April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Jtplumb, obsessed-with-doubles, LGF, 2 invisible), 448 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,479
Posts545,201
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 12 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 11 12
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Joe,
The lever is off having the 'knob' welded on. When it gets back and the welds are contoured the last bit of shaping of the lever to the grip area of the stock can be done.

There are two open sight sets that need to be shot in. I want to use 60 grain bullets in the 5.6 and haven't got anything loaded yet. The .25-20 WCF loads are ready so nothing needed there regarding reloading. Since there is lot of adjustability in the BSA 8 peep sight (the .22LR barrel) I think I can get the Federal Premium UltraMatch that I found locally to work fine. Since this sight folds down I will need to get this barrel properly shot in as the elevation knob extension will determine the final location of the butt stock nose (it needs to clear it) and then the final shaping of the butt stock can be done. My preferred .22LR ammo would have been the Remington standard velocity but it is simply not available. The UltraMatch was $185 for a brick.

Too, there is a lot of cabinet work that hasn't really been started yet and with the sub-zero temps there will be no outdoor work done on that yet.

Next up, bluing the BSA peep. I have it disassembled and polished and again the Gesswein die maker's stones were simply indispensable. Using abrasive papers would have taken a very long time by comparison and the results would have been inferior.
Dennis

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Excepting a bit of polishing, the metal work for the project is done. Here is the post for the lever work and I’ll do a separate post for the extractors.

After the lever was shaped and inletted into the buttstock, it was cut off at a predetermined length and the end was surface ground to have a rectangle with parallel and perpendicular sides. A graphite electrode was then shaped to duplicate this rectangular profile.

I had previously turned a piece of 1018 steel to a 5/8” diameter forming a cylinder. This was then milled with the EDM so that it would fit snuggly onto the lever. When fully inserted the end of the lever was just short of reaching through the cylinder. The lever and cylinder where sent off to be TIG welded so that I would have filets closing the junction of the cylinder with the lever.

The welds were then contoured to achieve the final desired profile. I’d like to drill through the cylinder and put ebony or horn plugs in. Not sure at this time whether this will be done.

Dennis

Dennis
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

The extractors presented a major challenge. Although desirable, it simply didn’t seem feasible to have a single extractor because of the considerable difference in diameters of the .22 LR to the 5.6x50R. Miniature Martini extractors are very difficult to come by and are expensive when you can find them.

Early on Morris suggested making them and when we got to the point where this was the last thing remaining to be done I gave in.

I have five original extractors for Morris to work from and he developed a Master Cam solid and created perfect extractors with the HAAS.

First, a 1018 bar was milled to the side profile of the extractor. This was then mounted in a vise and milled as shown in the photos.

A slight lip remained on the lower part of the extractor after shaping with the mill and this was rough ground off. Each extractor was then secured in a tool maker’s vise on a sine plate and the face of the extractor was milled flat and the lip, which was above the final surface, was removed.

Two original extractors are in the foreground.

The sine plate was needed because the front and back of the Martini extractor are not parallel. For reference the rear surface of the extractor is perpendicular to the axis of the bore.

Now I needed to hand fit each of the extractors. Since Morris had meticulously ensured that the standing part of the extractor was precisely the same thickness as the original Model 6 extractor, I would be removing metal from the bevel of the breach end of the barrel for the fitting.

The extractors were intentionally left high on the operative ear so the first step was to reduce the height to just clear the beveled mill cut done some time ago on the breach end of each barrel. Dykem was used to spot each extractor’s height in to its barrel before any metal was removed from the barrel. After the correct height was achieved, Prussian blue was used to move the extractor into its correct depth of rotation by carefully removing metal from the barrel.

This was tedious and time intensive. A gauge pin that fitted tightly into the rear of the chamber was brushed with Prussian blue and the extractor was rotated forward. ‘Shows’ were removed and eventually the chamber portion of the extractor fitting was done.

A completed breach end after final extractor fitting.

The final step would be cutting the extractor rim. Morris’ arguments won out and EDM milling was used.

EDM dial in for extractor rim cut.

Finally, I stamped each extractor to make identification easy. Here are the finished extractors.

I have the final finish built up on all forearms and the buttstock and the pores are filled. I will work on the sand out next.
Dennis

Dennis
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Looks like too many photos in the last post so here is the one that got dropped.

Morris produces the finest machinist work I have personally seen. The surfaces you see here are off the HAAS and no polishing was needed. This comes from a wonderful merging of machinist abilities, computer technology and visualization of tool paths relative to the desired outcome.
Dennis

Dennis
Sidelock
Sidelock

Dennis,
I share your opinion.
Mike

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I finished some of the accessories last week after installing DROs on my mini-mill. Having a no-brainer indexing system in place made precision drilling of the four ammo blocks near fool proof. Using brad pointed wood twist drills, the 3"x5" cherry blocks were drilled. A ball end mill was used to contour the top edge and then the blocks were painted on all but the top surfaces. The top was finished with tung oil and the cove was painted yellow to coordinate with the Hainsworth calvary yellow wool cloth that will be used to line the chest and case.

This completes all of the accessories that will be in the chest.
Dennis

Dennis
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Finished the stock work today and the buttstock and forearms are checker ready. All of the metal work is done excepting the lever. It had two small welding voids and they are being filled. I expect the metal to go to the engraver late next week.

Dennis

Dennis
Sidelock
Sidelock

Whoa! Absolutely beautiful! The Circassian buttstock and forends have a great pattern with strong mineral lines. ... that's my kind of stock! Very nice work Dennis!

I look forward to every update of this thread ...
Joe

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Joe,
Might be a surprise, this is Calfornia thin shelled walnut. A sleeper I think.
Dennis

Dennis
Sidelock
Sidelock

Very fine wood working & finishing, Dennis.

Page 6 of 12 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 11 12

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.