March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
9 members (Karl Graebner, Ken Nelson, Jimmy W, canvasback, Marc Ret, Licensed to kill), 288 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,993
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#41310 05/27/07 12:36 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Not a classic double issue but,
yesterday my old gamer Perazzi blew a choke tube out of the bottom barrel. It did not go gently. About two months ago I had a stuck choke and when it came out it was apparent there was a little rust in the threads. I cleaned everything up nicely and have keep things well lubricated etc. and have been changing chokes more frequently (sporting clays) but I guess it was weak. Anyway, the barrel is tweeked. A small irregular bulge right at the end and it looks slightly out of round. Of course, the chokes won't fit.
What to do? I really like the barrels and shoot them well for lots of things. Can Perazzi fix it? (I live in So. Cal.). Can Briley or some barrel guru put chokes in both barrels and away we go? Suggestions? Regards, Jake

R. Craig Clark
jakearoo(at)cox.net
Sidelock
Sidelock

Jakearoo,
I'm guessing they're Briley tubes? If so, Briley is best qualified to assess what to do. This is a very thin area and it may very well be damaged beyond repair. If so, cutting down the barrels and new choke tube installation may be the only economical option.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Chuck,
No, not Brileys. The gun is an old GrandAmerican combo. It came with Perazzi top thread screw in chokes in the single and the bottom barrel of the double. I don't shoot much ATA trap anymore but the barrel that blew was the bottom barrel on the double.
I think Briley is great for installing thier chokes on virgin barrels. I have heard mixed reviews for work that is out of the ordinary for them.
The barrel is not horribly blown. But there is a distinct slight bulge and distortion at the muzzle.
Indeed, the barrels can probably be cut. In fact, since I am shooting more and more sporting, chokes in both barrels could be good. I just hate to lose that 29.5" lenght I like. Jake

R. Craig Clark
jakearoo(at)cox.net
Sidelock
Sidelock

Check with Giacomo:315.336.1356.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Another good reason for fixed chokes. This tube thing is not all that it's made up to be.

Ole Cowboy
Sidelock
Sidelock

Amen, Don. Another case of the Empiror's new clothes along with backbored barrels, ports, lengthened forcing cones, ventilated ribs, single triggers, 3-1/2" 12 bores, beavertail forends . . .
Just my old 2 cents worth. Maybe that's why I love vintage guns that are unmolested. Chops

tw Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Jake, I would suggest that you send it to Mike Orlen who is a member here and a bbl man. Let him evaluate it and tell you what your options are. He is diagonally across the country, but its not really an issue, that's what USPS is for. His work is highly regarded and he is an up front guy as many here can and will tell you. Call him first, take several good macro digital pics and email them to him.

tw #41367 05/28/07 12:09 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks TW. Do you have his contact information? Jake

R. Craig Clark
jakearoo(at)cox.net
Sidelock
Sidelock

Go to Google.com and type in Michael Orlen. He'll pop right up.

> Jim Legg <

Sidelock
Sidelock

Well now I don't feel so bad. I had a choke tube blow out of a $400 Mossberg silver reserve and now your other end of the price spectrum Perazzi had it happen. On mine I shot a round of skeet and put he gun in the rack and saw the tube missing, I couldn't belive I forgot to put it in. So, I check my case and sure enough one was missing. I vaguely rememberd seeing something fly at station 3 so I looked out there but cuondn't find it in the weeds. I came back a few days later armed with a metal detector and sure enough there it was. It did'nt harm the bbl but the tube had a little dent on the back end I staightened it out and put it in. A few hundred rounds later it is still fine. I wish I knew why it happend

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.