April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (Chad Linder, ClapperZapper, KDGJ, 1 invisible), 450 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,465
Posts545,065
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Sidelock
Sidelock

I would like to buy this gun if it is for sale. Call me if for sale. Terry 740 678-8106

Sidelock
Sidelock

Just out of curiosity, what would you be willing to pay for this fine piece, Terry?
JR

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I would like to find out what he wants for the gun if for sale then talk.

Boxlock
Boxlock

In my opinion this piece is well worth saving, albeit by putting it in the correct hands first and foremost. After that, I've personally seen guns in far far worse condition brought back to life. But to each their own opinions. My opinion, beautiful piece, certainly a rare piece and very deserving of some attention. I would most definitely like to put it into my collection.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Herschel used to call a piece in this condition "just an old brown gun."

I've gone back and looked at it several times, and I still cannot believe how bad it is in comparison to how much you guys think of it, especially you, Steve, whose opinion I hold in the highest regard. Even got a potential buyer.

Guess I've become too jaded in my old age. Then, afaic, there are only three things that matter with vintage doubles: condition, condition, and condition.
JR

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I think it has a lot going for it if the barrels are good and not cut down. If not cratered and still solid ribs and good chokes it can be restored to any level your check book can stand. If the barrels are toast then the gun is also.

While others may not wish to own it I would love to come across a Remington 1894, 16 Gs. two barrel set. Better yet to have money left over to enjoy it. smile

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I suppose the only three things that matter are condition condition condition if your aim is to put it in your safe and have the value increase.

On the other hand, if your aim is to use and enjoy one of the finest guns made in North America the way it was designed to be used, then other factors may come into play.

I'm with Jon.....I'd love to own this "old brown gun".And I'd shoot it!

The caveat of course is that the barrels are useable.

Last edited by canvasback; 10/07/15 01:05 AM.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

I am a believer in doing full restoration on some guns. Guns like this are worthy. If this stock is unserviceable, I'd have it restocked to my specs. Loose ribs are not a death nell. Some people may disagree with my approach, but I look at it from the perspective that I probably saved it from the scrap man. I have a few of them. If they don't shoot and function well, I don't have a place for them.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I am out of town and haven't been able to get pictures of the bores sent to me at this time. But I can say the barrel lengths appear to be 28" and 30" and they are not dented.
Knowing that there have been other guns in worse condition than this gun and they have been restored and put back in the field I find it odd that there are those that seem to think this gun is not salvageable, especially one that is this rare and unique. I share some of the same sentiments as Canvasback. This gun was made to be shot not hidden away in a safe. However, I understand maybe the thoughts others may have that would not want to restore a gun like this and risk taking it to the field only for something terrible to happen to the gun. I can appreciate both sides.
From the information I have been able to gather so far there has not been any other 1894 grade EE 16ga 2 barrel set surface, a potential one of a kind!

Sidelock
Online Embarrased
Sidelock

I am reminded of Terry Lubzynski's Optimus.

The facts of the matter are that it's a rare gun in well used condition.
All the rest is opinion.

The standard pattern of condemnation, counter offer, open offers, secret pm's, has already started.

Do not let anyone steal it from you.
Guaranteed you'll be quoted crazy money for resto work, as part of the effort to get you to part with it.
If you decide to move it, get a pro to clean it up, and sell it at auction after announcing it here.

You'll have many bidders. Me included.

I hate to say it, but I totally understood Robert Chambers on these kinds of things.

Out there doing it best I can.
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.