May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
1 members (CJF), 318 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,531
Posts545,924
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#411759 07/24/15 11:33 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

On the advice of my gunsmith, I purchased a can of Shooter's Choice Barrel and Choke cleaner. He told me it is the best solvent for melting plastic build up in the barrels. After shooting about 100 rounds of RST, 12 gauge ammo, I came home to clean the gun and to see how this new cleaning product performed. I have usually used Hoppes or Balistol in the past and I always clean my guns after shooting them. Well, at least I thought I was cleaning them.

To get to the point, it took me two hours and numerous clean outs before I got the barrels clean and free of the plastic fouling. I finally resorted to wrapping bronze wool around a bronze brush, attaching the cleaning rod to the end of a power drill, and reaming the barrels out for multiply times after I let the barrels soak in The Shooters Choice cleaner. Time after time of reaming and cleaning the barrels with cotton swabs, the plastic was still there but in less and less amounts. What concerned me was I was also picking up very small flecks of lead as the plastic melted and was rubbed away by the bronze wool.

Has anyone else ever experienced something like this?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Yes! And by the amount of plastic that came out on my brushes I think I must have been shooting extra full choke on my skeet gun and never even knew it. I also believe all that plastic fouling in the bores and chokes must have really been blowing my patterns. I shot that gun for years without ever doing anything more than swabbing the tubes a couple of times after each shooting session.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have been laid up the last two weeks after having foot surgery so I thought this would be a good time to give my guns a good cleaning. I have been using Wads Out plastic solvent and it appears to work pretty well if you can handle the smell. It is not pleasent like Hoppes #9. I was also amazed at how much plastic I got out. I use small pieces of paper towel on a jag with the solvent and just keep working it until it doesn't turn black anymore. Then I run the brass wire brush through it a number of times and then start all over with the solvent and paper towel again. I do this until the bores are like mirrors. I have found that most of the plastic has been build up near the end of the chamber rather than the muzzle.

I like the idea of the power drill and the brass wool. Seems a lot easier on the shoulders.

Two more weeks of no weight on the foot. It's driving me nuts! Grouse season is going to be interesting this year. None of those 10 mile hikes if I can get out at all. If I didn't have a few good Burton Spiller books I would really be in bad shape.

Tom C

�There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.�
Aldo Leopold
Sidelock
Sidelock

Yup, Got an AYA I converted to a Slug/Buckshot gun and after about 15-20 rounds it is full of plastic. Found the shooters choice works good with one of the 12ga Stainless steel brush I got from brownells. Makes the job of cleaning much more pleasand. Spray the barrels, let em it on the bench horizontally for about 10 minutes, (roll em over at about 5 minutes) give em another quick squirt then brush them out. Usually have to repeat this an additional time or two. When clean hit them with a patch soaked in Kroil and done.

Till I found the stainless steel brushes I cussed having to do this job and even avoided taking the gun to the range so I didn't have to battle with the plastic. Now no problem...

Don

Sidelock
Sidelock

Chuck a cleaning rod in a cordless drill and attach a Big 45 Frontier Metal Cleaner. I use KleenBore Formula 3.
Just be sure a do the job where the flying gunk won't matter smile

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: shortround
On the advice of my gunsmith, I purchased a can of Shooter's Choice Barrel and Choke cleaner. He told me it is the best solvent for melting plastic build up in the barrels. After shooting about 100 rounds of RST, 12 gauge ammo, I came home to clean the gun and to see how this new cleaning product performed. I have usually used Hoppes or Balistol in the past and I always clean my guns after shooting them. Well, at least I thought I was cleaning them.

To get to the point, it took me two hours and numerous clean outs before I got the barrels clean and free of the plastic fouling. I finally resorted to wrapping bronze wool around a bronze brush, attaching the cleaning rod to the end of a power drill, and reaming the barrels out for multiply times after I let the barrels soak in The Shooters Choice cleaner. Time after time of reaming and cleaning the barrels with cotton swabs, the plastic was still there but in less and less amounts. What concerned me was I was also picking up very small flecks of lead as the plastic melted and was rubbed away by the bronze wool.

Has anyone else ever experienced something like this?

I've used the same product with great results. It was recommended to me for use in turkey chokes. Does an excellent job. Takes out plastic I never even knew was there. I use it on my skeet gun too. Works great. I usually use it after every 300 rounds or so to remove plastic. I coat the barrel good and set it horizontal for 15 minutes and flip it so it soaks the whole barrel. A few passes with a shotgun jag and steel wool fit tightly and it's clean. To remove lead from shooting foster type slugs I use the same system but don't use and chemicals. Just O steel wool fit tightly and some oil to make it push easy. 10-15 passes no more lead.

Maybe your bore is rougher than it appears? Holds the plastic more?

Last edited by Woody402; 07/24/15 05:43 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I used to know a female skeet champion. She had a wall of first place medals. The wall in the local club house she owned not a small office wall. Her attitude is why bother cleaning the barrels. She said every time she shoots it cleans the barrel. since then I simply run a fuzzy stick with a little Remoil sprayed on the tip (every few times) a bunch of times and spend my time cleaning the action. I don't see any disadvantage. Anyone with clear evidence that it matters?

So many guns, so little time!
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm not a serious clays shooter and don't shoot my guns at high volume, so don't have to deal with significant buildup of plastic residue. I don't put the effort into removing 100% of it, doesn't seem to do any harm, and might even inadvertently provide a little corrosion resistance.

Jay

Sidelock
Sidelock

The real danger of lead and plastic fouling, in barrels that are not chrome lined, is that moisture eventually gets underneath the fouling and corrodes until it is either cleaned out or pits form. IMO, most pits we find in older barrels are from moisture underneath lead fouling. Of course, the corrosive primers back then only hastened this. Fouling is EVIL, and I strongly disagree with the skeet lady champion that each shot cleans the residue from the last. It does NOT!!

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

When cleaning a 28 ga. with lots of plastic fowling, a bronze brush on a cleaning rod was helpful on a cordless drill. Still, the job was slow. I reversed the drill and the plastic literally flew out of the bore.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.