May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (earlyriser, MattH, Ted Schefelbein, FlyChamps), 222 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,493
Posts545,327
Members14,410
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I am looking for data from one of the earlier Vihtavouri reloading manuals about loading the .22 Vierling? Anyone have a copy?
Thanks!
Jim

Sidelock
Sidelock

3rd Edition

40 Grains FMJ 101G SAKO N110 8.5 2460 34,809

Last edited by skeettx; 11/24/15 10:01 PM.

USAF RET 1971-95 [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ohiochuck,
You didn't mention what type rifle you are loading for. If it is a single shot rifle or an insert barrel(einstecklauf), then either the sights or the insert can be adjusted for point of impact. On the other hand, if it is one of the several configurations of combination guns with a large caliber rifle, it may not be easy to find a proper load. The sights(scope)should match the large rifle, so you don't have the option to change the sights. Therefore, unless you have something like a BLAZER with adjustable barrel, you will pretty much have to match the ballistics of the load it was regulated with. There were loadings available with pretty wide differences, depending on age and intended use of the gun. There was an article in the latest( number 56, I think)WAIDMANNSHEIL that addresses this. The various levels of available ammunition is shown in the article and gives guidance as to velocity/bullet to match and hopefully find a useful point of impact. Reprints of WAIDMANNSHEIL are available from The German Gun Collectors ASSN., for a nominal price.
Mike

Last edited by Der Ami; 11/25/15 11:19 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Don't know if this is any help or not...

Sidelock
Sidelock

my Vihtavuori reloading manual from the 80's gives the following for 5.6x35R (.22 Vierling)

Bullet 40 grain FMJ 101G Sako 8.5 grain N110 2460 ft/sec 2400bar

rgds
Gunter

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Mike it is a Franz Sodia –Ferlach 20 X 20 X 5.6X35R 2.5 g MC made 341. The 20 bore chambers are listed as 70 mm.
Yes, I received the article in the latest WAIDMANNSHEIL that addresses the .22 Vierling. You did a nice job writing a very informative article!
Some .22 Hornet cases will fit when the action is closed and others will not let the action close. I found a box of RWS .22 Vierling ammo 5.6X35R (Sinoxid)2.55 g / 0.43 g RVP made in West Germany (copper jacketed bullet with an exposed lead flat tip like the photo on page 16 of your article except the photo seems to show a bullet with a silver jacket and exposed flat tip of lead. There appears to be a black primer sealant on my ammo. I found it difficult to test for accuracy at 50 yds due to the very thick cross hairs. A scope change is needed and I need to measure the bore and the chamber.
Any suggestions are very welcomed. Thanks to all who responded.
Jim McKee

Last edited by ohiochuck; 11/26/15 10:02 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Jim, I suspect your gun would have been regulated with one of the faster loads, since it is pretty modern. You didn't list a large rifle caliber, so I'm interested in the configuration of the barrels. Is it a vierling, or a scheinedrilling, or a bockdrilling? Since you have factory ammo, you should chronograph it and note the point of impact. This will give you a "leg up" in deciding on a load. If you don't have a large rifle barrel to worry about, you could simply decide on a load that groups well and "sight in" for it. The RWS cases you have will likely be primed with a small( if my memory is correct, about 4.5mm)berdan primers. I still load berdan primed ammo, but with 5.5mm and 6.45mm primers; I don't know where you can find the small ones. You may rather use modified 22 Hornet cases. Conventional wisdom advises thinning the rims from the front. If I were making cases for myself, I would go ahead and thin from the rear. If necessary to remove enough that seating a primer is difficult, I would deepen the primer pocket with a Lyman primer pocket uniformer.What you do is up to you, however. The black primer sealant is interesting. Black primers are used to ID 8x57IRS ammo, to prevent use in 8x57IR rifles. I wonder if the black sealer means your bullets are .224", have you pulled one and measured it"? If your scope is German or Austrian, I wouldn't change it out(you didn't say how it is mounted).Your "rig" is made for hunting, which is often done in low light conditions, making a heavy reticle and large exit pupil diameter advantageous. Also, you are correct that the bullet is silver colored, with a flat lead nose.
Mike

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

The scope is a Weaver 1X4 with very thick cross hairs. I will pull one of the bullets to measure it. This is a drilling sidelock.
Jim

Last edited by ohiochuck; 11/27/15 11:45 PM.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.