May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (SXS 40, HalfaDouble, 2 invisible), 225 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,565
Posts546,389
Members14,423
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
#4279 10/04/06 07:30 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hi....you did say you fancied an older though not ancient SxS.If I were looking for my first gun, with lets round it to $1000...I'd be looking for a nicely made Belgian no-name/guild 2 3/4" Boxlock,or the same from Germany.. like the other lads said, a Sauer, Simson, Geco,Buhag or something like that.
I've seen nice guns on Gunsamerica for that kinda cash.
Make sure the stock is a good fit, though they of course can be bent a bit most ways & lengthened with a pad...Get it checked by a GOOD DoubleGun 'Smith for the important stuff such as lock up, bbl dimentions & general shootability & you should have a nice first Gun to shoot with confidence & pride.
If your getting into older Guns, you might think of reloading,mostly for less pressure than Dollars , ha ha.
good luck mate
Franc

#4280 10/04/06 07:51 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Stroud: You mentioned shooting steel on ducks. You probably know this, but it's a bad idea to shoot steel through any old double. TT

"The very acme of duck shooting is a big 10, taking ducks in pass shooting only." - Charles Askins
#4281 10/04/06 07:09 PM

The world is full of used ok euro doubles that will meet your requirements. As a example, here is what looks like a 60's gun, sidelock, ejector, Brno/CZ (made in the Czech Rep, not a Turkish gun marketed by CZ)on Gunbroker that is currently sitting for under $300 http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=57552359
Even if it closes for $500-$600 its a deal. I also see a lot of AYA's that close for under $500. Good solid guns that beat Stevens 311's and Fox model B's for both quality and often cost.

#4282 10/04/06 07:39 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ken1,

That's a decent gun you cited, with coil spring sidelocks. Nothing to be ashamed of there, and y'r right: a lot more 'shotgunnery' than the contemporary American guns, albeit our guns are stout -- but very often somewhat clubby handling.

Altho this is a oft repeated topic, used Ugartechea Model 30's turn up in the market, Cabela's at Dundee having had a half dozen recently in all sorts of configurations.

Mostly they were straight hand game guns, but some were light and slender as in the ideal upland style, while a couple were 12ga Three inch guns that were heavily built and magnum proofed. the 'asking' was around the 800.00$ USD mark.

The usual caveat: yes, one may get a set of soft firing pins or improperly hardened sears. It happens. There are able smiths to remedy such probs, and if they go thru the gun and corrct anyother deficiencies, you still have a gam-y gun that will give good service and one that strongly resembles a half-way decent game gun. Just opinion and I expect everyone else to have theirs.

More opinion, based on experience and actual use: If a person wants a rugged waterfowling double the SO Model SxS imported by DeHaan will hold up in the worst conditions and usage -- tho I am not on saltwater, so can't speak to that. Examine the technical specs and you will see why theyare dang near weather proof.

All I do to add to it is romove the stock bolt, and fore arm iroons, soak the wood thor'ly with spar varnish, heavily wax the metal, and reassemble when the varnish is almost set hard.

My last SO is still doing duty as the club's trap boy and utility gun, is smoothly tight, and hasn't malfunctioned to date. As in all such reports, your milage may vary, but that's the latest on that particular gun.

This topic always draws advice and over the years it just gets better an more realistic. For sure, i do belive I'd add the NID to the group of rugged guns, tho I've never been taken by their aesthetics, myself. They dom however, certainly have the persona of a quintessential American hunting gun.

Lots of fun to read such strings and see what's 'new'in the common experience. now that the seasons are hear, happy powder smoke and falling birds to all hunters and their dogs.

Relax; we're all experts here.
#4283 10/04/06 08:04 PM
Stroud Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Wow i never expected such a turn out on responses. This forum by far seems to be full of knowledge, opinion, and friendly advice. Thanks for all the responses. Now I must digest and decide. Stay tuned. But feel free to add more.
Thanks,
S

#4284 10/04/06 08:20 PM

Take a look at our site doublegunhq.com. Under $1K 12 bore with English grip we have: Nice Gorosabel BL, clean Arizaga SL, very nice Ugartechea BL. In this price range we like the Remington 1900 guns and we have two or three, but these are pistol grip guns with quite a bit of drop.

doublegunhq.com
Fine English, American and German Double Shotguns and Rifles
#4285 10/04/06 10:59 PM

While I own and enjoy the older American SxS's, my suggestion to a new SxS shooter would be to purchase a NEW import. There are many well under the $900 price range including HUGLU, CZ Bobwhite, Remington Spartan, Biakal, etc. Most come with choke tubes and a warranty.

#4286 10/05/06 09:14 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Definitely get a light 16ga. if you can, and I would agree with the light 16ga. guild gun as a great option. Lots of Belgian and German 16's out there for around $500-$700. Even saw a 16b Manufrance Robust recently for about $500 that looked fine, with straight stock and good bores.

Imagination is everything. - Einstein
#4287 10/07/06 11:30 AM
Stroud Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Here are 3 that I have been looking at. Any thoughts and what questions should I ask?
Thanks.

http://www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976740040.htm
http://www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976751380.htm
http://www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976727135.htm

#4288 10/07/06 01:12 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I don't know how you're built but the Belgian has a short stock with a fair amount of drop, the Sauer sidelock has a very loose lockup(I've examined this gun) and will need to be reworked by a competent gunsmith but is very attractively priced for a sidelock. Thad Scott does have some buys and I like to buy from him but be sure to ask lots of questions. Plan on doing some kind of work or small restoration on his bargain guns. You can always return what you don't like but shipping and receiving fees can eat into your budget quickly. My personal recommendation is the Sauer/Merkel/Simson extractor boxlocks in the $700/$900 range. Well engineered, built to modern dimensions and very reliable. Nice guns for the money and many to choose from as there are lots of guys from the U.S. cleaning out Europe's closets these days. Good luck on your quest.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.