April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (Hugh Lomas, Jimmy W, j7l2, PALUNC), 1,095 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,468
Posts545,139
Members14,409
Most Online1,271
Apr 26th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Chantry Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Isaac Hollis and Sons, there is very little out there that I could find. I do know that much of what they made was of lower quality (by British standards) for export to South Africa and/or India.

I have a 10g hammer gun with scroll engraving covering the hammers and most of the receiver, more then I would expect for a export gun.

I have become addicted to English hammered shotguns to the detriment of my wallet.
Sidelock
Sidelock

isaac hollis and sons were around for a long time. they made muzzle loaders and cartridge guns. here is a link for more info:

https://www.google.com/?trackid=sp-006#q=isaac+hollis+and+sons+history

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

Here is the IGC rundown on Hollis for you:

Name Hollis Brothers
Other Names Hollis Bros & Co; Hollis & Tranter; Hollis & Sheath; Isaac Hollis & Sons (Ltd); Hollis Sheath & Tranter; Hollis Bentley & Playfair
Address1 11 Weaman Row
Address2 10-11 Weaman Row
Address3 49 Whittall Street
Address4 5-11 Weaman Row
Address5 Lench Street
Address6 Colmore Works, Lench Street
Address7 16-17 Loveday Street
City/Town Birmingham
Country United Kingdom
Trade Gun, rifle & pistol makers
Other Address Colmore Works, 16-17 Loveday Street; 91-92 Lower Loveday Street. London Addresses: 44a Cannon Street; 83 Cheapside; 6 Great Winchester Street; 26 Billiter Buildings; 101 Leadenhall Street; 9 New Broad Street; Atlantic House, 46a Holborn Viaduct; 143 Holborn; 54 Clerkenwell Road; 84 Goswell Road
Dates 1840-1953

Notes

Hollis Brothers was first recorded trading from 11 Weaman Row in 1840 but appear to have started trading a little earlier. The firm later became Isaac Hollis & Sons and claimed establishment from 1814. Richard & William Hollis were recorded trading in Bath Street (no number stated) from 1814 to 1818 so it may be that the Hollis brothers were descended from them. The brothers were Isaac Hollis (b.1815) and Frederick Hollis (birth date unknown), but Frederick died 20 December 1839. Isaac was recorded in the 1841 census living in Weaman Row (no number stated). He was a 25 year old gun and pistol maker, married to Emma (b.1821). They had two children, Isaac (b.1837), and Henry(b.1839). After Frederick died, Isaac carried on trading under the name of Hollis Brothers until 1845 when he re-named the business Hollis Brothers & Co who traded up to 1848. In 1844 Isaac (I) entered into a short term partnership with William Tranter at 10 & 11 Weaman Row, presumably to complete a particular contract or supply certain parts, this partnership lasted until 1849.

In 1848 Isaac (I) took in Isaac Brentnall Sheath as a partner, and the firm of Hollis & Sheath was established, expanding into 10 Weaman Row. This may have been intended as a long lasting partnership whereas in 1849 (only?) another partnership was established, this was Hollis, Sheath & Tranter which was probably for the purpose of completing a particular contract. In 1851 Hollis & Sheath moved their principal offices to 49 Whittall Street, but in 1853 these moved back to Weaman Row where the addition of the premises at 5-9 Weaman Row gave them the address of 5-11 Weaman Row. The firm either had an unrecorded office in London or they had an unknown agent. There are reports that Charles Rosson was apprenticed to John Francis & Co and worked for Hollis & Sheath, but this is unlikely because of the dates of trading of the two firms. He was probably apprenticed to Hollis & Sheath and then worked for John Francis & Co. In the 1851 census, Isaac and Emma were recorded living in Frederick Place, Frederick Street, Edgbaston (according to the street directories they were living at 45 Frederick Street by 1855). By 1851 they had three daughters, Emma (b.1842), Louisa (b.1847), and Fanny Charlotte (b.1851), and a further son, Alfred (b.1849). Isaac and Emma employed a house servant and a nursemaid so they were comparatively wealthy. The 1851 census also records Isaac (II) and Henry as pupils at Baily Grove School, Champion Hill, East Dulwich, London.

Hollis & Sheath were licenced makers of percussion breech loading guns under Frederick Prince's patents 386 of 1855, and 3036 of 1856. Isaac Sheath himself held patent No. 996 of 26 April 1853 for a revolver part (?). The licence to make Frederick Prince's patent probably passed to the London Armoury Company Ltd in 1861 when the firm changed its name to Isaac Hollis & Sons on the departure of Isaac Brentnall Sheath. On 1 May 1861 Isaac Hollis (I) patented a single piece trigger guard and trigger plate (No. 1082). He patented another in 1868 (No. 4922). In the 1861 census, Isaac and Emma, Isaac (II), Henry, Emma (II), Louisa and Fanny Charlotte were recorded living at 35 Frederick Street with a cook and a housemaid. By this time Isaac (II) and Henry were recorded as gun makers, but Alfred was not recorded. Emma died in January 1867 and in about 1868 Isaac (I), who was 53 years old, married Catherine who was only 18 years old (b.1850). The 1871 census records Isaac (I) and Catherine living at Summerside, Great Malvern, Worcestershire. Isaac (I) described himself as a gun maker but was obviously semi-retired. Not surprisingly, Isaac (I) died in July 1875 only about 8 years after marrying Catherine. By about 1870 Isaac (II) and Henry had taken over the day to day running of the business. Isaac (II) was responsible for overall management and the marketing of the firm's products. Henry was responsible for manufacturing. The firm became volume producers of inexpensive trade guns and sporting guns for the South African and Indian markets, but they also made quality guns for British provincial makers such as Crockart of Blairgowrie.

In 1870 the firm opened a shop at 44a Cannon Street in London; in 1871 this moved to 83 Cheapside. In the 1871 census Isaac (II) was recorded living at the home of George A Terry (b.1836 in Birmingham) at 10 Fenwick Road, Lambeth, London. George Terry was a gunmaker's agent. Henry Hollis was recorded as a gun manufacturer in the 1871 census. In 1869 he had married Harriette (b.1845 Edgbaston) and they lived at 37 Frederick Street, Birmingham. Fanny Charlotte was living with them. They were not recorded as having had any children. On 10 June 1875 Alfred Burdett Hollis registered patent No. 2128 for additional bolting on a breech loading action and a lever to retract strikers. The bolting mechanism comprised one-piece double bolt the bottom part of the bolt engaging with a bite in the rear lump and a top part of the bolt engaging with a lug on the rear of the extractor. The mechanism was actuated by a top lever and link to the top part of the bolt or a side lever engaging with the bottom part of the bolt. Isaac (II) died in October 1875 in Birmingham aged 37. He never married. In 1876/1877 Henry registered a limited liability company, Isaac Hollis & Sons Ltd, but by 1879 they were again trading as Isaac Hollis & Sons. From 1879 the London shop was at 6 Great Winchester Street.

In the 1881 census Henry was recorded living with Harriette (b.1848 in Erdington) at Spring Villa, Water Orton, Aston, Birmingham. By the time of the 1891 census when Henry was only 51 years old, he had retired. He and Harriette were living at Beechcroft, Westbourne Road, Edgbaston. It is not known who took over the business, it may have been sold to Bentley & Playfair (see below). In 1892 in London the firm moved to 26 Billiter Buildings. Between about 1890 and 1894 in Birmingham the firm moved from Weaman Row to Lench Street but, strangely, no number is known. In 1900 the firm's London office moved to 101 Leadenhall Street, but in 1903 it moved to 9 New Broad Street which was the same address as Bentley & Playfair's premises from 1891 to 1892. Bentley & Playfair became a limited company in 1904. On 26 May 1909 R J Petersen of I Hollis & Sons together with H & R Whittington of T Whittington & Sons registered patent No. 12419 for a selective single trigger. On 10 July 1909 R J Petersen on his own registered patent No. 16128 for a parallel rifled barrel with recessed smooth bored choke to fire shot or bullets and therefore compete with Paradox type guns.

In 1911 Isaac Hollis & Sons and Bentley & Playfair Ltd amalgamated to become Hollis, Bentley & Playfair. The Birmingham factory in Lench Street was named the Colmore Works, and in London the firm moved to Bentley & Playfair's old London premises at Atlantic House, 46a Holborn Viaduct. In 1914, at the start of the First World War, the company bought the business of Clabrough & Johnstone and they both occupied 143 Holborn. In 1915 the two firms entered into a joint venture to try and win government contracts. This joint venture, named Standard Small Arms Co Ltd, was located at 90 Cannon Street. In 1916 in Birmingham, Hollis, Bentley & Playfair moved to 16-17 Loveday Street. From 1920 to 1923 the business of Hollis, Bentley & Playfair (Isaac Hollis & Sons) occupied 54 Clerkenwell Road. In Birmingham the business continued as Hollis, Bentley & Playfair only to change to Hollis, Bentley & Playfair (I Hollis & Sons) in 1925. In 1924 the London business changed to trade from 54 Clerkenwell Road both as I Hollis & Sons and as Hollis, Bentley & Playfair (I Hollis & Sons). In 1926 the Birmingham factory at 16-17 Loveday Street was again named the Colmore Works. In 1931 the name Hollis, Bentley & Playfair was revived and the factory moved to 91-92 Lower Loveday Street.

From 1932 to 1933 the London business traded as Hollis, Bentley & Playfair from 84 Goswell Road and I Hollis & Sons from 54 Clerkenwell Road. Perhaps they were involved in different parts of the gun trade. From 1934 the London businesses traded under both names but only from 84 Goswell Road. From 1939 to 1943, when the London offices were closed, the business traded only as Hollis, Bentley & Playfair. Hollis, Bentley & Playfair finally closed in Birmingham in 1953.

Other Info
In about 1900 the firm sold cartridges under the name "Hollis' Special".

Tim

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.