May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
2 members (Lloyd3, Jtplumb), 268 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,493
Posts545,327
Members14,410
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

Having re read the original post O agree if it is marked 2&3/4" case then I think it is safe to assume the gun was originally chambered for a "2&3/4" roll turn over case .Nitro proof did come in in the late 1890's and became the norm after 1904 .
Many guns made for the export market were still proofed for black powders as nitro powders were not readily available and as "home loading" was widely practiced due spasmodic availability commercially bought cartridges .

I don't know if yours falls into the category but I have seen Lancaster's sold as the Colonial model usually with only boarder line engraving , some marked as "The Colindian "or The Coladian"for export to India and Canada .I don't know if there was a "Colmerican".

Sidelock
Sidelock

Having re read the original post I agree if it is marked 2&3/4" case then I think it is safe to assume the gun was originally chambered for a "2&3/4" roll turn over case .Nitro proof did come in in the late 1890's and became the norm after 1904 .
Many guns made for the export market were still proofed for black powders as nitro powders were not readily available and as "home loading" was widely practiced due spasmodic availability of commercially bought cartridges .

I don't know if yours falls into the category but I have seen Lancaster's sold as the Colonial model usually with only boarder line engraving , some marked as "The Colindian "or The Coladian"for export to India and Canada .I don't know if there was a "Colmerican".

Last edited by gunman; 04/28/15 02:27 PM.
sakmyk Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Thanks for that OWD!

Gunman. No, this is not a Colonial model - at least not if those were usually with border engraving. There's a nice scroll engraving on the sideplates of this gun. Se photo on the right sideplate here

I hope to find out more about the history of this individual gun, but probably not a "Colindian" nor "Colamerican" grin . I'm based in Finland and the gun appears to have been here in the same family for a long time.

On the photo you can also see the not-so-beautiful repair at wrist (and it looks better than it actually is). Also dents on the trigger guard, some ruined screwheads here and there etc. It seems that the gun has been out in the field a lot!!

Regards,
Sakari

Sidelock
Sidelock

You can email the current owners of the Lancaster records and ask them to give you a summary of the information they have on your serial number. If warranted you can order a letter. I found them very helpful in the past with several Lancaster purchases. Good luck on your restoration. Please post some pics when you get a chance.

sakmyk Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Originally Posted By: susjwp
You can email the current owners of the Lancaster records and ask them to give you a summary of the information they have on your serial number.

Susjwp, do you know who would be the current owner of the Lancaster records? Regarding times before 2010 I've heard of names Joseph Brazier, David Perkins and Ron Wharton, but what about now?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ron Wharton & Margarita last I knew. I wouldn't deal with them, tread lightly. I've paid for letters and only received fuzzy pictures to my email addy. No letters ever arrived here. Last attempt, 2012. Always some sort of run around. I just said f-it and gave up. Lesson learned.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sakmyk, I concur with those that have guessed that the 2 3/4" engraving and chamber length is probably original. Although chambers were, and are, regularly lengthened on both sides of the pond, it is not necessary nor common to find it ENGRAVED on the gun. Stamped as part of the proof marks but not engraved.
The other question you ask is about the disc-set strikers.
On the Lancasters of this age, they are held in place by the pin in the fence and if this is worn, broken or otherwise a poor fit, the striker spring will push the disc proud of the breech face but it will be easy to push it flush. Just have a pair of better fitting retaining pins made up and your problem will be solved.
Another matter you should be aware of is with the ejectors, if it so equipped. In their quest to avoid paying other inventors a royalty for using their patents, they used a suite of highly individual mechanisms in their guns. You may have the ubiquitous Southgate, or Deeley if a conversion, but you may have the Perkes which looks like a Southgate in passing but when exposed, the spring looks like a snail on LSD (it performs the functions of both sear and tumbler) and is very probably irreplaceable. DO NOT BREAK OR LOSE IT!

sakmyk Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Toby, thanks for the detailed information. And sorry about the delay - I've been away for a while.

Yes, my gun is fitted with ejectors. So far I haven't been able to inspect which type. However, having now read your perceptive description, I will definitely be able to tell if its Perkes smile

Sidelock
Sidelock

Pm sent

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.