May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
5 members (mark, bushveld, Argo44, docbill, KDGJ), 266 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,547
Posts546,156
Members14,423
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I am looking for a source for wood screws with narrow slots or preferably without slots--like for trigger guards, buttplates, forends etc. Thanks! Gil

[IMG]
Sidelock
Sidelock

Gil, I assume you want oval head wood screws. If so, these are the best I have seen and I use them for butt plates, grip caps, trigger guard, and for-end screw/s.
http://www.blacksmithbolt.com/store/c/27-Oval-Head-Steel-Wood-Screws.aspx

David

Sidelock
Sidelock

After the first shot the rest are just noise.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Gil, It depends on the application but I doubt if either of the above will meet your needs if you are dealing with UK product, especially if you are looking to file the screws in with a correctly indexed slot.
Various UK companies have produced a range of gun pins & screws but I think they have al stopped now: just too much variation.
The closest 'modern' approximation to old UK screws is the 3/16 Whit and it can usually be used without any adjustment of hole. I don't bother with a tapered thread although this is what you will find in 90 % of cases. Parallel threads are just more difficult to screw in but give better strength and cope with repeated insertion into wood better.
If you have a lathe and die you can quickly turn these out (under- or over-size if necessary)with as long a slave head as you need, overall length and ,very important, the right countersink angle to match what you are attaching. This can vary between 70 & 55 deg and needs to be pretty much spot-on if an aesthetically perfect result and/or maximum bearing strength is required.
Make sure you polish the thread with Scotchbrite or similar or any roughness can wreck the hole on removal.
If you don't have a lathe, then find a local machine shop and commission a short run on their auto equipment with a range of different countersink angles but most at 65 deg.
On 2nd thoughts, it is probably cheaper to buy a lathe! wink

SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

You may try these guys. I just bought some forgings from them but never any screws. I found them very good to deal with and my parts arrived quickly.

https://www.gunspares.co.uk/products/24068/British-Shotgun/

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.