April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (graybeardtmm3, Argo44, azgreg, LGF), 141 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,440
Posts544,758
Members14,404
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

Mike!
Good afternoon.
Was wondering how long it would be before you posted. smile I think of you shorting out everytime I see a LP thread. I'm going to try your 1/8oz over the Polywad insert next week when the rain lets up. I hear it works well.

Your not still loosening up those fine Fox guns with Wallyworld ammo are ya? You need to be feeding those girls a steady diet of nice LP spreaders.

Last edited by ithaca1; 05/19/15 04:03 PM.

Bill Johnson
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: ithaca1
Ken,
I believe I fall in the over cautious category. smile
My hunting buddy shoots LN/LR Win 12ga all the time in his Purdey hammer damascus. We often shoot side by side at the skeet range with his setup, and I'm not one bit uncomfortable.

With that said, my situation is a bit different. A VERY light damascus Flues 20ga.. Barrel walls were checked years ago but I can't remember the minimum dims. I feel over caution is in the best interest of friends, and my left hand.

I don't blame you a bit. Especially in the absence of analysis data for the smaller gauge barrels. In their case, I wouldn't consider it "over cautious". Since we have the data for the 12ga barrels, I feel fairly confident, but with a different gauge, perhaps not so much. Extrapolation would result in a testable hypothesis, but it's better to always wait until the data is actually in...No need to take chances with either the gun or your fingers and eyesight if small gauge RST and the like loads are available.

I prefer wood to plastic, leather to nylon, waxed cotton to Gore-Tex, and split bamboo to graphite.
tut Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Rather interesting. If one goes to RST's website they now list other low pressure ammo that is designed specifically for A-5 shotguns. My guesstimate is their normal light loads would not cycle the A-5 and hence they had to kick it up a notch in pressure so it would be reliable. I've heard similar things regarding some of the other Ultra-Lite ammo that had velocity of less then 1,100 FPS, coupled with a light payload.

foxes rule
Sidelock
Sidelock

Anyone want to see pics of an Ithaca Flues 20 sleeved at the 10" mark? I keep it as a reminder of what scammers gun peddlers are. And what can happen to old shotguns when fired.

Next time I'm setting back and rejointing my dedicated sporting clays gun, I'll think about whether my lack of concern for what I fed it sent me to the doctor or not. YMMV of course.

Tut, I have shot some RST loads that seemed more like noise makers than shotshells, yet they killed preserve quail just fine. I'd be leery in cold weather with them though.

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
Sidelock

CZ,
Are you sure that Flues wasn't an auto/burglar turned PC? smile
I'd love to see a pic if its not much trouble.

Ken,
I sent a 20ga load to Tom A. for testing. If all goes well I think it will be in the 6.4/6.5k psi range. I'll PM the results if your interested.

Last edited by ithaca1; 05/19/15 04:59 PM.

Bill Johnson
Sidelock
Sidelock

CZ,

Ken,
I sent a 20ga load to Tom A. for testing. If all goes well I think it will be in the 6.4/6.5k psi range. I'll PM the results if your interested.

Thanks,

That'd be great. I'm sure it's only a matter of time before I get one.

I prefer wood to plastic, leather to nylon, waxed cotton to Gore-Tex, and split bamboo to graphite.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Your not still loosening up those fine Fox guns with Wallyworld ammo are ya?

Yes and no. I've never babied the big 12; it has now fired 67,800 rounds. That includes 3,000 Win Xtralites (1 oz @ 1185) and 2,000 Rem Nitro 27's (1 oz @ 1290). I've never pressure tested either load. The bulk of the remainder was my 1 oz @ 1225 handload. It was showing signs of moderate wear...lever at 6:30, slight hammering on the watertable, dulling of the ringing "snick" I like to hear on closing. Still able to grab a .0015 feeler gauge and not let go, but I had the barrels re-fit anyway.

My 1932 Fox 16ga has digested 44,200 rounds in 13 years, including over 18,000 factories. About 14,000 factories were Remington RGLs ( 1 ounce at 1200 fps nominal; 1230-1240 in my tests). Still have about 7,000 rounds of these and 20,000 handloads to go before I pass it on to someone else.

Toplever approaching center now, no other issues.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The A-5 uses what is known as a "Long Recoil" mechanism. Pressure does not operate the A-5, recoil does. A 1oz payload @ 1200 fps would not work it as slick at 10K psi as would a 1oz load at 1250 fps even if it had only 8K psi.
Loads having specs for either can be found in the loading manuals.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
MIKE THE BEAR
Unregistered
MIKE THE BEAR
Unregistered

Mike, That load of shells and hulls reminds me of my reloading room when I was active in Skeet Shooting. Those hulls/shells can really add up when your pounding on clay targets.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.