April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (Sun Dog, ClapperZapper, SKB), 1,001 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,467
Posts545,118
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I am thinking about re-doing a receiver that Ken Hurst did for me several years ago, partially scroll and partially Bulino--wonderful job. Subject(s) are my dog (which had just died) and a Gambels quail.

I sent it out to be hot blued (at Ken's suggestion) which worked fine but with the BLUED receiver, the excellent engraving is too hard to see. I am concerned the Bulino might come out too thin and would partially disappear. I think the scroll would stand up to a light strip and polish. Thank you.

[IMG]
Sidelock
Sidelock

I think the lighter color does some good

Krieghoff San Remo grade that is lightened

Mike

Last edited by skeettx; 06/21/15 09:59 PM.

USAF RET 1971-95 [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Sidelock
Sidelock

Being hot blued it should work fine. Rust bluing can and will pit the metal and sometimes (often) bulino detail is lost during the carding off and pitting process. I have "grayed" a number of such scenes (and scroll) using naval jelly to remove the hot dip blue and cleaning with a non abrasive eraser. I usually coat around the area I want to strip with fingernail polish to keep the naval jelly off the areas I want to keep bluing on and after applying the jelly rinse with hot tap water. Sometimes a second or third coating of the jelly will help get the metal looking good.

For protection after I remove the fingernail polish with acetone I coat the area with Renaissance wax with a tiny bit of lamp black added. This really brings out the engraving.

Yes, we are talking bare metal here and the wax is a good protection for it and can easily be reapplied from time to time.

Sam Welch
Sidelock
Sidelock

Though I don't know if he used naval jelly, Ray Cover did something like what Sam describes on my M-21, with selective removal of hot blue from the bulino images he engraved before bluing. We decided to keep the blued finish on other areas of the frame with scroll engraving. (My pics are pretty poor, don't do justice to Ray's work.)

Jay

Sidelock
Sidelock

I love seeing that 21 every time you put it up, Jay. Very classy and tasteful engraving done by a master.
JR

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: John Roberts
I love seeing that 21 every time you put it up, Jay. Very classy and tasteful engraving done by a master.
JR

Thanks John. I had no idea something like this could be done until Ray suggested it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

You folks might really enjoy Roger Bleile's new book American Engravers III published by Blue Book (bluebookofgunvalues.com). There are examples of grayed scenes as well as a multitude of fine art work.

Sam Welch
JNW Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Jay,
You have to stop putting up pics of that 21 without letting me see it in person. Do you have it back yet?
Regards,
Jeff

"We are men of action. Lies do not become us."
Wesley
Sidelock
Sidelock

Very nice! A work of art.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: JNW
Jay,
You have to stop putting up pics of that 21 without letting me see it in person. Do you have it back yet?
Regards,
Jeff

Well, it was kinda on topic, ya know? smile Should have the barrels back from Bachelder's later this summer Jeff.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.