April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Ted Schefelbein, Replacement, KDGJ, SKB, 1 invisible), 949 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,467
Posts545,110
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

Deekay, if you want to try it email me at gunscrew@yahoo.com.and i will walk you through it. A Fox is simple. Try an LC Smith if you want a tough one! Bobby

Sidelock
Sidelock

Deekay, as the feller who lost (misplaced the lever check/trip) I'd have to say that a warning about the pitfalls of home gunsmithing is in order particularly if you have a gun with some condition (unturned scews with good slots, tight wood and some color on the action bar). Also, it wouldn't do to suggest that the above is a "complete" Fox dissassemby but rather only the sequence of steps necessary to remove the stock.

In defense of myself and home gunsmithing generally, I'd had two Fox guns apart to this degree previously (another SW and a Fox BE which now has fresh rust blue,a new forend, and stock refinished and checkering refreshed) and lost no parts altho I did ponder the recalcitrance of both trigger plate bolts for some time before finally shocking them loose and backing them out. I punched the trip out intentionally but it wasn't in the pill bottles with the spring and other itty bits later. I bought a 12 ga. trip from an internet seller for 10$ and two hrs. after I opened the envelope I had it shortened and the strike filed to a shape and hgt. which would allow the rib extension to trigger the trip. There's a first time for everything (success and failure). One of the guys here who advised a bit on fitting the new trip claims to have lost an entire 20 ga. action bar. So stuff happens. It's risky to start on something like this without knowledge of a procedure such as that given by the Rev. Doc. Good lighting in the your work area, marked containers for parts removed, a work surface which is clean (white terry cloth towel works for me), wood-padded vise jaws are available to every one of us--not just to pros. Pin punches, small hammers, and Apex screwdriver bits which can be ground for a special application are also available with a little forethought and consideration before you start. All of it cheaper than professional help at the outset anyway. Realistically, I think the risk of loss of condition is the same whether it's a 500$ SW or a 60K$ Purdy but obviously the potential monetary loss is greater in some cases than in others. The very best step you can take to prepare for the possible hazards of home gunsmithing is to first ask yourself why you want to get inside? Strip and clean, badly damaged stock, or just the yen to tinker and explore? You'll experience aggravation sufficient to reinforce your humility in any case so the intended result should be worth the aggravation.

jack

rabbit #40837 05/23/07 02:42 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Deekay, you could do worse than follow along to Bobby's advice. He knows a lot more than just how to get the stock off. And incidentally, there's yet another potential escapee from this procedure: the safety pushrod in a boring in the left stock cheek. It's easy to reproduce if you know the dimensions; not so easy if you don't see it and it gets away. Some guys like to remove it to achieve a manual safety. Loosing it is one way to accomplish this result but not the best. I see now Drew has that covered also.

jack

rabbit #40877 05/23/07 10:32 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Jack, from now on when i take a Fox apart i will think of you! We need to change the instructions to place the action in padded vise up side down as the first step and remove the front trigger plate screw and then take tweezers and pull the little spring out and then the toplever trip! I have lost several springs and one trip myself! Bobby

bbman3 #40886 05/24/07 12:34 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Might as well. If you can't break the trigger plate bolt loose, twirling triggerguards and removing tang screws doesn't accomplish much anyway.

jack

rabbit #41152 05/25/07 10:30 PM
DeeKay Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks for all the tips guys, I will save them. I would like to pick up a poor condition Fox sometime to practice on.

By the way, how would the fit and finish be on the screws on a Savage Fox. The screws on my gun are slightly buggered and the one at the rear of the trigger guard was proud on one side. I guessed that somone had the screws out, or tried to tighten them. The rear trigger guard screw could never have fit right if it was the original. From the factory, would all the screw slots be clean and parallel? Dan

DeeKay #41160 05/25/07 11:33 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

DeeKay, a high-sided screw or bolt is by definition undertightened or overtightened relative to where the factory put it since they were filed flush to the surface surrounding the countersink (or counterbore in the case of the Fox trigger plate bolt). These surfaces are by and large not flat but have countours (lateral crowning of the upper tang)and the filed screw head only matches this contour in one position. Sometimes a full turn out looks pretty good but about 90 degrees out gives the game away--edges sharp to the touch, clothing snags. All a matter of degree. Take the cross pin out of a Superposed forend sometime if you want to see a real slant top bolt.

jack

rabbit #41262 05/27/07 12:38 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

A cut away Sterlingworth was recently up for auction. These views may help a bit. If any one can find an exploded view of a Sterlingworth....

Here is the exploded view of a Savage Fox
http://www.okiegunsmithshop.com/savage_fox.jpg

Pete

PeteM #41274 05/27/07 04:47 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Trip hidden behind the hammer. Can't see the intertwining of woody bits and sear arms. Trigger plate bolt has a nice slot but they weren't left untimed like that even on a Utica gun, were they?

jack

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.