March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (Dan R), 819 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,015
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 18 1 2 3 4 17 18
Sidelock
Sidelock

Geo. has a valid point.
Sometimes the technique used to make someone shut their yap is just a threatening letter. Sometimes it's a lawsuit you can't afford to fight.

Your IP is not anonymous. Your provider is not anonymous. Nor any of the gadgets linked to them.

My understanding is that if there is observable economic loss, internet name calling is a real expensive compulsion.

I only know one person here that has seemingly experienced economic loss due to internet opinions. He's probably the best potential client for a budding loya.

There may of course be other measurables that come in to play, but the one I'm most familiar with is Yelp!

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Geo. Newbern
I knew this thread would turn into a lawyer bashing. Don't bother me none though; I'm just an elderly country lawyer in the twilight of a mediocre career anyway. I don't want a new specialty, I'd rather buy and research an interesting new/old gun.

My op was not meant to be threatening to anyone, but the knowledge that this stuff is out there really ought to give pause to those who don't realize that there is no anonymity on the internet. And that there are those who would like to capitalize on a new twist in litigation...Geo

Sorry George, I was just trying to make a funny. That's all.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: canvasback
Sorry George, I was just trying to make a funny. That's all.

Not to worry Can, I took it in the spirit intended. Besides, I'm a lawyer hater myself. I despise other people's lawyers!...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: craigd
You might pm nca though. Seems he has the makings of an enthusiastic clerk.

Swing...and a miss!

Forum: a medium of discussion/expression of ideas. https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/forum
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: nca225
Seems to me Geo. that several regular posters on this forum whom frequently make defaming statements about specific posters on this site with resect to their integrity and business dealings might have some reason to be concerned about their conduct...

Seems to me that nca225 is still a coward and a slimy piece of shit who thought I would just forgive and forget that he posted filthy remarks about my daughters. Maybe nca would like to sue me for reminding folks what a low life scumbag he is and for giving my fact based opinion. Perhaps nca really is such an idiot that he forgot about repeatedly making "defaming statements" with "resect" (sic) to my business dealings and integrity by repeatedly lying about my purchase of a Lefever shotgun.

I did some of my own research into this topic awhile back when one of Geo's fellow lawyers suggested that I could be sued. I learned that it is still quite legal to give your opinion about someone, whether it is on the internet or on TV or in an article or editorial. I learned that you should not make obvious libelous or slanderous statements. These are statements that you know to be false. If you know or believe or can prove someone is a liar or a slimy piece of shit, for example, then you have not slandered that person. If you have the brains to save a quote that shows someone is a liar or anti-gun or even a scumbag that said filthy things about your daughters, that aggrieved person can wipe their ass with their crybaby complaint. I frequently call Ed Good an Anti-Gunner and have saved dozens of his Anti-Gun statements. Ed Good calls me an Anti-Gun mole but could never provide one anti-gun word from me. Which of us might have a problem if I was a thin-skinned pussy? Actual libel or slander is very difficult, read expensive, to prove, and actual damages tougher yet. It was suggested that I should be sued to create financial damage or disincentive to me, legal censorship and punishment if you will. I learned that life is a two-way street and that I could always counter sue or even file an anti-SLAPP action in some states to recover legal fees. I also learned that the vast majority of these cases end up enriching the plaintiff's lawyer and go nowhere.

As always, everything I post on this forum is my opinion.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Keith, did you ever think that there are people that sue for sport? Or that just by volume they could break you?
I'm guessing you haven't had to respond to many complaints.

I'd think twice about your position on litigation.

There's always a bigger gorilla, and it's best not to rattle his cage.

It doesn't matter to some people if they break you with judgements or fee's. They just like to see you sweat, and go broke.
And then, as you tilt at the windmill, and slowly go broke, your family turns on you, you insurance company turns on you, and your Lawyer quits because you can't pay.
Then they really start to grind on you.

With the internet, you can be served in whatever jurisdiction the loss occurred. I think I'd pick Manhattan.

Got the cash ready to spend to argue about name calling in Manhattan Keith? I'd ask my wife about her thoughts on that.

Just the hotel bills from the delays and interruptions break most people there.

keith #424396 10/31/15 09:32 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: keith

I did some of my own research into this topic awhile back when one of Geo's fellow lawyers suggested that I could be sued. I learned that it is still quite legal to give your opinion about someone, whether it is on the internet or on TV or in an article or editorial. I learned that you should not make obvious libelous or slanderous statements. These are statements that you know to be false. If you know or believe or can prove someone is a liar or a slimy piece of shit, for example, then you have not slandered that person. If you have the brains to save a quote that shows someone is a liar or anti-gun or even a scumbag that said filthy things about your daughters, that aggrieved person can wipe their ass with their crybaby complaint. I frequently call Ed Good an Anti-Gunner and have saved dozens of his Anti-Gun statements. Ed Good calls me an Anti-Gun mole but could never provide one anti-gun word from me. Which of us might have a problem if I was a thin-skinned pussy? Actual libel or slander is very difficult, read expensive, to prove, and actual damages tougher yet. It was suggested that I should be sued to create financial damage or disincentive to me, legal censorship and punishment if you will. I learned that life is a two-way street and that I could always counter sue or even file an anti-SLAPP action in some states to recover legal fees. I also learned that the vast majority of these cases end up enriching the plaintiff's lawyer and go nowhere.

As always, everything I post on this forum is my opinion.

Sounds like we have an F. Lee Bailey in our mists here!

But really, I'm pretty sure there are three or four lawyers on this board who are chuckling at your post there princess. Would you mind explaining exactly WHO got defamed?

Last edited by nca225; 10/31/15 10:22 AM.

Forum: a medium of discussion/expression of ideas. https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/forum
Sidelock
Sidelock

You kids still don't get it.

You are spending Dave's money. Not yours.

Sidelock
Sidelock

All this fussin' and fightin'-tsk, tsk. I suggest you debate less contentious topics. Try religion. I'm sure that won't cause any problems.

Sidelock
Sidelock

CZ, I don't know if the US is most litigious place on earth, as many say, but you'd think by now members would know truth is not an absolute defence against libel, slander, defamation.

Page 2 of 18 1 2 3 4 17 18

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.