May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
1 members (LGF), 276 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,531
Posts545,924
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 12 of 15 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 15
Boxlock
Boxlock

You probably didn't read the whole post.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:
Yeah, 117 F at about 14% humidity. We're used 100 F at 85% humidity. That's about a 119 Heat Index for you, and somewhere north of 150 Heat Index here. It ain't the heat bro', it's the humidity. Oh, yeah, and then there's the gnats.

Well, the humidity is low today, but this is the monsoon season and it will get worse. Was raining two weeks ago. At this time of year we usually get the edge of hurricanes from the Gulf of Mexico. When that happens it can get nasty. Flash floods, washed out roads and bridges, power lines down. Three years ago, trucks were being washed off the highway sideways by the flooding. About six years ago, it was 118 on the opener and started pouring rain in the early afternoon, so 118 with 100% humidity and it did not cool things off much. Was still in the 90s at 4:00 the next morning and the fields were steaming. Rain came down so fast that a bunch of boats and trucks got stuck on the launch ramps at the Colorado River and had to be towed out, full of water. No gnats, but lots of mosquitoes with West Nile Virus. And if we find a harvested melon field there will be a bazillion biting flies. And rattlesnakes. I can hardly wait.

Sidelock
Sidelock

This is a 1-ton Dually that got washed off Highway 111 near the Salton Sea, August of 2013. Plenty of humidity there. Two weeks later, it was dry as a bone.

Pic was there last night. Don't know what happened.

Last edited by Replacement; 08/14/15 10:49 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Oh I disagree there Greg, everyone should at least make a point of checking in with their local gun shop to see what they have first and foremost. That's what I do. Like Burkdog I'm always in there buying something to help support their business because you have to take care of the people that take care of you.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Conversely, I'm surprised no one commented on dealers that have the same overpriced stuff on their tables show after show. It's two sides of the same coin.

They must like hauling it around, or maybe they want to start a museum. I'm a busy guy and I pay my fee to get in a show and the dealers have the same stuff as last show at "You must think I'm stupid prices". Why do they like to waste my time?

Where's the outrage?! (LOL!! cry cry)

Sidelock
Sidelock

One thing I have noticed when visiting in America is that wherever I have been I have received excellent service; I wish the same was more widespread here in England.

Just been to a gun shop today that I have not visited before. They have been in business only for four years and are about a one hour drive away. They had something I was interested in so went down and made a purchase. Couldn't have asked for better service and I will be doing further business in due course. http://hadfieldguns.com/

There is one gun dealer in the north midlands area that I won't have anything to do with as as far as I am concerned he's a thieving robdog with more BS than one of your Texas ranches. One in the south west as he showed no interest in my presence and one in the east of England who had a similar idea. In fairness the owner was not there so they have a second chance. I then went into another shop not too far away and received helpful and good service where I made a purchase. http://www.mgrguns.co.uk/

If you are ever in England and looking for something I have no hesitation in recommending either. Check them both out for second hand English guns on their websites. Lagopus.....

Sidelock
Sidelock

Politeness and good manners cost little and yield much. And if you ordinarily exhibit politeness and good manners, on the times you don't it amplifies their impact.

I like to buy from the LGS and try to treat him and his store with respect, but if he acts like an ass or tries to gouge me ... tough for him. Like I said upthread, that's when it's very gratifying to see he's making so much money he doesn't need mine. We had a LGS in my area who helped our club with a project. In turn, we wanted to buy a gift certificate to his store to raffle off. He got all bent out of shape - why, I dunno. Mainers can be like that. - and lost me (and who knows how many other club members) as a customer. But I still go in and look from time to time, just in case.

Lagopus: While I'm not in the market for a used Brit gun (and the fun that goes with importing), I'm grateful for the tips in your post. They get filed away for future reference.

Now, whydontcha start a new thread and tell us about the Glorious 12th?

fiery, dependable, occasionally transcendent
Sidelock
Sidelock

"Politeness and good manners cost little and yield much. And if you ordinarily exhibit politeness and good manners, on the times you don't it amplifies their impact."

may i politely suggest that you practice what you preach, least ye be regarded as a hypo crit...

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

I am being wholly internally consistent.

You just don't like getting the treatment you've earned.

fiery, dependable, occasionally transcendent
Sidelock
Sidelock

well dave, as you and i have never done business, i do not know what treatment you refer too...

and i suggest again that you practice what you preach...

Last edited by ed good; 08/14/15 06:55 PM.

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Page 12 of 15 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 15

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.