May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (Themauserkid, Jeremy Pearce, Jimmy W, canvasback), 847 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,532
Posts545,949
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 14 15
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: arrieta2
Myself and some other dealers have come to the conclusion that there are a group of people (a couple on this BBS that we know of. Even though we dealers are competitors, we still are friends, we know who calls all around on making inquiries, but not buy) that they are professional lookers. They email you about a gun, generally the email is this: I am very interested in that gun, do you still have it?

You reply that you do, and that's all you ever hear from them. Nothing.

I have made mention this scenario to my wife, hoping she could explain this.

Her reply was this: They like to ask about guns so they can tell their friends that they are looking at this gun from this dealer and checking about this other one from this other dealer, and maybe interested in this other gun that they saw and so on and so on.
This of course this is impressive to their friends and makes them feel that they are in the game. But they never do anything more that look.

John Boyd

The problem is most dealers can't be trusted to list an accurate description...then there are some dealers that don't have the eYe to even see an accurate description.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: GLS
The old Britcom Fawlty Towers's character portrayed by John Cleese owned a hotel on the coast of England. His main complaint was that the guests interfered with his ability to run the hotel. Variations of this theme cross many vocations.

I've often heard teachers comment that it'd be a great job if it weren't for the students. Might have said that myself, a time or two.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: GLS
The old Britcom Fawlty Towers's character portrayed by John Cleese owned a hotel on the coast of England. His main complaint was that the guests interfered with his ability to run the hotel. Variations of this theme cross many vocations.

This gets a "Like" from me. smile

Sidelock
Sidelock

Top ten Fawlty Towers moments.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcEws7il4EY

I prefer wood to plastic, leather to nylon, waxed cotton to Gore-Tex, and split bamboo to graphite.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Arrieta2,

While I sympathize with the frustrations of any man who's trying to make a living, I will say that working through "non-buyer shoppers" issues in the high end gun market, while obviously real, are easier than in other areas. Consider the real estate guy who has to personally ferry people around, spending lots of time (and even money). Or the Ferrari dealer who not only has to gauge the "buyer's" financial state, but also has to let him TRY OUT his product!

In my business I hate going through periods of interest with no traction, but it's the nature of sales. And I gird myself by thinking of how much harder those other kinds of sales are.

The economy is going nowhere but down, and will continue to do so until we flush the toilet of 5 decades worth of fake, Fed-induced cheap money "prosperity." And ALL boats drop when the tide rolls out.

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

It's the nature of sales. I suspect John may love guns and has found a way to make his living in that arena, but likely doesn't really like sales. At least not retail sales.

I have spent 34 years selling to retailers. While I've been in sales, it was easy to qualify my customers.....they had a store and were in business. However, I got to spend plenty of time watching good retailers work with their customers. Not a job I'd want but watching them work was amazing.

For the very best, as judged by the overall success of their stores over many years, no person was unworthy of their time and attention as they intuitively knew it is impossible to know when that person will come back and buy or what that person may say to someone else.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

Yes, my experience with professional shoppers, one thing stands out, "if they talk a lot, they buy a little". The more questions someone asks, the more likely they are just lonely or bored and are not going to buy anything. I just love the buyer who emails.... "I'll take it" short , but sweet.

Rapidfire

SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Very good point James. I worked in a local gunshop some years ago and the proprietor treated everyone as though they might be a potential customer. We were chatting one night after the shop closed up and he recalled a story for me of a customer who came in wearing dirty overalls and no shirt. He mentioned the man was also quite dirty as though he had just finished work on a farm. The shop owner told me how even though the man did not look especially well off he bought several high end rifles with top notch glass on them. Not something you would expect. At the same time I have seen the very same shop owner tell tire kickers where to stick it. He would entertain real questions from potential customers all day long but had zero patience for the looky loos. Running a retail shop is not something I could do. I can certainly understand John's point.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Years ago I had a salesman "cold call" by phone selling ball point pens. He went on and on and I listened to his spiel which involved a lot of fast talking with a Bronx accent. He was good. After concluding, he asked "how many you want?" I told him "none." He chewed my ass out for wasting his time and all I could do was laugh and hang up.
As for not liking "sales", everything one does on a daily basis involves "sales" one way or another if it involves dealing with other people. Gil

Sidelock
Sidelock

I suppose I am one of the guilty ones. I have been calling around looking and pricing a Spanish 20 bore with long 29" or 30" barrels.
I have owned a lot of Spanish guns in the past and know all to well that the depreciation value is great on them and that is why I am still looking.
So sorry guys if I have upset anyone.

Mike Proctor
Page 3 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 14 15

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.