May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
6 members (Vol423, azgreg, skeettx, Pwog, ClapperZapper, 1 invisible), 1,092 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,512
Posts545,663
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: OH Osthaus
doesn't Clint Eastwood carry a double rifle in "White Hunter, Black Heart" been a very long time since i watched it

There's even a scene where he went and purchased it. It was a Holland & Holland "Elephant Magnum" (Wiki) supposedly similar to what John Huston took with him while filming the movie. Since Eastwood's character was based on John Huston and the shooting of the movie "The African Queen", I always remember John Huston's speech at as I recall the Oscars, I believe he may have been receiving a "Lifetime Achievement" award. He related the experience that while filming the movie, the local police came and arrested the hunter hired to provide meat for the camp. It seems that the hunter had been providing what was called "Long Pig" for everyone to eat.

Last edited by Ken61; 03/18/15 03:24 PM.

I prefer wood to plastic, leather to nylon, waxed cotton to Gore-Tex, and split bamboo to graphite.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hmmm, long pig, eh.... A novel use of poachers, perhaps?
Poached poacher!

Sidelock
Sidelock

heres another:
Lock, Stock and two Smoking Barrels!!!!

involves a pair of Holland and Holland hammer guns.

Last edited by Brian; 03/17/15 09:50 AM.

Brian
LTC, USA Ret.
NRA Patron Member
AHFGCA Life Member
USPSA Life Member

Sidelock
Sidelock

Pat Garrett and Billy The Kid
from the 70's.
a 10 Ga loaded with two barrels full of dimes.
remember the line after he shoots the guy?

"keep the change!"

Brian
LTC, USA Ret.
NRA Patron Member
AHFGCA Life Member
USPSA Life Member

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Brian
from the 70's.
a 10 Ga loaded with two barrels full of dimes.
remember the line after he shoots the guy?

"keep the change!"

someone a while back - myth busters maybe- did a test on that - turns out as we would expect - the ballistics of a load of dimes is crap, the effectiveness is feet not yards

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Brian
from the 70's.

Lot's of good music on that one's soundtrack. Bob Dylan at his best.

Like during Slim Picken's death scene. Ya gotta like Peckinpah..Lot's of good pumpgun use during the last 15 minutes of the "Wild Bunch". As well as in the "Military Intervention" (actually, "Krag" use here) and the last scenes of "The Wind and the Lion"..

Intervention clip:

https://myspace.com/oceanside_gangbusters/video/u.s.-marines-invade-embassy-part-two/108987328

Last edited by Ken61; 03/17/15 11:21 AM.

I prefer wood to plastic, leather to nylon, waxed cotton to Gore-Tex, and split bamboo to graphite.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Not a hunting movie, but Tom Horn starring Steve McQueen is a favorite of mine. A REAL western.

Stan, thanks for the heads up; I admit to not having known the story nor about Ward and Christmas previous to your post. I really like Jim Caviezel (I'm a big Person of Interest fan), and Roger Pinckney's (who I also like a lot) review was more than enough to seal the deal; I just ordered up the book and the movie.

Last edited by Fin2Feather; 03/17/15 11:05 AM.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. - Albert Einstein
Sidelock
Sidelock

"In The Blood" Bartle Bull

Hunt with vintage classics.
The right of the people to keep & bear arms shall not be infringed.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

You're very welcome, F2F. My wife loved it so much she bought us a copy off Amazon. We NEVER buy movies, 'til now. Pinckney is fast becoming my favorite outdoor writer.

Let me know how you like it.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Has anyone seen Home From The Hill recently enough to remember if the hunting and gun scenes were done well? It's been so long since i've seen it that I can't recall much detail. Great book, deserved an accurate transition to the movie screen.
But since the time Hollywood cast a Labrador Retriever as Ol' Yeller I have not expected much accuracy from that bunch.

Last edited by Beagle; 03/18/15 02:14 PM.
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.