Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

It's been a long time since I've paid attention to bolt-action sporting rifles but I may have run across a "project" this afternoon and I need help with value. I know it is incredibly difficult to assign a value without photos of the rifle but I didn't have the opportunity.

Mauser B Grade Sporting Rifle chambered for the 7x57 cartridge. The bore was good to very good; strong, crisp rifling but some light "frost" grooves. The receiver is marked Oberndorf on the left side and the "B" and "U" proof marks are visible above the wood line. The bolt and safety match the serial number of the receiver and the bolt handle has the same "B" and "U" proof marks on the little top flat where the handle meets the bolt body. The receiver is matte finished on the top surfaces. No scope mounts or extra holes in the receiver or barrel. The bottom metal is in very good condition and has the quick release floorplate. The stock has a commercial Mauser buttplate and looks original but the forend looks like it was cut short and simple turned upwards; no schnabel tip or curl. All the metal is going patina but no rust or dings that I saw.

Basically I am looking at this is a complete barreled action. Any help on a value would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Joe

Last edited by Joe Dobrzynski; 05/27/15 07:34 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Joe,
Can you post photos of the rifle, including all markings for us to look at?.
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

Joe,
Oberndorf sporters that haven't been messed with are hard to find, seems we can't hit anything without a scope, or worse yet,_a swept back bolt handle. Some early Model B's were made with forends similar to what you describe.
If it can be had for twelve or thirteen hundred and you pass.....

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hello Joe

I have a Model B (in 7x57, on a transitional intermediate action) with the fore-end that you describe, mine dates from 1910 and I surmise that it was something of a fashion of that era as I don't see it pictured in my 1930's reproduction catalog. Mine also has a rounded pistol grip without a cap.

The other main variation of that original price range of the Model B patterns was a fixed sight with folding leaves or tangent sight.

The point being that the model you describe is less often encountered and so has something of a rarity value for collectors.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Joe,
You still didn't post photos.
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

From over two weeks ago I expect he isn't going to. Shame, I'd like to see it.

NRA Benefactor 2008
NRA Patron 2007
NRA Endowment 1996
NRA Life 1988
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hello Guys ...

Thank you for all your responses. Unfortunately timing is everything. I saw this rifle just before a two week road trip with my family in "the lower 48". I was semi-convinced the forend tip had been cut and the stock simply swept upward. The cost of restocking and the thought of another project turned me away.

The price was right, but knowing myself, I could never let it be the way it is and would want to improve it.

I appreciate all your help ...
Joe

Sidelock
Sidelock

If it looks like this it is OK. These shoot very well for such a simple old rifle.

Sidelock
Sidelock

This would be a step up.

Sidelock
Sidelock

A Mauser Oberndorf with that style stock would be pre WW1 and predate the "type" classifications(the round pg and short forearm).I'm afraid a nice find may have slipped by.
Mike

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.