May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
7 members (Chantry, eeb, docbill, 3 invisible), 325 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,522
Posts545,775
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

When I was shooting pheasants for Spaniel hunt tests we shot 7 1/2 at all levels even when riding them out a ways for masters I usually backed my first shot with a #6 on the masters though. On wild birds I only shoot one oz loads but either 5's or 6's or a mix. All hunting with dogs, no drives.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Stallones
Several years ago while on a Quail hunt in central texas a friend of mine,who is a good shot, said he was not killing birds as he usually did.
Asking what ammo he was using , he showed me the cheap 12 ga Dove loads by WW .
I suggested a test, which I Was already familiar with ,of putting a Aluminum can at 25 -30 yds and trying his loads and my AA 1 oz loads in his Beretta auto.
The results were shocking to him as the quality loads put about twice as many pellets in the can as the promotional loads.. Try it yourself !

My first "guiding" job, going way back, was when I had the lofty title of Iowa Editor of Outdoor Life. (Not much money involved, nor much work. Just submit some short, state-specific items every month.) Anyhow, I ended up guiding some advertising guys from the magazine for Iowa pheasants--which were plentiful back then. They were all shooting 12's. One of the guys had been delegated to pick up ammo for the crew. He bought a flat of the cheapest 1 oz loads he could find. I was carrying a 16. Watched those guys blow off a lot of feathers with not a lot of birds on the ground. Sometimes I'd back them with my 16, which produced better results.

One of them remarked that I must be a really good shot (obvious confusion there!), using a 16 on pheasants when they were having trouble killing birds with 12's. I broke open my old Sauer and showed him the 1 1/8 oz high brass 6's I was shooting. Explained that it might be a case of better quality loads with more shot, along with the fact that I spent a lot of time hunting pheasants.

Not a good idea to go with el cheapo ammo when you're shooting live critters. Probably not when you're shooting targets at longer range either, but at least they don't fly off crippled.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.