May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
8 members (R. Glenz, randy, cpa, bushveld, MattH, 1 invisible), 245 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,494
Posts545,334
Members14,410
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Ken61 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I just picked up the left dog on Sunday. Smokey is quite a bit smaller than Jake, and a couple of years younger. Poor guy has been kenneled for the past two years, but I'm glad his owner finally determined he needed a better lifestyle. He's a failed Field Trial dog, registered with the FDSB. On the phone, he was described as pretty Big-Goin', but that is not the case. He's actually more of a short to medium range dog, reminding me of Brittany's I've hunted over. He has the size, energy, and personality of my previous Springer's, so I'm very happy with him.

I now have what I consider the "Perfect Brace". Jake works fairly long, and at a steady Lope, Smokey tears back-and-forth in front of me with typical smaller-dog energy and enthusiasm. Jake's point is the type with the leg-bent crouch, yet Smokey's is the head-high, straight-up tail type. It's very cool when they honor each other's points.

Rescue dogs are great.

I prefer wood to plastic, leather to nylon, waxed cotton to Gore-Tex, and split bamboo to graphite.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Congrats, Ken. Nice to have two, to keep each other company.
Hope they work out real well together.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

let me add my congratulations Ken as well. I envy all of you as my allergies preclude ever being able to own a dog.
Jim

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Wow Ken. Smokey could be the litter mate of Zach.
Affixed to the RV but not ready to leave S. Dakota.

Got him from Dr Greg Abbott in Holton, KS when I covered for him at the Potawatomi IHS clinic in 1995

Ken61 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks James and Ted.

Drew,

He sure looks like him. He may be related. Here's the lineage, a Long Shot possibility:

Sire: Resa's Trouble Mace.
Grandparents: Barb's Tekoa Trouble and CH Sue Maggie Sue.
G/Grandparents: Tomoka's Smokin Mike & Tekoa Mountain Liz, Sue Billie Sue & Master Mohawk Mike.

Dam: Resa's Tekoa Kate.
Grandparents: Run Plummer Bo & Susie Milo.
G/Grandparents: CH See Johnny Run & Killion Diamond Kate, River Ridge Johniejack & Milo's Tomoka Jill.

His Great-GreatGrandfather was Tekoa Mountain Sunrise, Sire of See Johnny Run.

He's got a few champions in his immediate genetics. He's neutered, but that's the way it goes.

All-in-All, a nice dog that'll be a great pet, with the added bonus of being a fine Hunter.

Last edited by Ken61; 05/20/15 07:37 PM.

I prefer wood to plastic, leather to nylon, waxed cotton to Gore-Tex, and split bamboo to graphite.
Sidelock
Sidelock

That's it just rub salt in the wound.

My own fault I know. You were a true gentleman giving me the opportunity to take him home.

Last edited by ithaca1; 05/19/15 03:18 PM.

Bill Johnson
Ken61 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Bill,

If you're ever ready, I'll find one for you. It seems I have a Knack.

German Shepherds are great dogs. The one's my neighbors had in Germany were incredible. As were the other sporting dogs (Shorthairs, Drahthaars, etc) other's had. They only have the one shortcoming, having to do with feathers...

Sidelock
Sidelock

Yep. Zach had some Tekoa Mountain Sunrise.

Pointing the elusive Kansas yard deer

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ken,
My male my be lacking feathers, but he is hell on squirrels. I use to pay my son $2.00 apiece to shoot the squirrels and keep them at a manageable level. Last year I had to take a loan out to pay him. Now that I found out the Shepherd can catch them, I turned the duties over to him. Only down side is my wife has to wrestle the squirrels away from the dog when he is using them for a chew toy in the back yard. smile

When I get the ok for #3 I'll definitely take you up on the offer and make the long range road trip to Iowa.

Bill Johnson
Ken61 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Drew, that's great.

They have the same type of Point. Smokey has quite a bit more black on his back. He's also got some scattered orange (lighter than Liver, more like a Brittany type color) on his front and forelegs.

You can tell he's been kenneled for a long time, he "poops out" quickly. With an hour of work daily, he'll be ready for Fall.

Now I'm like Ted, I'm "counting the days".....

Last edited by Ken61; 05/19/15 07:12 PM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.