March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (Ian Forrester, jake van dyke, Marc Ret, MattH, 2 invisible), 827 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: kcordell
Originally Posted By: gunut
Originally Posted By: James M
I just appraised a German Combination O/U on the 2015 series of the Arizona Collectibles TV show this past week. I personally believe this is an exquisite example of continental gun making and would be pleased to have it in my own collection.
I believe it's the second or third appraisal on this particular show.
Jim

http://video.azpbs.org/video/2365507931/

Id say 1/2 that amount....2000-3000 on a v-good day

Agree....

I've let this go until now because there's a point here that's not generally apparent. Most of the participant's on a show like this one aren't looking to sell their items. They want a realistic value for insurance and replacement purposes and that's what we provide them. This is always higher then fair market value.

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
Sidelock
Sidelock

We understand that it is a show and in order to have people come in with things to look at their expectations need to be met or better yet exceeded.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I will add this:
I am an accredited appraiser bound by regulation to appraise as accurately as possible. I can not permit myself to be swayed by my own personal opinions regarding an item nor by others opinions.
An insurance evaluation is NOT THE SAME as fair market value as anyone familiar with appraisals will be glad to tell you.
Jim

mc Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

jamesm why is there a difference between market value and insurance value?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Jagermeister
This is just a part of what I have. One of these days I will show you my entire collection. Fuzzy is good.....

[img:left][/img]

Jagermeister, why did you delete the photo of your toy stuffed animal collection?

I was thinking it would be good to have Jim appraise it for insurance purposes. I guess you really don't need to insure your guns since you told us you rent them. You still do not even own a double... do you?

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

mc #419627 09/20/15 01:04 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: mc
jamesm why is there a difference between market value and insurance value?

In a nutshell:

Fair Market value is the price at which a willing seller will sell an item and what a willing buyer will pay for it.

When appraising an item for insurance purposes one has to take into consideration the cost of finding a suitable replacement if the item is lost or destroyed(if this is even possible). On items that are somewhat unique a premium is often required to secure the item. Hence the higher valuation.

I should also add that appraising in NOT an exact discipline and this is particularly true when dealing with items crafted in small numbers as is the case with this shotgun.

Last edited by James M; 09/20/15 01:08 PM.

KY Jon #419686 09/20/15 10:37 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: KY Jon
One problem is that too many German guns are not "name" guns but guild guns or retailer names few here know. All the name first buyers are hard pressed to come up with more than two or three German makers.

A noteworthy portion of the higher Original Quality grade guns were made by the "local village gunmaker." The Germans seem to have been somewhat more loyal to the local guy than were the Brits. Germans have historically identified with their state first and country second. In all fairness, though, the Manchester area textile czars would rather have had a poke in the eye with a sharp stick than patronized a London gun shop. So, everyone in the village knew perfectly well who made the guns. Therefore, the gunmaker's name on the gun would have been superfluous and was rarely done. The result is a German masterpiece will value at about 1/4 to 1/8 of a Brit gun of the same Original Quality grade and Current Condition level.

DDA

KY Jon #419801 09/21/15 12:41 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: KY Jon
One problem is that too many German guns are not "name" guns but guild guns or retailer names few here know. All the name first buyers are hard pressed to come up with more than two or three German makers.

Wishing MP could join this discussion.

I once posted pictures of my German BLE and he posted something like "The serial number is between 6100 & 6300." A short discussion ensued where he questioned the German 'guild system' and thought that the bigger makers were willing to put a name on a gun if you purchased a large enough quantity.

In this case the s/n on my BLE is 6116 and MP said that it was made by Heym.

Mike
Sidelock
Sidelock

The so called guild guns are usually not "guild guns", but guns made for "the trade". In other words they were usually made by a "name" maker for sale to a retailer, who would have his name placed on it. Often they didn't bother with the name. Some makers placed a logo inside. There are a few records of serial numbers tied to a particular maker, but in most cases they can't be used to date a gun, much less ID the maker.
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Der Ami
The so called guild guns are usually not "guild guns", but guns made for "the trade". In other words they were usually made by a "name" maker for sale to a retailer, who would have his name placed on it. Often they didn't bother with the name. Some makers placed a logo inside. There are a few records of serial numbers tied to a particular maker, but in most cases they can't be used to date a gun, much less ID the maker.
Mike

Agree with this.

That said, if the records did exist, there was a very good chance MP would have them or a copy of them.

My 'Heym' BLE. It is not as 'Germanic' as most.
When I had it renovated, I thought about removing the sling swivels and cheekpiece, but have come to like it the way it is.

Mike
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.