April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (oskar, graybeardtmm3), 989 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,467
Posts545,124
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I have a few pieces of wood that have an abunance of oil finish in their checkering, and the checkered areas a slippery. I'd like to remove some of it, without refinishing the entire piece.

If this is doable, I'm thinking I'd mask off well, and gently use a solvent of some sort, and a soft little tooth brush to scrub it out.

What am I not thinking of? Is this a disaster waiting to happen? Just interested in making a modest improvement and learning along the way.

Thanks.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Over finishing is a problem with the rub-a-dub set.
I see dozens of over finished guns, and am offered dozens of products, solely for the purpose of rub-a-dubbing.

It's a scourge among SxS afficionados. Worse yet, people think evidently that more finish is even better, so they rub-a-dub until an old shellac finished gun looks like a Citori.

To answer your question, you can mechanically remove some with sharp checkering tools or needle files, a toothbrush with some fine abrasive, perhaps but more realistically, it's a solvent and replacement job.
It's possible the checkering was worn off, and replaced by carving new diamonds into hard finish or super glue.

Proceed with caution, look carefully at what you are trying to change.

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I like a soft and warm lustre, and not a high-gloss glassy finish. One of my other loves are old stringed instruments. I've been a double bass player for most of my life, and have spent a lot of time with hide glue, wooden cleats, and linen pathes. The newer high gloss lacquer finishes are not what an old hand rubbed oil finish is, and I like the same finish on a gun.

I don't want to cut anything. I think the tooth brush approach will be what I try. If I can't get it all out, at least I can knock off the glare a little bit and make it less slippery.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Proceed with caution
First do no harm
Might want to try cigar ash first

IN AN UNOBTRUSIVE PLACE to get an idea of how hard the finish is to cut back (like under the forearm or the trigger guard)

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Cotton bud [think you call them Qtips ] and paint thinners . A small area at a time and when the oil/polish has been softened bush lightly/gently with a soft brass brush like a suede brush , brush not scrub . .
Try a small area at a time and be patient .You may have to go over it twice

Sidelock
Sidelock

This problem of filled in chequering is the gun buyers perennial problem and over many years I have dealt with it in many ways, I have come to the conclusion a feint hearted approach just makes hours of laborious boring work. Now I must say at the start that I have no fears at all in completely re finishing a gun stock and sometimes after hours and hours of work sorting out chequering I come to the conclusion a refinish was probably the best answer. That said I have found this method reasonably quick and very successful. First mask off the chequering using ELECTRICAL INSULATION TAPE do not use normal decorating or car paint paper masking tape firstly it allows things to creep under it whereas electrical tape does not. Also it has a far better quality adhesive and a superior grip. Then mask of the rest of the stock completely with polythene sheet which always takes longer than cleaning out the chequering. Then I use standard thixotropic paint stripper applied to the chequered area with a small brush leave the stripper to work the recommended time then remove the soffend finish with a small steel or brass brush. Tooth brushes work well for a couple of minutes then start to soften and dissolve. To neutralise the stripper before I remove the masking I use paint thinner. To remove the Electrical tape from the stock heat it with a hair dryer it relaxes its grip and there is less chance it will pull of any finish when you remove it.

Last edited by damascus; 11/11/15 08:46 PM.

The only lessons in my life I truly did learn from where the ones I paid for!
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thank you all for your recommendations. I believe I can accomplish this. Once I do, should any finish be applied to the checkering, to at least provide some protection from water, dirt, etc.?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Just apply raw Linseed Oil to the chequering using a tooth brush, mop up any excess oil from the chequering with a paper towel.

The only lessons in my life I truly did learn from where the ones I paid for!
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: damascus
Just apply raw Linseed Oil to the chequering using a tooth brush, mop up any excess oil from the chequering with a paper towel.

Surprised by the use of electrical tape. I've never thought of it as particularly adhesive, but I will give it a try. Thank you.

Sidelock
Sidelock

To reiterate a point that has been covered many times, make sure you use a food grade raw linseed oil (flax) for the final coat. Do not use a utility grade type found at your local hardware store.

Regards
Ken

Last edited by Ken61; 11/13/15 10:35 AM.

I prefer wood to plastic, leather to nylon, waxed cotton to Gore-Tex, and split bamboo to graphite.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.