April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
8 members (AaronN, HMAK, Bob Jurewicz, Lloyd3, Argo44, 1 invisible), 1,055 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,435
Posts544,708
Members14,404
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Ken Hurst
MP --- what is the ser.# of the Wesson you posted ? I don't think there were more than 33 made based on the highest ser. # that has surfaced so far. Ken

The serial number of the rifle pictured is "0", the highest serial number on a No. 1 I have personally looked at is 17. Years ago I heard there was one with a number in the 20's but never learned more about it. A subject I have not kept up on so it sounds like a lot more have surfaced.

MP Sadly Deceased as of 2/17/2014

Sidelock
Sidelock

Grant talks about serial numbers. Apparently he had seen 3 different Tip-Up guns all with same serial number. He simply states that Wesson did not pay attention to such things.

Mr. Ken, you do great work.

Pete

Sidelock
Sidelock

Glenn,

On your own Earle-Wesson, did you also use a Green Mountain barrel? What caliber and chamber? What twist? What bullet weight and profile are you using to win those long range matches?

Terry

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks Mr. MP for the ser. # --- just wondering if 33 was still the highest # known for the long range.

And, thank you Mr. PeteM for those kind words. I do try and make each piece better than the last. I've just passed into my 49th. year of gun scratching & starting to get the hang of it --- now , if I can only improve on what I;m doing.

Glenn is at the Northbrook shoot today but, I can tell you he is using one of those lesser expensive GM bbl's. He came in 5th at Raton last year in the 1000 yd shoot and 1st. at Effingham 1000 yd. this mo. He also tied for first place at Raton at the sil. shoot using a GM bbl. on a Win. highwall. In the shoot off , he dropped a shot and came in second. He said it wasn't the bbl's fault Ken

Ken Hurst
910-221-5288
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks Mr. MP for the ser. # --- just wondering if 33 was still the highest # known for the long range.

Is this info on 33 from a article or?

MP Sadly Deceased as of 2/17/2014

Sidelock
Sidelock

MP, this gun is one that a former client had. He had me engrave a Borchardt for him & I told him about this new action when he said he had #33 so wouldn't be interested in a new one. Ken

Ken Hurst
910-221-5288
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Terry:

Yes, my Wesson does have a GM barrel. It is a .45 caliber barrel with a 1-18" twist, 34" long. It is chambered for the .45-90 Win. (or the .45- 2-4/10" if you are a Sharps kinda guy.) It started out as a Winchester #6 taper octagon barrel which I turned half round and then recut the octagon to a size that matched the top flat of the action. I guess it would be about a 5-1/2 taper. The rifles weighs just under the 15 pound limit legal for an NRA rules Creedmoor rifle. The load used in this rifle for the 1000 yard matches is a 530 grain bullet from mold that B&D Molds made for me on top of 88 grains of Swiss 1-1/2f powder lit by a Federal large pistol primer. Velocity is about 1350 fps. Bullet profile is a "Creedmoor" like shape, roughly a fat spitzer sort of ogive with a round nose.

My silhouette rifle is a Winchester action with a GM .45 caliber barrel, 1-18" twist chambered for the .45-70. I shoot three different loads in that during a silhouette match, the main one being a 495 grain bullet on 72 grains of Swiss 3f, velocity about 1340 fps.

Mr. Mann's rifle has a barrel that started life as a Winchester #3 taper and is also 34" long. This long light barrel allows for installing some gravity in the buttstock to balance the gun for offhand shooting whilst still making the 12 pound 2 ounce Silhouette limit. While we have yet to do a work with it the rifle is chambered identically to my Winchester so we should have a good starting point.

Best regards,

Glenn

There is no sacrifice too great for someone else to make.
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.