April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Jimmy W, PALUNC, Marks_21, KDGJ, GMCS, StevenD), 571 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,465
Posts545,078
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 18 of 32 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 31 32
SDH Offline

Thanks David, the photo is digital, I have a studio set-up in my workshop.
The gun is from original Belgian Britte metalwork made in the 1930's so it is almost French. I imported a few unfinished 12ga. brld action several years ago. This was the gun shown in the arcaded fences column in SSM. There has been a lot of metalwork involved as well as stocking. The engraving is by Larry Peters of WA.
BTW, I'm very familiar with Fashingbauers work, mostly through photos in books. He was quite an artisan who seemed to enjoy single shots.

A pic of the freshly chiseled fences.
SDH

SDH

If I recall the cochineal beetle is likley to be found somewhere in Latin America (and regardless of locale of origin) would be an ancient ingredient for fabric use. And therefore the original application would be water based. I may also be thinking of the lac bug. A net search would settle the issue.

It might be possible to import raw materials in some ground and purified consumer-safe form. Or perhaps the Real Thing may be obtained en situ and brought back. Check the fiber and fabric freak sub-culture which usually does a lot of rug and rope work. The Chicago Art Institute would be a source for printed info as would the library.

Fabric and wood dyes are the same thing. My issue is to get a proper walnut underbark concoction for use on my old muskets and maybe even a Catalan style stock I want to fit to a shotgun. This would have an appropriate black finish and be decorated like a caucasian harlot with appropriate inlays of mammoth, ivory, bone, shell, brass, etc, plus red coral and whatever else is in my bins.

Sidelock
Sidelock

You can normally find what you want by researching the fabric, dyes, paints and ink,industries.But frankly you will find Old Codgers like Crossed Chisels & Ken Hurst have done it or know someone who has or can do it.
Me ? I'm far too young and still learning

Sidelock
Sidelock

Someone should undertake the task of editing this great thread!

Thought I'd share this "before & after" with you lot:

Phots not very "pro" but enough to give you an idea.

JC(AL)

P.S.: Yogi, you can email me pictures and I can post for you. JC

"...it is always advisable to perceive clearly our ignorance."ť Charles Darwin

Jaycee, is that after staining with Behlens blood red through the original finish, or after finish was striped and then stained with alkanet and refinished or exactly what was done?. Whatever you did it looks very nice BTW. Well done.

Cody

Tact is for those not clever enough to be sarcastic
Sidelock
Sidelock

Cody, sorry, neither.

Stripped and re-done using a mixture of water soluble dyes and linseed oil.
Can't wait to get my hands on some Behlens Blood Red though!

JC(AL)

JAYCEE WENT FROM NICE HO-HUM TO BEAUTIFUL CLASSY LOOK...I LIKE...WELL DONE...

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thank you Bugsy.

JC(AL)

Sidelock
Sidelock

JC, Excellent job! The gun's appearance is much warmer with the refinish; If I saw the original in your gun rack I'd appreciate the engraving, 2 barrel sets and 3 piece forends, but I'd want to pick up and swing the final version.

(keep that old pad...in 25 years we'll be putting 'em back on )

Sidelock
Sidelock

Jaycee, I can appreciate the gun both before and after, but notice how the fancy back inletting to the action stands out and catches the eye more with the darker finish? For my personal taste that gun will look fabulous if you were to build up the finish on it and bring out the richness that appears to be sitting there, shouting out to be released. Well done.
Perhaps a violin finish would be the answer?

Page 18 of 32 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 31 32

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.