April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (graybeardtmm3, Upland 28, welder, Licensed to kill), 1,177 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,468
Posts545,140
Members14,409
Most Online1,271
Apr 26th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Stan
Originally Posted By: B. Graham
Thank you, Stan. I will consider this all carefully.

I read the thread about the repair technique used, and it's along the lines of what I was going to do, except I was going to drill and tap for a threaded rod, rather than solder. Locktite would hold them in place, and I could make a few pairs in the event that they needed to be replaced again. One significant difference in my plan was drilling through ejector, and then cleaning up the outer surface, and that seems to be the bad part of my plan from what I'm gathering. I suppose because it would weaken the ejector?

Drilling through would require tig welding to hide the hole, then dressing off to try and hide what you've done. Just a bad idea, IMO. Much better to silver solder the pin into the hole you drilled, just not all the way through the ejector blade. Silver solder is a good deal stronger than soft solder, which is used on the ribs. It will hold the pin forever, if done properly. Really much easier than threading the end of the pin, then tapping the hole in the ejector. Also, if you don't carefully turn a shoulder on the pin, when you snug it down it may "cock" itself to one side and not be true to the pin hole. Better to use the hole as a jig to keep it all aligned perfectly, I think.

My repair that I described in the link I posted for you is all but indistinguishable from an original ejector. Your way might end up that way, too, but with much more effort, it seems to me.

SRH

Thank you. I have access to mills, lathes, and other machinist equipment, and a fellow who knows how to use it all. I think that the approach you took is great and more than likely what we'll go with it. Sharing the plan I had, before knowing of a different approach, has helped me get a deeper understanding of the issue. I appreciate all of the feedback.

What I envisioned with the threaded rod approach was somelike what I've done with filling holes in drill and tapped rifle receivers. Using a right size screw, Locktite, and then machining down the screw hear to be flush the the surface being filled is a process that's worked well for me before. But, I get your point, and your process being more of a traditional and simpler repair method makes it the way to go.

Last edited by B. Graham; 11/10/15 11:11 AM.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Regarding it being sound to shoot, and the opinion that it is not because of risk to the ejectors: can I disable the ejection until I can the rods replaced? If so, what would be disabled, and would it be OK to shoot then?

Thanks.

Sidelock
Sidelock

You may have some slightly bulged heads on the shells from shooting it before fitting those guide rods. Maybe not at all. It sure would not be a safety issue due to the rods missing.

BTW, I believe those secondary small outboard guide rods are silver brazed into the ejectors. I can see the ends clearly on the breach face end of the ejectors in my Fox. I would use a propane torch and heat it slowly until you can push out the broken stub.

Last edited by Chuck H; 11/11/15 10:12 AM.
SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

They may have been silver brazed at one point in production. On the NOS ejectors the secondary guide rods are integral to the ejectors. A fair amount of work involved in fitting a new set. When repairing ones that have separated I usually TIG a new rod in place.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Chuck H
I would use a propane torch and heat it slowly until you can push out the broken stub.

I've already started the process described earlier in the thread; the step where you file down the remnants of the proken pin flush, then mark, and drill. I've filed thus far, so it will be hard to find a hold to twist the stub once it's hot to see if it will come out.

I'll likely heat it up anyway. Maybe it will fall out on it's own if it wasn't a snug fit to begin with. I wouldn't have to drill if that was the case, and that would be GREAT.

Disabling the ejection: it's been stated that shooting it this way will apply excessive strain on the ejectors, which could result in breaking something expensive and hard to find and fit. So I figured disabling the ejector function would prevent this, and I can shoot the gun while working through the pin repair.

What's the process people advise for disabling ejection, and is it simple to reverse once my pin repair is complete?

Last edited by B. Graham; 11/11/15 11:06 AM.
SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

To convert a Fox to extractor you need to replace the ejector springs with weaker springs. Simply removing the springs will not give the ejectors enough travel to lift the spent cartridges. Converting back to ejector just requires the re-installation of the original springs.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: SKB
To convert a Fox to extractor you need to replace the ejector springs with weaker springs. Simply removing the springs will not give the ejectors enough travel to lift the spent cartridges. Converting back to ejector just requires the re-installation of the original springs.

Thank you. Not intending to be dense: this sounds like a weaker version of what I already have, and what I already have should not be shot because of risk to the ejectors. What's unclear to me is where the tipping point is for risk vs. no risk. Is it the force of the process of ejection? By using weaker springs the reduction in force eliminates the risk of damage?

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Heating didn't release the remnants of the old pins, unfortunately.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I'm going to find someone to send it to. I don't want to mess it up myself. I looked it a bit, and now I'll stop.

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.