April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (Tim in PA, buckstix, SKB), 472 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,465
Posts545,068
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
steve f Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I've got a 16ga sxs with a proof date of 1917. If the safety is in the rear position, both triggers are locked. If you push the safety up one notch to the intermediate position, you can only pull the rear trigger, front is locked. On pulling the rear trigger, the safety jumps up to the forward position and you can then pull the front trigger.

If you push the safety all the way forward to start with, it operates a normal safety, both triggers are unlocked and you can fire the barrels in any order. It's not an auto safety btw.

Last edited by steve f; 02/05/16 05:38 PM.
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

I never saw this before, but it seems to be selective triggers.
Mike

steve f Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Der Ami
I never saw this before, but it seems to be selective triggers.
Mike

Don't know if I'd call it selective. In the rear position and the forward position it operates as a normal safety.

In the intermediate position you must fire the rear trigger first, the front trigger is locked and remains locked until you pull the rear trigger, the safety then physically jumps to the forward position allowing you to pull the front trigger.

Seems like it would be appropriate for driven game since you would be shooting more distant targets first with the left barrel and then closer targets with the right barrel.

Gun is a trigger plate action btw.

Last edited by steve f; 02/05/16 06:14 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

What origin is the gun please?

Cheers,
Gunwolf

steve f Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Gunwolf
What origin is the gun please?

Cheers,
Gunwolf

On the top rib, Rippberger, Weissenfels, A/SA. Bohler Blitzstahl barrels. No serial number, date code 1017 on the barrel flats, underneath the date code is the number '67'. Typical German proofs, U,W,S. The word 'Nitro' is stamped on the barrels in script, not block letters.

On the bottom of the barrels is stamped a very small man with a staff or club which looks like it could be the Sauer 'wildman' trademark, but again the stamp is very small.

Last edited by steve f; 02/05/16 11:51 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

And the gun is truly safe for the front trigger in the middle position?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Is you spelling correct? There was a Ripperger in a 1926-27 Adressbook:

Ripperger, R,, Waffenmstr. Weißenfels, Bergstr, 21. [Ki.]

http://forum.ahnenforschung.net/showthread.php?t=17452

Waffenmeister means Gunmaster.

Cheers,
Gunwolf

Last edited by Gunwolf; 02/06/16 09:35 AM.
steve f Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Gunwolf
Is you spelling correct? There was a Ripperger in a 1926-27 Adressbook:

Ripperger, R,, Waffenmstr. Weißenfels, Bergstr, 21. [Ki.]

http://forum.ahnenforschung.net/showthread.php?t=17452

Waffenmeister means Gunmaster.

Cheers,
Gunwolf

I think it must be the same person, just a slight misspelling in the address book. Thanks for the research.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Is there any position of the safety where both barrels fire when one pulls only one trigger? There are some waterfowl guns out there which will fire both barrels on one trigger pull if the shooter pulls one (I think it's usually the rear) trigger first.
I'll speculate this might be such a gun but with sort of a belt-and-suspenders system for choosing one, the other, or both barrels.
--

This is reminiscent of the fore-and-aft safety/selector combination on some early Miller single triggers.... As far as I'm concerned, a safe-handling nightmare....

Last edited by Dave in Maine; 02/08/16 02:29 PM.

fiery, dependable, occasionally transcendent
steve f Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Dave in Maine
Is there any position of the safety where both barrels fire when one pulls only one trigger? There are some waterfowl guns out there which will fire both barrels on one trigger pull if the shooter pulls one (I think it's usually the rear) trigger first.
I'll speculate this might be such a gun but with sort of a belt-and-suspenders system for choosing one, the other, or both barrels.
--

This is reminiscent of the fore-and-aft safety/selector combination on some early Miller single triggers.... As far as I'm concerned, a safe-handling nightmare....

Nope. As stated, Forward (normal) position, you can fire barrels normally. Rear position, Safe. Middle, you can only fire the left barrel, safety snaps forward simultaneously with the fall of the left hammer. There is a definite detent in the middle, but you can push through it easily to move the safety to the forward position.

A one-off request by a customer no doubt. Gun has a proof date of 1917 and with over-care by previous owners not being an issue, I'm a little amazed the safety works so well.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.