April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
8 members (ChiefAmungum, Der Ami, Argo44, AGS, Jeremy Pearce, Hoot4570), 405 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,443
Posts544,795
Members14,405
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#408594 06/28/15 03:08 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Looking at a near mint M61- price is right- but what is the status of .22Magnum rounds now? Can I get target or solid (not hollow points) in .22Magnum? Where are the best places to look for this somewhat scarce ammo today? Thanks

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

28-31 cents a round. In stock at several places. I used slickguns.com, they seem to work well for finding prices and sources for different ammo. A 61 is hard to beat for grin factor. I have one that was "bought" with S&H Green Stamps when I was a kid and passed on to me by my Dad in '85. Only issue was some dumb kid thought the stock needed refinishing back in the late 50's. Now that kid gets to live with his mistake. No big deal. 22 LR in my case so a bit more friendly to shoot. Hope you get it, the are truly nice.
Thaine

It ain't ignorance that does the most damage, it's knowing so derned much that ain't so! J. Billings
Sidelock
Sidelock

Another place to try online is www.ableammo.com.

If you think "regular" .22 WRM is hard to find, try finding the "green" unleaded bullet variety that we now have to use in my part of CA! I use it in my TC G2 .22 WRM single shot and my Win 9422M because my Win 61M just doesn't like it! Just got some from Cabellas.

In fact my M61M really shoots the old .22 WRF (what we always called ".22 Special" where I grew up) better than any .22 Magnum I've found, for some reason.

RWTF, I hope you didn't pay the "going price" for yours--last time I looked they wanted a WHOLE PILE of $$$ for them! I got mine in a pawn shop in Madison, Wisconsin back in 1974 for a reasonable sum, especially considering what they go for now.

Slick little guns!

Last edited by Mike A.; 06/28/15 06:01 PM.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Mike A.
Another place to try online is www.ableammo.com.

If you think "regular" .22 WRM is hard to find, try finding the "green" unleaded bullet variety that we now have to use in my part of CA! I use it in my TC G2 .22 WRM single shot and my Win 9422M because my Win 61M just doesn't like it! Just got some from Cabellas.

In fact my M61M really shoots the old .22 WRF (what we always called ".22 Special" where I grew up) better than any .22 Magnum I've found, for some reason.

RWTF, I hope you didn't pay the "going price" for yours--last time I looked they wanted a WHOLE PILE of $$$ for them! I got mine in a pawn shop in Madison, Wisconsin back in 1974 for a reasonable sum, especially considering what they go for now.

Slick little guns!
Nope-- I always buy my Winchesters "righteous"-- I have a std. .22LR M61, also a M63 (later series with 23" barrel and grooved top receiver, and a pre-war M62 (smaller forearm) and now a M61 in .22 Mag- I paid $375 for the .22 Mag- put it at 90% wood and metal, and unaltered. Thanks for the tip on the .22 Special--

Sidelock
Sidelock

$375 for an M61M is pretty darn "righteous"! I've seen them go for near a grand in that condition.

But then I live in CA where "money (as long as you have plenty) is no object." We have special pricing for rich fools, and no shortage of them, it seems. Gun prices are in inverse proportion to their distance from the beach/harbor/yacht club.... Except in Palm Springs. (Maybe it's the proximity of the Salton Sea there).

Sidelock
Sidelock

RWTF,
In the early 80's I bought a M61 .22 Mag from an old timer by the name of Frank Tucek from upstate New York. This guy new about Winchesters,I didnt know at the time but years later I saw his name in the credits section of Winchester book by Madis.
Frank handed me two boxs of Winchester ammo and said " Son, you have to use Winchester brand, all others will hang-up". So the first thing I did was get some other brand ammo ( I think CCI)to see if they would hang up,and they did, but not every time. The only ammo that would feed "reliably" through that rifle was Winchester! Because of the Jamming issue I traded it for another 61 in 22lr. that ate everything you could feed it.
Dan.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Mine feeds everything fine but makes "patterns" with the non-lead 28 gr. "California legal" ammo. Shoots best with the original 40 gr. Winchester hollowpoints, tho. So does my 9422M.

My G2 ias more accurate than either of the Winchesters, or maybe it's just that it has a terrific trigger.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I'm lucky that I live in a small farming community- very few of my farmer friends have the Internet- and don't keep copies of the Fijestad Blue Books around either. No ammo with this M61 Mag- what a deal that would have been at that price, which the seller established, not me. Have no idea what he paid for it years ago, doubt if it had a box of shells through it.

Reason he said he bought the Magnum version over the std .22LR model was as follows: "I wanted a .22 rifle what would drop a coon dead out of the tree, to spare my Redbone and Bluetick coon dogs a nasty fight when the coon bounced off the ground half-dead." Can't fault farmer logic, right?

Sidelock
Sidelock

No, in this case you can't--coons really tear up dogs, and experienced hounds are expensive.

I used to know a federal contract "Predator Control Officer" who hunted mountain lions, bobcats, and coyotes for the solitude and the bounties that the State of California and the Cattlemans Association paid back then (1950s). He kept a trio of big Airedale terriers specifically because they were cheap (no training) and very aggressive and would attack predators that came out of the tree still alive before the hounds could get to them.

He especially hated bobcats because they would often would not "tree" and fight the dogs on the ground before he and his .25-20 could get there.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Nineteen bucks at the local gun store. They have a bunch. Don't remember what brand.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.