April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (Fudd, Tim in PA), 404 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,480
Posts545,228
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#436296 02/18/16 10:43 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

In terms of technical advantage given best quality of make (H&H, Purdey, McKay Brown, Dickson) which is technically superior and why in comparing the Round Action vs. SLE?

I know that the small gauge Purdey SLE will beat out all in retaining and growing in value. I am interested in terms of mechanics.

Michael Dittamo
Topeka, KS
Sidelock
Sidelock

I think the head of the stock is considered somewhat stronger in the RA vs a sidelock.
That said, IMHO, if the hammerless boxlock had come first, neither design would have been bothered with.
That is the technically superior design.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

It's my opinion that the trigger plate round action is of superior design to the boxlock and sle. Like already mentioned the stock head is stronger than both the boxlock and sle, the action body is also more solid than a boxlock or sidelock. this allows one to reduce action body size of desired creating a more petite gun all around whilst still retaining strength.

I'm in the mindset that if the Dickson had been made in England it would have been more popular and copied more.

For these reasons I'm actually in the process of producing round actions in rimmed rifle calibers and shotguns.

Last edited by gunmaker; 02/18/16 12:30 PM.

A.M. Little Bespoke Gunmakers LLC.
Mineola, TX
Michael08TDK@yahoo.com
682-554-0044
Sidelock
Sidelock

In my opinion the Round Action is superior because the ejector work is not in the fore-end but is part of the action on the trigger plate, thus keeping the main weight between the hands leading to a better balanced gun and better handling.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hmmm. I would argue that the stock, especially in the head area is the weak part of the round action/blitz design. So much wood has to be hogged out to accommodate the trigger plate, etc. The "fillets" of the stock are often very thin and prone to damage. The stock design doesn't allow much error for bending either....kind of like a Darne, if the RA stock doesn't fit, best to move on.
The hallmark of the Scottish RA is the strength of the action and its beauty.
Rimmed double rifles have obviously been built and have proven to be very successful on all the listed actions, so that point is moot.
I think (from what I've seen) that the head of the boxlock has more points of contact and broader points of contact with the action than the other two mentioned actions, therefore it would be the stronger head design of the two.
The less parts a gun or machine has the more reliable it will be, the easier it will be to produce, the parts can be built more robustly, etc. There in lies the technical advantage from one type to the next.
Depending on the type and design of SLE, like comparing a Rogers action to a Beesely/Purdey action is like comparing apples to oranges. One is actually pretty simple, the other is a beautifully executed Rube Goldberg that is very difficult to produce and maintain.
Boxlocks are pretty much the same across the board with a few exceptions of course. I think boxlocks beat out both in terms of design, function, reliability, ease of maintenance, manufacture of parts, assembly, strength, etc.
If we are discussing aesthetics and beauty....both the SLE, hammergun, and RA easily beat the BL. :-)

Sidelock
Sidelock

I think if one action type was very superior to others, then the rest would have faded into history. The anson and deeley boxlock is probably inferior to a lot of sidelock actions, but yet it is a popular, strong, probably easier/cheaper to produce and adequate for shotgun pressures.

The Rigby/Bissell rising bite action is extremely good, being strong enough for double rifles as well as shotgun usage, but fell from favour as it was very expensive to make.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Each has its merits and its disadvantages . Holland pattern side lock is know every where and is simpler to repair as is the standard pattern Anson & Deeley boxlock. Round action guns and guns like the Purdey self opener are more complex and more difficult to repair and need a greater depth of knowledge and experience in doing so .
As to personal choice, handling and shootabilty I have no comment .

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm inclined to agree with Ted - and go for an Anson & Deeley boxlock.

Both the round action and the best grade SLEs (H&H, Beesley/Purdey) are superb work, but as an all rounder, the A&D is really hard to fault.

Of the Beesley based SLEs, the Henry Atkin 'Spring Opener' version of the Beesley is often considered (including by Gough Thomas) the finest version of that action.

Sidelock
Sidelock

As I recall virtually ALL the guns we have seen with cracked frames have been box locks. there is a lot of steel hogged out in the action body of a boxlock.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

Yea but it was the sidelock that did all the work, exploring continents, protecting settlers, leading the way. Then the boxlock showed up and tried to grab all the credit. Credit grabbers and Johnny-come-latelies, that's what boxlocks are.

And a boxlock is way beyond ugly. An old scrubber woman that cooks and cleans well enough but walks around the house in old grungy socks and combat boots.

Now a sidelock is a super model that's also a gourmet chef!!!! smile

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.