April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (Gartenmeister, SKB), 174 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,433
Posts544,713
Members14,402
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#404844 05/27/15 05:00 PM
SKB Online Content OP
Sidelock
OP Online Content
Sidelock

Restoration in process, getting ready to have the engraving picked up. A re-stock using the existing stock as a pattern. Fore end made from a block but inlet by CNC. The sights were made in house front and rear. Horn fore end tip on this one Dennis.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
SKB #404892 05/27/15 11:56 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Steve,
Beautiful rifle and should be a stunner. I haven't mastered horn but do like it a lot for its classic look.

Bye the bye, nice to see the pad. I use them on all the bigger rifles I build. Sissy--really don't care. Like you I build shooters and want to enjoy them. Had the Decelerators been available in the late 1800's and early 1900's I think they would have been a ubiquitous feature of nearly all the makers. I shudder at the thought of shooting an 8 pound .400 Whelen with one of the gorgeous steel trap door butt plates.
Dennis

Dennis
SKB #404911 05/28/15 08:35 AM
SKB Online Content OP
Sidelock
OP Online Content
Sidelock

Dennis,
Horn is terrible to work with, especially inletting it. The CNC mill worked like the cats meow.

I'm not a big fan of pads personally. My 8&1/4lb .404 Jeffery wears the original steel plate and I find it pleasurable to shoot. Bye the time you get up to .500 Nitro though a decent pads does seem prudent. Clients choice on this rifle. The original stock had a steel plate.

Thanks for the kind words.
Steve

Here for the meltdowns
SKB #404948 05/28/15 02:57 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Steve knows how much I have been chomping at the bit for this gun.
Now that I see it, and see the work he has put into the metal, I kinda feel like a dick!
We discussed the barrel contour, sights, and forend shape over and over and it took me forever to decide on what I wanted. This action could have taken a 577 but we decided to go with a 500. The original forends on these big bore Webleys tend to go on the fatter side, like a "perch belly" style, which I think looks terrible. My hands aren't very big so a slimmer forend was what I was looking for.
These actions are so big, it is difficult to balance the takeoff from the action face, keeping a shortish forend length and making it look congruent with the bottom of the action and of course, the abrupt angle of the underlever.
Steve would shape it, send me a picture, I would say "a little slimmer", and he would slim it a bit more, send another pic, I say "slimmer" etc.
I think it is just right now.
It is going to be an awesome rifle!

SKB #405013 05/29/15 09:34 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I, personally, would never use a pad on an expensive restock. They don't work, they look bad, and they deprive the owner of a classic butt treatment. A PAST pad on the shoulder, even two thicknesses, is a much nicer alternative. The pad on the .500 seems to be a London Guns pad, a nice alternative if you absolutely have to have a pad.

SKB Online Content OP
Sidelock
OP Online Content
Sidelock

Bill,
I think the one thing that all gunmakers must eventually come to terms with is that the client will make decisions that we would not. While not a huge fan of pads, I have shot enough big bores to appreciate them. This gun was built to shoot and carry in the field. The heavy barrel contour and the pad help in that respect. Final weight on this one is still on light side at 10&1/4 lbs. The past pads are fine on the range but not something I would consider in a field situation. Different strokes for different folks.....

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: eightbore
I, personally, would never use a pad on an expensive restock. They don't work, they look bad, and they deprive the owner of a classic butt treatment.

I wouldn't say that.
A Silvers type pad is very much a period option on this rifle and is a "classic butt treatment" in every respect.
I already have a 425 Westley, a number of BPE rifles and a Greener double rifle with steel butt plates and although they are all original fitment, none are a 500 NE single so maybe there is a bit of psychological need for me to want a pad on this gun.
We did, however opt to keep it on the thinner side so it wouldn't look so bulky on the end of the stock. Also, being a restock, it is no longer an original rifle and if desired, the original could be restored and remounted (maybe).

SKB #405044 05/29/15 01:10 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Really nice project Huvius. Good comments on options and adjustments to proportions, and if I'm not mistaken still based on historical cues. If you folks are willing, it would be great to see how things come out.

SKB #405144 05/30/15 10:17 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: SKB

I think the one thing that all gunmakers must eventually come to terms with is that the client will make decisions that we would not.

Well said. Sometimes it is a real challenge to make it work, but sometimes it works out better than the gunmaker's ideas and the client is happy. Some of the best clients have their own ideas. Working with them is a pleasure and a challenge. A long time ago.
Chuck

Sidelock
Sidelock

A steel buttplate( or Horn) is great if the rifle is only for "show".If it is to be used, it needs a pad,even if only a thin 1/4" one.They don't "slip and slide" like steel and don't make as much noise when you stand it up in the corner of the highseat(stand)."form follows function".
Mike

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.