March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (jake van dyke, HalfaDouble, dogon, Ian Forrester, Mills, 1 invisible), 551 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 14 of 15 1 2 12 13 14 15
Sidelock
Sidelock

When I was newly graduated from college I couldnt find a job and worked for five years in sales, three of those years selling cars. Id happily take other car salesmens ups when asked, often because they didnt want to be bothered waiting on Hispanics or blacks. Just by treating those folks as Id want to be treated I sold them a lot of cars and also gained many new customers sent in from them as referrals.

Steve

Approach life like you do a yellow light - RUN IT! (Gail T.)
Sidelock
Sidelock

Rockdoc has it exactly right. In the 20 years before retirement I owned a futures commodity business, specializing in agricultural products. I always made it a point to give non customers as much time as possible knowing that eventually they would either become a client or refer others to my firm. I treated traders who got their information from me but had their accounts at other firms exactly the same and eventually many did transfer their business to me, which I knew they would eventually. There is no substitute in business and life to treat the least as the first.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: gunman
Originally Posted By: Shotgunlover
In the car trade there is an equivalent and they call them 'messers" in the UK.

Actually we call them "tyre kickers". Its also known as "show rooming" where some one spends a lot of you time looking and asking questions then goes on the net to find it cheaper
Had an experience a few years back with a man who wanted all sorts of details on a boxlock we had for sale even wanted specific pictures . We had it on display at a game fair , the guy turns up looks and asks can he take more pictures ? We ask do want the gun or not ? No he says but I'm writing a book on the maker and want as much information on any of his guns as possible . Our answers second word was "off" ,

Gunman:I'm happy to hear that you have them over there as well.

Best Regards, George

To see my guns go to www.mylandco.com Select "SPORTING GUNS " My E-Mail palmettotreasure@aol.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

Actually we call them "tyre kickers". Its also known as "show rooming" where some one spends a lot of you time looking and asking questions then goes on the net to find it cheaper
Had an experience a few years back with a man who wanted all sorts of details on a boxlock we had for sale even wanted specific pictures . We had it on display at a game fair , the guy turns up looks and asks can he take more pictures ? We ask do want the gun or not ? No he says but I'm writing a book on the maker and want as much information on any of his guns as possible . Our answers second word was "off" ,

Ever think how much books and articles on specific guns and makers help sell vintage guns ? Impossible to own all the guns needed to write authors depend on details from owners.

Boats

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Joe Wood
Rockdoc has it exactly right. In the 20 years before retirement I owned a futures commodity business, specializing in agricultural products. I always made it a point to give non customers as much time as possible knowing that eventually they would either become a client or refer others to my firm. I treated traders who got their information from me but had their accounts at other firms exactly the same and eventually many did transfer their business to me, which I knew they would eventually. There is no substitute in business and life to treat the least as the first.

Now that's just way too much common sense and decency for some on here to grasp....

Sidelock
Sidelock

I guess my view is the only people who are deserving of a brush-off are the known, repeat offenders.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

From reading all the past posts, I see one of the "professional" has replied. Naturally he did not have anything good to say. He always has lots of post though to do

Take Care

John

John Boyd
Quality Arms Inc
Houston, TX
713-818-2971
Sidelock
Sidelock

Boats , if the guy had been up front he would have had a much more positive response ,but posing as a potential buyer was not on .

Sidelock
Sidelock

Having been in sales of new homes for years I would suggest a shift of attitude to most of the gun dealers I have encountered. Buyers frequently don't know exactly what they want, they just know they want something. They also know they either have to sort out the details for themselves unless they believe in you as an honest dealer. So I learned to sell myself to them first and to carefully determine what was holding them back from purchasing. I fit the package to the customer in a caring manner. Did some disappoint me after investing hours in them - sure. Did some of those refer others to me - certainly because they believed they could rely on my information and service. And many sales came about years later from the time spent. Have to prime the pump!

I don't think I have ever met a gun sales person that has taken a sales techniques course. They simply do not know how to ask for the sale. They usually are so gun oriented they forget they are in sales. You have to help the buyer past his fears of purchasing. Show them a selection that fit their need, demonstrate how to use and care for those most interesting to them, show them the accessories which would be nice to have with the gun, ask which they favor an then have the courage to ask for the sale. You will have earned the right to ask. You will be surprised by how much money walks because the sales person fails to earn the right to ask.

Last edited by Jerry V Lape; 08/17/15 03:58 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: George L.

Gunman:I'm happy to hear that you have them over there as well. Bugger Off-I am just guessing the first word. You Limeys sure have a unique vocabulary- Wanker, Bugger, and that "Time of the Month" term- Bloody- WTF- that's - Wave The Flag, as we first did in victory after Lord Cornhollis surrendered to us "Colonials" way back when-

Best Regards, George

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Page 14 of 15 1 2 12 13 14 15

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.