March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (NCTarheel, Marc Ret, Lloyd3, Ted Schefelbein, 2 invisible), 338 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,003
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

Just throwing this out to you as a possibility. The seller is an FFL dealer who apparently doesn't know a whole lot about this type of firearm, and who says he will be listing several more in the near future. I wonder if he may have taken in a collection from a deceased collector to sell on consignment, and the guns were stored with the bolts removed and stored separately to discourage theft. I've met a couple people who do that. This dealer might have just taken a pile of guns and bolts from the estate and tried them out until he found one that fit. He may still have the correct bolt for this gun in another Springfield rifle. A call or e-mail to the dealer is worth a try and certainly cheaper than headspace gauges or replacing the bolt or bolt handle.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

reb87 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

A good thought Keith. I will pursue it! I am thinking not though because the part with the safety is blued while the bolt body is parkerised and the safety lever is for a scope.

Last edited by reb87; 11/28/15 10:55 PM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Keith's advice is good. My dad tries to maximize the space in
his gun safe by removing the bolts. I can see how easily if
the owner dies and someone inherits things, bolts can become united with the wrong rifles. I think a year or so ago there
was an NRA sporter on gunbroker with a bolt that was serial numbered to a different rifle.

Oddly enough, a similar thing happened to me. I won 1903
in an Amokseag silent auction, only to find that someone
shoved a military bolt into a sporter. Fortunately I had
also won a parts grouping several months previously that also
included a nice sporter bolt. Both bolts headspaced correctly
as did a third that I tried with the action.

So my advice, for what it is worth, is

1. Try Keith's idea, if it doesn't work

2. Be patient and see what happens in the next six months and see if any parts groupings show up on gunbroker or ebay that look like they might include a bolt that would look good with your rifle.

3. If the current bolt works ok, as far as shooting it with iron sights, then maybe have a new handle welded on to work with the scope. I think the Parkerizing could be removed and you could polish the bolt bright.

I like the shape of the cheek piece and color case-hardened
Niedner butt plate.

Fred

Sidelock
Sidelock

I would also try Keith's idea. I can't help but to think the seller knew of the problem and didn't disclose it.
This is a case for asking lots of questions before bidding. However, when you first posted the auction I didn't notice and most people wouldn't either, but every picture with the scope shows the bolt open. There are no pictures of the bolt closed with the scope.
BTW, very nice rifle and a great buy. The good thing is the problem can be easily rectified
Art

Last edited by texraid; 11/29/15 01:07 AM.
reb87 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I talked to the seller and I am sure he didnt know. He is a class 3 guy and custom springfields are not in his lexicon. He said there were no more springfields but a pile of parts and he will have the grandson in charge of the estate go thru the parts. He felt bad and I told him I was very happy with the rifle anyway. Im pretty gun savvy and it still took me a while to figure out the problem. I was focused on the placement of the scope in the mount and didnt look at the bolt until I had exhausted the scope. I wonder if someone wanted an 03a4 replica and used the bolt for it. Lots of military collector people I know would look with disgust on any sporter.

Sidelock
Sidelock

reb,

If your not successful in a search for the correct bolt let me know. I believe I have several turned down bolts and some weld on handles as well.

Regards,
Ken

Dodging lions and wasting time.....
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.