May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
5 members (mark, ohiochuck, NTaxiarchis, 2 invisible), 259 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,537
Posts546,031
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
sxsman1 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

What did Remington use on their gun stocks in 1940?
Thanks, Pete

Sidelock
Sidelock

I think it was Duco lacquer, until you got into the graded guns.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Ted Schefelbein
I think it was Duco lacquer, until you got into the graded guns.

Best,
Ted

Ted,

Do you think is was applied as a protective topcoat in a clear form, or do you think they used a colored version?

Regards
Ken

I prefer wood to plastic, leather to nylon, waxed cotton to Gore-Tex, and split bamboo to graphite.
Sidelock
Sidelock

UV light causes Duco to eventually have an amber hue. I don't know if Remington tinted it, or not. I do remember reading that the plant ran out one day and sent a maintenance guy down to the hardware store to buy more.
That was in a plant history article, and leads me to believe it was just garden variety Duco.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

It makes one wonder if a current-type automotive clearcoat would work. They don't appear to yellow with age like the old lacquers. Anyone ever try it?

Regards
Ken

Last edited by Ken61; 02/02/15 01:56 PM.

I prefer wood to plastic, leather to nylon, waxed cotton to Gore-Tex, and split bamboo to graphite.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I think that clearcoat, without some stain under it, would look too light, like cheap furniture.

hippie redneck geezer
Sidelock
Sidelock

Clear is clear.

All I really want to say here is, "What are you trying to accomplish?"

If it is a refinish of an old stock, then use a dye over a sealer, building up layers until you are a little bit lighter than what you want. Then tone the finish coat to match final shade.
Sometimes I'll take scrapings from a piece, dissolve then in something, and then make a smear. Helps to see if the top coat was toned or not.
Modern water based finishes I use a great deal of general Finishes Pre-cat urethane for a very durable clear finish. But it is CLEAR. Almost blue it's so clear. So, that way whatever figure you started with, or tone you worked up, is protected, and visible. Most of the oil based top coats dry yellow.
Here's a chest with a leatherized undertone, covered with pre-cat urethane. Hard as concrete. Dog claw proof so far.

The point is, once the look was reached, I didn't want the top coat to change the color or lift it, or muddy it.
I needed that window seat to look 150 years old, in 2 weeks.

For a gunstock, I would use traditional top coats, unless it was a Browning. smile
It's all about purpose. If you want it to look like no one was there 100 years from now, use a traditional finish, and tone it a little toward amber on a sample piece.

Out there doing it best I can.
sxsman1 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks for the replies, What finish could I buy today that would resemble a Duco lacquer?
Pete

Sidelock
Sidelock

DuCo lacquer was a nitrocellulose lacquer. Quick drying, high build, and polished out to high gloss. Perfect for mass produced automobiles.

Instrument people still use nitrocellulose lacquers.

Behlen's is popular. Available at Woodcraft stores.

As Steve Schoene, Master finisher says, "Test your finish on scrap or you might have to scrap your finish"

Here's a finish schedule from an instrument site http://www.stewmac.com/How-To/Online_Resources/Finishing/Nitrocellulose_Finishing_Schedule.html

I water pop, sand lightly at 320, dye, then scuff with 400 just to be sure it's as even as I want. Test samples can really help you understand the transparency of base dyes. I typically use them to highlight figure, or establish a base color I want a hint of in the final look.
I'm doing a door today that I can post pictures of tonight.
But it will be in misfires.

Addendum: For purposes of clarity, look at the piece for what it is. Economy shotguns only had a certain amount of time put into finish. You can sand to 220, water pop, and de-fuzz at 320, and be putting finish on a surface that is smoother than original. And it will show. Over finishing makes for a very "plasticized" look.
That is not how these guns were delivered.
They were smooth, but not polished.
Compulsive pore filling was not part of the program on hdwe store guns. Even color, a certain thickness of finish, and that's about it.
So, you can take a chunk of American walnut from Menard's, and fiddle with it to create a finish schedule that near exactly matches the original pretty easily.

Wood finishes are a journey that is a great deal of fun. Practicing on scrap is part of that.

Last edited by ClapperZapper; 02/03/15 11:34 AM. Reason: Added an addendum

Out there doing it best I can.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.