April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (Tim in PA, barrel browner, KDGJ), 473 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,479
Posts545,201
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 17 18
#424261 10/30/15 11:08 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I got this continuing legal education advertisement this morning, laughed out loud, and thought of our doublegun misfires forum. Think I should sign up?...Geo

Fundamentals of Online Defamation Litigation >>
CLE Video Re-Broadcast | November 19, 2015
3 HR CLE (2:00 - 5:15 PM Eastern)
This class is designed to provide an introduction to online defamation litigation. We will discuss the laws that create a cause of action, the information an attorney should obtain from a prospective client to properly evaluate a case, and an overview of the major legal issues that may come up during the case. By the end of the class you will know what causes of action may be available to your client, the factors you should consider when selecting a litigation forum, how to identify the person who posted the material, the most common defenses and objections raised in such litigation, and how to use a judgment to remove content from the internet. Learn more / Register online...
Key Topics:
• Potential causes of action
• Information to obtain from your client
• Ethical obligation to vet your client’s allegations
• Statute of limitations considerations
• Application of the discovery rule and single publication rule
• Deciding whether to sue a specific person, entity, or a John Doe defendant
• Identifying the person who posted the material
• What an IP address is and why you need it
• How to match up an IP address with a specific internet service provider
• How to get an account holder’s name and address from an internet service provider
• Common defenses and objections
• Measure of damages
• Using a judgment to remove content from the internet
Presented by:
Christopher B. Ingle is a litigation attorney with Rose Law Group, PC, where he is the chair of the cyberlaw department. Mr. Ingle’s practice focuses on commercial litigation, online defamation and harassment, defining the boundaries between free speech and actionable conduct such as bullying, preventing and responding to cyberattacks and data breaches, and protecting intellectual property on the internet.

Logan Elia has a diverse practice that includes years of experience in business litigation, cyber law, and civil appeals. In addition, Elia leverages his courtroom experience – some of which he gained working as a prosecutor – to assist his clients in criminal defense, adversarial bankruptcy proceedings, and construction law.

mc Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

is that the same rose law firm that hillary clinton worked for

Sidelock
Sidelock

Don't even have to visit face to face with a client. Can sit at home, surf the net and email 'em in your underwear. Next month's class, navigating the virtual court room. Tell it to the judge by clicking on the gavel.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Seems to me Geo. that several regular posters on this forum whom frequently make defaming statements about specific posters on this site with resect to their integrity and business dealings might have some reason to be concerned about their conduct...

Forum: a medium of discussion/expression of ideas. https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/forum
mc #424275 10/30/15 12:14 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: mc
is that the same rose law firm that hillary clinton worked for

Beats me. Ain't progress and technology wonderful! Who knew that using a snappy 'nom de net' was no protection at all of your identity when anyone with an IT department would like to make your acquaintance...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Could be opportunity knocks? Is the net the new ambulance. Do you really need an IT dept or just a scary looking letterhead. Yes, we can process that settlement online. Next.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Craig, almost makes me wish I'd become a lawyer. Almost, but not quite. LOL

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I knew this thread would turn into a lawyer bashing. Don't bother me none though; I'm just an elderly country lawyer in the twilight of a mediocre career anyway. I don't want a new specialty, I'd rather buy and research an interesting new/old gun.

My op was not meant to be threatening to anyone, but the knowledge that this stuff is out there really ought to give pause to those who don't realize that there is no anonymity on the internet. And that there are those who would like to capitalize on a new twist in litigation...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

George, in my opinion, everyone hates lawyers, except for the one that they use.

I love my lawyer. He has collected many, many, many thousands of dollars for me that I would have otherwise gone without. And he has protected my money from several rascals, scoundrels, and thieves that had hired lawyers. When I was a young man I drove 60,000 miles a year for my construction business and I also had a heavy foot. He kept the State of Texas from revoking my driving privilege. He got me title to an undivided interest in a farm I inherited from an executrix determined to beat me out of it. He saved my son from a difficult situation involving a Trans Am and a light pole and the police.

So Stewart is one of the finest human beings in the universe in my book.

But the rest of y'all are all rascals.

I am glad to be here.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Geo. Newbern
I knew this thread would turn into a lawyer bashing....

Naw, it's all in fun. You might pm nca though. Seems he has the makings of an enthusiastic clerk. You can spruce up the old cabin, no metal siding please, and he can do all the grunt work for your new venture.

Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 17 18

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.