Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 16 of 18 1 2 14 15 16 17 18
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Kyrie
Originally Posted By: Geo. Newbern
I bought a Spanish gun a few months ago, a "Widow and Sons of J.J. Sarasqueta". I read Weiland's book and figured JJ must have been trading on Victor's, his more famous brother's premier position in the Spanish gun trade. Turned out the more famous brother began his life in the gun business as JJ's apprentice in 1882 and did not begin his own company until 1904.

Victor went out of business in the late '70s or so and JJ's widow&sons published the firm's centennial catalog in the '80s. Weiland's book is great but he really didn't dig as deeply as he might have to accurately present the Spanish gun trade...Geo

Victor Sarasqueta founded his gun making business in 1904, flourished, and he and his descendants continued to make guns for almost eighty years.

Very well done, Geo.

Geo Newbern, where did you find your source material for Viuda y Hijos de J.J. Sarasqueta and Victor Sarasqueta his brother, and when they started their respective companies? From their centennial catalog?

According to Wieland in Spanish Best, it was Victor Sarasqueta that founded his business in 1883, not 1904, and was considered the first dominant name gunmaking company in Spain. Victor Sarasqueta was appointed Gunmaker to the King in 1902; so 1904 doesn't add up for his business start up.

Anyway, according to Wieland it was when Alfonso XIII (b: 1886) became king that the Spanish gunmakers really began to flourish because of his enthusiasm for guns and shooting sports. But that was gunmaking for turn of the century Spainish consumption.

Tim

Sidelock
Sidelock

Get in line Adam, as we're still waiting for the omnipotent and all-knowing one to show us just one actual pic of an Arrieta 578 with 7-pin locks after making this ludicrous and unsubstantiated claim several months ago:
"I can only remark that there are as many Arrieta model 578 guns out there with seven pin locks as with five pin locks."

Wild Skies
Since 1951
Sidelock
Sidelock

Tim, I bought a copy of the JJ catalog from Cornell. It is in Spanish, but I read um pocito; can't savvy a word of what they say though...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Wild Skies
Get in line Adam, as we're still waiting for the omnipotent and all-knowing one to show us just one actual pic of an Arrieta 578 with 7-pin locks after making this ludicrous and unsubstantiated claim several months ago:
"I can only remark that there are as many Arrieta model 578 guns out there with seven pin locks as with five pin locks."

That's Kyrie for you... the all-knowing will make a comment and assume that nobody will dare question him. If he gets called out, he'll just talk about something else and hope everyone forgets his incorrect and misleading comments. i.e the spanish did not copy the english, i.e. the spanish gun trade was flourishing in 1880s, etc.

Sidelock
Sidelock

01/05/15 03:59 PM

Yes, I saw the ~ 40 year old Arrieta catalog with an illustrator's rendition of a generic 7-pin sidelock with a superimposed image of an engraving pattern on it, but I'll be darned if Google could come up with a few pics of actual guns that have the typical 578 engraving pattern and 7-pin locks.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Tim Cartmell

According to Wieland in Spanish Best, it was Victor Sarasqueta that founded his business in 1883, not 1904, and was considered the first dominant name gunmaking company in Spain. Victor Sarasqueta was appointed Gunmaker to the King in 1902; so 1904 doesn't add up for his business start up.

Tim

Tim,

I like Wieland’s “Spanish Best” and recommend it, with two caveats, to anyone with an interest in Spanish shotguns. One caveat is “Spanish Best” represents only the tip of the iceberg when it comes to Spanish shotguns. For every maker Wieland mentions there are at least five more that he does not. The second caveat is “Spanish Best” contains many errors.

To illustrate this last point Wieland writes:

“The modern standard is the bar-action sidelock. I have never seen a back-action sidelock on a Spanish shotgun. “
Terry Wieland. Spanish Best (p. 112). Kindle Edition.

Wieland includes photos of two back action shotgun locks in “Spanish Best”, one on page 161and another on page 171.

The early years of Victor Sarasqueta’s involvement in the guns making business is another place Wieland falls down. While Victor Sarasqueta was involved in making shotguns in Spain as early as 1888 (having graduated from the gun making school in 1887), and was a joint owner of a gun making company as early as 1899, he did not open his own business until 1904.

Wieland has Victor Sarasqueta opening his own business years before he even graduated from gun making school.

Read and enjoy “Spanish Best”, but don’t take anything you may find in it as holy writ.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Geo. Newbern
Tim, I bought a copy of the JJ catalog from Cornell. It is in Spanish, but I read um pocito; can't savvy a word of what they say though...Geo

Geo. for your information. There is a picture of the Royal Warrant making Victor Sarasqueta gunmaker to the king, dated 1902, on pg. 29 of Wieland's Spanish Best.

I doubt if your info. about Victor Sarasqueta starting his company in 1904 is correct. I couldn't see a Royal Warrant being granted to an upstart or non existing company. I would think he would have been an established company in 1902.

Tim

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Kyrie

Tim

The early years of Victor Sarasqueta’s involvement in the guns making business is another place Wieland falls down. While Victor Sarasqueta was involved in making shotguns in Spain as early as 1888 (having graduated from the gun making school in 1887), and was a joint owner of a gun making company as early as 1899, he did not open his own business until 1904.

Wieland has Victor Sarasqueta opening his own business years before he even graduated from gun making school.

Kyrie,

Where are you getting this information from? What are your source references?

Tim

Sidelock
Sidelock

Tim, I certainly do not claim any expertise regarding Spanish guns. I only own one, well two if you count the AYA single shot I'm planning on making into a turkey buster. The other is the JJ Sarasqueta I mentioned earlier and which piqued my interest in the the Spanish guns at all. I'd sworn off Spanish guns years ago when I bought a .410 out of a barrel of them for $75 from Art Mickler's sporting goods store in Macon GA back in the 1960's.

You seem to have considerable knowledge of the subject so my memory is likely wrong, as usual. I'm pretty sure Victor did not commence business in his own name until after 1900 though. Can't cite sources because I probably "got it off the internet"...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Kyrie,

Where are you getting this information from? What are your source references?

Tim

I’ve been a collector of Spanish firearms for over fifty years. My sources are various and include, in no particular order, the national arms industrial registry (1830 – 1940), a host of lesser books on and by the gun makers of Eibar and Barcelona, period newspaper articles and trade periodicals, biographies of the individuals involved, and decades of correspondence with people in or retired from the firearm business in Spain.

Page 16 of 18 1 2 14 15 16 17 18

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.