April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Jolly Bill, JDH, Ted Schefelbein, Jimmy W, 1 invisible), 469 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,466
Posts545,086
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#404992 05/28/15 11:18 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hello. Was given a 20ga Savage era Sterlingworth today. Looks like a Brush model, has a pistol grip, Savage era safety, ejectors (broken rods), and dates to 1939.

I was wondering if it is typical to have to manually move the top lever fully right in order to close the action or not? You have to on this gun, and while I've never handled a Sterlingworth before, that doesn't seem right somehow.

Thanks.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The top-lever should lock to the right when you open the gun and stay there until you snap it shut. Some shade tree mechanic probably removed the trigger plate screw and lost at least the spring and at worst both the spring and the trip that hold the rotary bolt open. To see what I mean, see the disassembly instructions on the A.H. Fox Collectors Association, Inc. web site --

http://www.foxcollectors.com/ah_fox/content/disassembly.html

Last edited by Researcher; 05/29/15 12:25 AM.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I see what you mean, and the instructions are great.

If nothing was lost, and it was simply put back together wrong, how do you correct this condition?

If parts are missing, what are the sources you folks go to for parts? I will need parts anyway I expect since the tiny rods that attach to the ejectors and insert into the barrel are gone.

All seems well other than those two issues.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Researcher: Thanks a bunch for that link! I was thinking of putting my auto-safety pin back into my 20 ga. After reviewing that link (which I printed) I have discarded the idea completely.

I have had a few SxS's apart with the attendant amateur problems that resulted and had to make a couple of those "little springs" that jump out at you without warning. Never again.

R.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Love those Sterlingworths.

By far most Sterly's were extractor guns. Are you sure your's is an ejector gun with broken ejectors? Maybe it actually has extractors? One less thing to fix if it is an extractor gun.

From my limited experience, one of the first and only things to fail on a Sterlingworth is the catch mechanism on the top lever. I imagine the parts wear and after about 100 years the engagement is no longer positive enough to hold the lever in the open position. I've got that problem with the one pictured below, and it is at the gunsmith now for repair.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: shinbone
Are you sure your's is an ejector gun with broken ejectors? Maybe it actually has extractors? One less thing to fix if it is an extractor gun.

No. Not sure. Not a newbie n general, but still learning my way around all of the wonderful SxS variations and such.

Last edited by B. Graham; 05/29/15 09:54 AM.
SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

broken ejectors for sure.....you can clearly see the pins have sheared off both sides. New parts are available but they need quite a bit of fitting and the rim cuts need to be put in as well. You can not buy just the pins as they are part of the ejectors. You may consider removing the cocking slide to see if the keeper screw for the ejectors is in place. It looks like they are out more than would be possible if the screw was there. Repairing the top lever is very easy. First remove the trigger plate screw and see if the spring and stop are there. If they are then insert the stop in the proper orientation and you should be good to go.
Steve

Last edited by SKB; 05/29/15 10:34 AM.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

A Sterly with ejectors - a nice gift indeed! Congratulations and enjoy.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: shinbone
A Sterly with ejectors - a nice gift indeed! Congratulations and enjoy.

Thank you. It was a re-gifting. He was given a Parker and this Sterlingworth. He kept that Parker.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: SKB
broken ejectors for sure.....you can clearly see the pins have sheared off both sides. New parts are available but they need quite a bit of fitting and the rim cuts need to be put in as well. You can not buy just the pins as they are part of the ejectors. You may consider removing the cocking slide to see if the keeper screw for the ejectors is in place. It looks like they are out more than would be possible if the screw was there. Repairing the top lever is very easy. First remove the trigger plate screw and see if the spring and stop are there. If they are then insert the stop in the proper orientation and you should be good to go.
Steve

Breaking the gun still pushes out the ejectors like they were extractors. I'm assuming the it's fine to shoot. Who knows how long it's been this way. I did notice that you can see remnants of the pins on the back side of the ejectors, and one pin fell out of the hole when I took the barrel off to clean it (beautiful bores.

The barrel was cut to 25 3/4", but at least they did a good job of it and reinstalled the proper bead.

Thanks!

Last edited by B. Graham; 05/29/15 01:08 PM.
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.