April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (Argo44, graybeardtmm3, Jem Finch, 67galaxie, 2 invisible), 1,117 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,468
Posts545,141
Members14,409
Most Online1,271
3 hours ago
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

The Vaver sight made its debut in 1935. With two introductory articles in the AMERICAN RIFLEMAN the price is not mentioned in early advertising. The Vaver was a one-sight-fits-all. A mounting plate was designed for each type of rifle. The 03 had two different mounting plates. The first sight had a large single screw and later models had a two-screw mounting plate. The ad stated that "adjustment is by dial with frusto conical spiral leads". Each click is 1/4 min for elevation and windage. With only 40 clicks of elevation it makes it almost perfect for small bore shooting and a little short for big bore target work.

Gary Bush

Sidelock
Sidelock

Very stylish…
Some explanation might be in order.
How do they work, what era, what gun?
I presume the nautilus actuates the elevation?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Oh sure! Rub it in. wink

There was an '03 at a couple of shows here sporting a Vaver. By the time I remembered to do my research, I never saw it again. Still kicking myself...

Thanks!

Sidelock
Sidelock

I didn't realize the sights were all the same with different mounting plates. Probably more Vavers are found on Model 52s than on high power sporters like the '03.

Sidelock
Sidelock

That sight leaves me wondering how he cut the helix. Made before CNC. Know three jaw lathe chucks have something similar, but think they were cast.
Chuck

Sidelock
Sidelock

Vavers were very spendy sights, and very rare today! They sold originally in the early 1930's for $12.50, which was more than a lot of the guns they went on sold for! Very accurate, and extremely well made! I'm amazed that they could make such a fine sight with the equipment at that time. I'm guessing a fair amount of hand fitting was required.
I have an old "tang sight" that is built to accept a modified Lyman 48. It has a single thumb knob to remove the sight, and the base and Lyman sight are dovetailed with parallel slots to give perfect alignment when returned to the base.
It's the 3rd one in from the left in this picture. Made with a base to fit Ballard rifles:

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Vall,

Thank you for sharing your impressive sight collection!

I was hoping that others would share their sight interests and collections when I started this thread.

I am also hoping that this sharing will renew interests and generate discussion on the topic.

I will be posting another sight either tomorrow or Saturday.

Let the discussion begin!

Gary Bush

Sidelock
Sidelock

Could I respectfully request that photographers be aware of the background (a piece of brown cardboard works well ) so as the viewer can distinguish the individual subjects.
A background that can curve under the subjects but is not pure white works even better. I hope this is understood as a suggestion to improve both the images and the view's understanding. I'll try to take a pic of some of my sights soon… I do enjoy vintage sights!
Many Thanks,
SDH

Last edited by SDH-MT; 10/09/15 02:11 AM. Reason: edit
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Gary Bush
Vall,

Thank you for sharing your impressive sight collection!

I was hoping that others would share their sight interests and collections when I started this thread.

I am also hoping that this sharing will renew interests and generate discussion on the topic.

I will be posting another sight either tomorrow or Saturday.

Let the discussion begin!

Gary Bush

Thanks Gary! Those are actually just some sights I was getting ready to sell. Most are made to fit either early Marlin repeaters, or Ballards. I collect Ballards, but have sold most of my late 1800's Marlin repeaters off in recent years, so have been going through my sight collection, and moving out the ones I didn't need. Here's one that I recently sold. Very unusual Special Flexible Base Marbles tang sights for Marlin repeaters. Had three of these for various models, and sold two.:

Sidelock
Sidelock

I might be very interested in a Marbles Flexible for a Marlin (95). I've only bought 3 or 4 sights for it so far and none of them really work the way I want.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.