May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
3 members (earlyriser, 2 invisible), 333 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,520
Posts545,753
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Stan
Originally Posted By: Ted Schefelbein
[quote=Ken61]

On a related note, does anyone know what to do with a bunch of 12 gauge 3" loads of number 4 lead shot?

I got stuck with a bunch of that, too.

Best,
Ted

Buy you a H.S. Strut "Hammerin'" mouth crow call and have at 'em. One a one-quarter ounce of fours is bad long range crow medicine. I love 'em.

SRH

Pigeons over a feed-lot! 'Not a turkey hunter, eh?

Regards
Ken

I prefer wood to plastic, leather to nylon, waxed cotton to Gore-Tex, and split bamboo to graphite.
Sidelock
Sidelock

We were changing out some hydraulic hoses yesterday on an 8 row bedder and a big gang of crows kept swinging by. They came a little too close and I walked to the truck, pulled out my old 32" Montgomery Ward loaded with Nitro Express 4s, and decked one at about 60 yards. The others talked bad about my ancestry for awhile. grin

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

The loads "replacement" mentions were intended for CAS shooters. Today, Federal loads a 7/8 ounce Top Gun at 1200 fps, the same as the previously mentioned paper load. However, without testing, we don't know the pressure of either. By the way, the latest price on the Top Guns is $52.25 a flat. I'm shooting them in all my 12 gauge guns, including Damascus. I have no idea how they could load a 1200 fps 7/8 ounces load that would damage any gun.

Sidelock
Sidelock

[quote=Ken61]

On a related note, does anyone know what to do with a bunch of 12 gauge 3" loads of number 4 lead shot?

Best,
Ted

Buy you a H.S. Strut "Hammerin'" mouth crow call and have at 'em. One a one-quarter ounce of fours is bad long range crow medicine. I love 'em.

SRH

Where do you guys buy 1 1/4oz 3" loads? These are all 1 3/8oz loads. I get a headache thinking about feeding them to a double, and even the Stupid Black Eagle is unpleasant to shoot with loads like that.

I was never impressed with any #4 load I patterned, back in the day. I doubt I ever tried one that had more than 1 1/4oz in it, which, is about 169 pellets.
I'm more recoil sensitive, now.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Well, this discussion was profitable and enlightening. I see that I share the same feelings as many here regarding loads, etc for wild pheasants. As stated earlier, I have only been pheasant hunting (wild birds) for 13 years this coming November. But in that time I have experimented with various loads, some of them older offerings from days gone by as many of you here relate. The load that I have pretty much stuck with for the last couple of years has been Fiocchi #5's (or 6's depending on availability) in either 12 or 20, with the corresponding load applicable to the gauge, but generally not more than 1 and 1/8 in 20 and 1 and 1/4 in 12. One thing guaranteed though: nothing longer than 2.75 inches in either. This year I have a new (to me) Ithaca 37 in 16 gauge (my first ever) that I have a stock of 1 and 1/8 oz loads of 6's procured that I will have a go at the wild ditch parrots with. I have already blooded it on preserve quail (8's) and chukkar (7.5's) and it does its job if I do mine.

As to my initial question regarding "why not shoot WalMart shells in fine guns", we have talked all around it while enjoying a sampling of each others' favorite loads but I don't think I ever heard a precise point made other than someone who alluded to "pressure" and wear on metal as well as wood and most of all "shoulders" from light guns. Soooo, I will accept that and thank everyone for the discussion!!

Perry M. Kissam
NRA Patron Life Member
Sidelock
Sidelock

Sorry Perry, but I had incorrectly assumed that you probably knew the reason to avoid shooting the low cost Wal Mart type promo loads in your vintage doubles.

These typically cheap low brass shells can actually produce peak pressures equal or greater than many higher dram equivalent high brass shells because one of the ways the manufacturer keeps the cost lower is by using smaller charges of faster burning powder. The result is a higher and quicker peak pressure, something to avoid if you wish to shoot vintage doubles with the type of loads for which they were designed. Pressure has virtually nothing to do with recoil other than the fact that it is pressure which produces the velocity of the shot. Shot charges of promo loads are usually smaller than most high brass premium loads, but the velocities are right up there, and the recoil impulse can be a little hard on 100 year old wood.

That said, many of these old doubles have been used with anything that would fit in the chambers. Of course, many are loose, off face, and worn out for a reason too. Since we know better, it is prudent to give them the proper diet so they can last for many more years. An Indy car can go nearly 200 MPH. But they rebuild the engine after 500 miles if it finishes the race.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

[quote=Ken61]

Best,
Ted

SRH

Where do you guys buy 1 1/4oz 3" loads? These are all 1 3/8oz loads. I get a headache thinking about feeding them to a double, and even the Stupid Black Eagle is unpleasant to shoot with loads like that.

I was never impressed with any #4 load I patterned, back in the day. I doubt I ever tried one that had more than 1 1/4oz in it, which, is about 169 pellets.

Best,
Ted

Ted, I've never shot anything bigger than 5's at pheasants; mostly 6's (American or Brit). However, in his "Shotgun Book", Jack O'Connor talks about a friend of his who shot 4's (I think 1 1/4 oz) through an IC choke. Per Jack: "I have patterned his improved cylinder barrel with his favorite shot size, and at 35 yards the patterns have holes that you could throw a cocker spaniel through." Yet O'Connor says the guy did very well with that choke/load combo.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Best,
Ted

Recoil, schmecoil. Get ya' a good ol' heavy 32" gun, strap on a Kick Killer pad, load her to the gills, point her in the right direction, close both eyes and yank that trigger. When the crow falls you never remember it kicking. laugh

I don't normally shoot 3" loads, but I would if I had 'em.

SRH

Last edited by Stan; 03/25/15 08:44 PM.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Several years ago while on a Quail hunt in central texas a friend of mine,who is a good shot, said he was not killing birds as he usually did.
Asking what ammo he was using , he showed me the cheap 12 ga Dove loads by WW .
I suggested a test, which I Was already familiar with ,of putting a Aluminum can at 25 -30 yds and trying his loads and my AA 1 oz loads in his Beretta auto.
The results were shocking to him as the quality loads put about twice as many pellets in the can as the promotional loads.. Try it yourself !

Sidelock
Sidelock

I don't know that I own a heavy gun. Since both of the safes are full, I doubt I'll start looking now!
Stan, I get why you shoot the crows, but, if I fire a round of ammunition at something I expect to eat it. If I eat crow in the future, it will be in the figurative sense, only.
Enjoy.

Best,
Ted

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.