April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (rtw, WJW, AGS, 1 invisible), 753 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,467
Posts545,121
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

Congrats PhysDoc

If I had seen it quick enough I would have dropped everything and drove the 135 miles as quick as I could before the seller wised up and changed his mind. wink

Glad you got it. A rifle like this deserves to be owned by someone who owns it because they appreciate it for what it is.

The remodelled Springfield is the best and most suitable all 'round rifle. - Seymour Griffin wink

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks for the kind words and congratulatory comments, and thanks even more for all the things that I've learned here over the years.

Lynn, I don't know if I would have ever really known what a Noske scope was it it hadn't been for this thread that you started

scopes and mounts

So as Thanksgiving approaches, let me just say that I am thankful for you guys and your knowledge and kindness. I hope to pass as much as I can to my children.

drduc, for what is worth, I hear you. My first shotgun was
a Model 12 featherweight, now it seems like everyone including
my older brother wants a Bennelli. I wonder how much things will swing back. I've got a fair number of returning soldiers
in my classes, for those of them that are into guns, I wonder how their tastes will evolve over time.

LRF Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

PhysDoc
That thread was one of Michael's best for a teaching/learning moment. His collecting and sharing helped us all.

Hard to imagine I know but someday the black rifle will be like the Springfield...the only question is what will be developed to replace the black rifle.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I find myself wishing that others would post follow-up pictures to the guns they won on auctions and then thinking that I owe some follow-up pictures and a few other things as well. So, I am going to start here with some pictures of the rifle in this tread.

To refresh your memories, it was listed on gunbroker as
simply Springfield 30-06 sporter with a buy-it-now price of $285

It is a Sedgley 1903 with a Noske scope and sidemount. Someone also kept the slide for the Lyman 48 sight with it and a set of leather scope covers.

I asked Dan to run the serial number after I took possession of it, and he said that it was listed as a National Match which explains the star-gauge mark at the end of the barrel

you can see a portion of a barrel date just to the side of the front sight

and while the bolt has been polished, the electropenciled serial number is still visible

The downside is that the stock is cracked just by the end of the triggerguard, I think it happened early on and the rifle was just put in a rack where it sat for a long time.

Hopefully this winter, I will get the stock fixed up

Sidelock
Sidelock

That crack looks like one that is easily and invisibly reparable. As fresh as it looks through the checkering, it may have happened on its way to you.

Bill Ferguson
Sidelock
Sidelock

Wow, great buy! Thanks for sharing

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.