Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#408501 06/27/15 10:12 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

We all have some place we like to hang out during the hunting season. I've had the pleasure of enjoying a number of camps belonging to friends ranging from rough to sumptuous. I wondered whether our members might enjoy sharing pictures of our favorite camps? My own have always rated in the rough department:

I recently built a newer one, but it is still ranks fairly rough...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

that one looks fine...but that's not southern Georgia....

gunut
gunut #408505 06/27/15 10:24 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Yes it is, well its on my place in middle GA anyway. We rarely get a snow day but when we do we southern boys tend to take lots of pix; I drove 200 miles up from my home in south GA to the farm just to take that one. You might notice the snow was beginning to melt...Geo

Last edited by Geo. Newbern; 06/28/15 11:32 AM. Reason: added something
Sidelock
Sidelock

That looks nice to me. I've been in much rougher, some would say my house would be a great hunting shack.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Rough as that old place is I cannot begin to describe the memories of fish fry's out on that porch, steaks and camp stews cooked in that fire-pit and consumed on that pick-nick table. No way to count up how many deer have been cleaned on the rack out beside it or how many of them were the first deer taken by my boys, nephews and the boys of my friends or how many turkey gobblers have been proudly hung from the porch. I wish I could remember all the tall tales and jokes told around the fire circle...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Geo. Newbern
Rough as that old place is I cannot begin to describe the memories of fish fry's out on that porch, steaks and camp stews cooked in that fire-pit and consumed on that pick-nick table. No way to count up how many deer have been cleaned on the rack out beside it or how many of them were the first deer taken by my boys, nephews and the boys of my friends or how many turkey gobblers have been proudly hung from the porch. I wish I could remember all the tall tales and jokes told around the fire circle...Geo

Those were great times for many of us and a concept most who don't hunt will never grasp. I wouldn't trade the times and memories I spent in hunting camps for anything else.
Jim

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I haven't hunted out of a camp for a few years and miss it a lot. I made the mistake of not buying or building one because, when I was looking shortly after I got married, my best buddy from high school told me I didn't need a camp because I already had his to use anytime I wanted. His Dad had given me a key to the place when I was in college, and I was the only one outside their immediate family that had a key. I always made it a point to contribute toward expenses and always left the place better than I found it. It was rough, but it was heaven. It took a few years after his Dad bought the place to get the mice under control and we always covered the toaster with aluminum foil so we didn't have to shake mouse shit out of it. We knocked heads with my buddy's brother in law who wanted to make the place nice so that his wife would want to spend time there. Eventually he came to understand that she was never going to be fond of using an outhouse and hauling water from a spring a mile away. We always had a guest book to sign in and sign out and record any game shot or fish caught, etc. I counted my days spent there once and calculated that I spent over 4% of my life there. My buddy died very young a few years ago, and I haven't gone back there since due to some family disputes that arose after he died. Without going into gory details, his wife offered to sell me his share of the place for $1.00 if I promised to make his brother in laws life miserable. Tempting, but I chose to stay out of it. I think I need a camp again though.

Your camp looks great Geo. Flush toilets, running water, and TV sets do not belong in a hunting camp. A radio for weather forecasts and country music while playing cards is acceptable.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Dandy shot, Geo. It's palatial compared to ours. Most camps hereabouts are small, with a few bunks, no electricity, definitely not locked, off the beaten trail.

My 99-year-old buddy's first camp had a Ford truck hood for a roof. He luxuriated in our current one with a stove made from a 10-gallon steel barrel.

Lots of story-telling, too, from buddy's extraordinary memory as woodcutter, overseas fighting in Sicily, Italy, France, Holland into Germany.

James M #408589 06/28/15 02:25 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: James M
Originally Posted By: Geo. Newbern
Rough as that old place is I cannot begin to describe the memories....
....I wish I could remember all the tall tales and jokes told around the fire circle...Geo

Those were great times for many of us and a concept most who don't hunt will never grasp. I wouldn't trade the times and memories I spent in hunting camps for anything else.
Jim

There have been some great ones. No regrets, but I almost never snap pictures and wish I would force myself to. Maybe it's better that way. Aside from the birds, bsing and friendship, I remember log book entries from a duck camp. The entries went back around fifty years, and the last time I was there was a good thirty years ago. Neat history of long gone characters, guns, changes in the game, and even stuff like recipes, repairs, getting caught up in bad weather. Those walls could talk through that log!

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

What that photo doesn't show is the hospitality, enthusiasm, good will and humor possessed by the owner and his son. I've had the privilege of spending time at version 2.0 of Newbern Estates and can attest to the above. Gil-obble

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.