May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
2 members (canvasback, 1 invisible), 274 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,518
Posts545,707
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#408028 06/24/15 12:17 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I am looking to buy a decent pair of boots that will primarily be used for upland hunting. In addition, they will be used for some miscellaneous hunting/shooting and some light hiking. They must be waterproof and light. (I am not interested in anything with camo pattern material) Thanks in advance for any suggestions. Patrick

Edit: I should have added that I have read good things about the Irish Setter Wing Shooters, Salomon 4D 2 GTX and The Keen Gypsums.

Last edited by VictoryXC; 06/24/15 12:40 PM.
SKB Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Love my Filson's but mine are about 15 years old and I heard they moved the manufacturing to China and are no longer of the same quality. You may check the online reviews.
Steve

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have boots made by L.L. Bean, Gokey (2 Pair), Russell, and Asolo. The Asolo boots are hiking/backpacking boots, are very comfortable and are the boots I will most often wear. Boots don't have to be called hunting boots to be the best option. I've had three pair of Asolo boots since 1990 and they are very good and wear well. I've worn them in Alaska and Africa and a lot of places in between.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have had 3 pair of Irish Setters over the last 20 years or so and when the current pair wear out they will be replaced with another pair of Irish Setters...

WBLDon

Last edited by WBLDon; 06/24/15 12:51 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: WBLDon
I have had 3 pair of Irish Setters over the last 20 years or so and when the current pair wear out they will be replaced with another pair of Irish Setters...

WBLDon

I'll second that one.

I prefer wood to plastic, leather to nylon, waxed cotton to Gore-Tex, and split bamboo to graphite.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have Russels and Gokeys. Both are re-soleable so I never have to buy another boot or shoe. Both will make your boot to fit you (ie. length, width, height, arch, one foot different than the other) and is kept on file if you want to buy another boot or shoe or moccasin. I have had several boots resoled, some more than once. I have a pair of Gokey shoes resoled 6 times! Bought them in ST. Paul before Orvis bought them. I prefer Russels for boots and Gokeys for shoes.
Jim

NRA Life Member
Boxlock
Boxlock

Will second the Irish Setter line. I have their upland boot and it is comfortable and well constructed.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I bought a pair of Keens a few years ago and liked them so much that I bought two more pair to rotate on alternate hunt days (and I don't need to pack extra boots for driving or just goofing around). They are lightweight, waterproof, comfortable out of the box, and offer decent support as long as you like a 6" boot. I still have boots from Browning and Danner, but the Keens are the ones I grab when I go hunting. I also have boots from Lowa, Asolo, Salomon, Irish Setter, Vasque, Merrill, Garmont and others, but those are all relegated to workboot status. Danner and Asolo seem to run narrow for their size, and Irish Setters with molded soles don't seem to hold up well, but the IS with welted soles are fine. The best built molded sole boots I ever owned were probably the Asolos, but comfort was an issue for me.

Sidelock
Sidelock

You boys just wait until age creeps up on you. My buddy was trying mightily to lace his Russells last year at our duck camp when another guy told him he was just about two pounds shy of needing zipper boots. Personally I quit messing with laces years ago and just own slip on Muck boots. Works for me...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: SKB
Love my Filson's but mine are about 15 years old and I heard they moved the manufacturing to China and are no longer of the same quality. You may check the online reviews.
Steve

I have a pair of Filson Uplanders, and love them. I bought mine around 12 years ago, and they just get better with age. I think they did move them to China for a time, and people did complain about them. They are once again made in the USA, so I hope the new ones are as good as they were pre-China.

“I left long before daylight, alone but not lonely.”~Gordon Macquarrie
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.