May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
8 members (Der Ami, graybeardtmm3, Ian Forrester, 3 invisible), 262 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,537
Posts546,030
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

It would be far simpler to just sight the rifle in to hit as far to the right as the scope is to the left- Then the targeting line of sight will be parallel with the bullet's flight path as far as one could wish to shoot (not considering wind).

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: BrentD
It would be far simpler to just sight the rifle in to hit as far to the right as the scope is to the left- Then the targeting line of sight will be parallel with the bullet's flight path as far as one could wish to shoot (not considering wind).

Unless you can sight it in at the farthest distance the bullet can travel, it will never be truly parallel to the bore's centerline! You could sight it in at the maximum range you think you'll ever fire, but that will still make a slight difference at everything closer.
This will work great for hunting rifles, as accuracy is minute of deer. But an offset mount isn't a good choice for accurate target shooting.

Last edited by Vall; 01/20/16 12:01 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

No, if the scope centerline is, for example, 3/4" left of the center line of the bore, and you sight the rifle so that it is hitting 3/4" right of the aiming point, then, disallowing for actual wind and spin-drift, it will be 3/4" at every distance from 0 yds, to 10,000.

_________

Sidelock
Sidelock

Vall, have you ever heard of a guy by the name of Jack Odor?

_________

SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I know Jack very well, we hunt together sometimes and he is a client. That guy can really shoot with left eye........

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

Yeah, exactly. He is among the very top target shooters in the country, shooting everything from benchrest Schuetzen to 1000 yds creedmoor. Offhand, sticks, bench it doesn't matter. And his sights are offset a few INCHES, not fractions of an inch, to the left.

He is also a really nice guy.

_________

SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I just talked to him yesterday and forgot to ask how he did in Iowa on deer. His house is like the museum of natural history as well. Every species of NA duck possible, B&C whitetails, Mulies, Antelope and a huge Grizzly as well, and Jack is one hell of a nice guy as noted.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

I agree that if you know exactly the distance from centerline to centerline, and you can judge the same exact difference when looking at a target 200 yds. away, then by all means it works. But if you're approximating any part of this, then it's going to change at varying distances. I suppose with enough calculations of outside diameter of the scope, barrel, it could be calculated pretty close, and maybe exactly for someone with the right equipment. Don't forget to include external taper of the barrel when doing all those calculations. And be sure whoever tapered it checked run out from the bore too!
I'd have a tough time estimating 3/4" at 200 yds., unless the scope used had pretty good magnification. Since my old guns get old scopes, then 6x is about as high power as my scopes get. Again, if it's for hunting purposes, then it's not a concern.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Don't tell this guy you cant shoot targets with offset sights. Baker does quite well with them, including being on a national championship team as well as setting several grand senior national records.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Think the offset sights would be much like regulating a double rifle.
The trajectories should cross at some point.
Adjust elevation for range and probably have to tweak the windage.
Could certainly be made to work
Chuck

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.