May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (Stanton Hillis, Argo44, Ducks Rx, 1 invisible), 367 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,548
Posts546,204
Members14,423
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

Steve,
Very nice and graceful stock profile that is fitting for a long barrel. Horn fore end, yes?
Dennis

Dennis
SKB Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Ebony on this one Dennis. I'm just putting the finishing touches on a Webley single shot I restocked and the fore end tip on that rifle is horn.

Thank you all for the kind comments. I'll see if I can did up some pictures the other '03 I building for myself. It is much farther behind and an entirely different kind of rifle.
Steve

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
WJL Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Now both of those interest me. I do want to see what you do with your own '03. The Webley single shot too of course.

Jerry Liles

SKB Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Jerry,
lots more to do on my gun but this will give you and idea. I converted the bolt stop to a mauser style like on the other rifle. The square bridge on this rifle is the standard height on a Springfield just reshaped some. The rear tang is extended up over the comb, shotgun style trigger guard, lever style hinged floorplate which still needs the lever built, manlichher hinged steel buttplate. I will also built a trap grip cap for it. The front sight is sleeved on in Rigby style and will have a folding hood added. A custom base will be made for the long slide Lyman and the sight will be modified by shorting the screw so the stock will not need to be inlet for the base yet the base will remain the pre-war size. I have a very nice piece of turkish sitting aside for this rifle. lots to do before I think about stocking it. Chambered for 6.5/06 and throated for 160 grain bullets.

Here for the meltdowns
WJL Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

That's going to be a very nice rifle. Really like the shotgun trigger guard. Still don't care for the Mauser bolt stop but you do make it look like it belongs. I will be interested in seeing how you do the sight base.

Thanks for sharing.

Jerry Liles

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks for showing the projects, and the compare and contrast. I like the proportions overall of your 6.5 project pattern stock. You'll come up with a great package, here's hoping you may tweak the cheek piece a bit. I appreciate the interesting metal work and fine finish.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Steve,
I finished a .404 Jeffery bolt gun last year that mixed features in the overall stock design. This after a short hesitation to stick to the traditional. It has a Henry horn fore end tip, rounded pistol grip and a more classic American look than German or English. In the end I liked the experimentation and since it is a personal gun I am really the only person that needs to be pleased. I do hope, however, that others like it also

Anyway, experiment away. Our custom guns have become a bit stodgy.
Dennis

Dennis
SKB Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Jerry,
the sight base design will be based on a 2nd generation base using a coil spring on the plunger rather than the leaf spring used in the 1st generation base. I will then contour the base to fit the stock design and shorten the threaded staff on the rear of the slide. the idea was stolen from the Howe book and further adapted to suite my needs.

Craig,
thanks for the kind words. I have a ton of work to do on the stock before it is ready as a pattern, including some work on the cheek piece whose design I lifted directly from my Alex. Henry rifle. Your just seeing the basic design at this point as I often change gears mid-project. I could take a clue from SDH and spend a bit more time drawing out my projects but I tend to built in a very fluid manner. The first 03 for a client I posted had been originally been planned to have its scope base cut into the square bridge. At the last minute I contacted the client and asked him how he felt about the G&H mount and we decided to go that route.

Dennis,
this one is a bit of a conglomeration of styles. Mostly British influence in the stock and some in the metal as well. Rigby rifles influenced both the short fore arm and the sleeved sight. As mentioned above, AH influence on the cheek piece. Lots to do on this one. I hope to have the metal ready by next summer.

Here for the meltdowns
WJL Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks. I'll have to dig out my copy and read up on it.

I like Springfields and Mausers and I like the classic rifles from the 20's and 30's so much so that I've had Steve Durren build me Springfield in many respects like yours. It has a Lyman 48 and a Jaeger sidemount and is stocked much like a G&H. I intend to use the irons till I have to use the scope. Knowing all the choices that go into such a rifle makes me appreciate the work you have done and are doing on your two old soldiers.

Keep us posted. I really want to see how the sight turns out.

Jerry Liles

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.