March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
8 members (Licensed to kill, bigblock, Der Ami, JDH, Jtplumb, 1 invisible), 361 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,993
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

So 8am-9pm smile

A.M. Little Bespoke Gunmakers LLC.
Mineola, TX
Michael08TDK@yahoo.com
682-554-0044
Sidelock
Sidelock

I like it, a lot.

This brings up a bespoke stock making question I've been wanting to ask.

I see it done two ways -from a solid blank as shown here -or by modifying a donor stock which is then duplicated. How do most custom stockers do it? Is it a matter of personal preference?

Sidelock
Sidelock

It depends on one's training and abilities to make money fastest. Some stockers are really adept at making stocks quickly from a block. Some have not mastered that skill so a pantagraphed stock allows them to make money in business. I do not own a mill. Nor have I learned how to master that machine. Aaron did a great job of using his mill to enhance his skills and shorten his work time. Neither is right or wrong. The project I am going to stock depends on if I use a duplicated stock or not. I just finished a Boss 20 S X S from a block using hand tools. I have a 1897 Remington to upgrade and it is duplicated so I get the correct period shapes right.

Dennis Earl Smith/Benefactor Life NRA, ACGG Professional member
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

On this one I didn't have a pattern, so that choice was made for me. If I had a pattern or was intending to make a somewhat standardized stock pattern/rifle line I would make a pattern and duplicate.

What I didn't show is how far I can really go with the mill. One can go so far as to get most of the rounding done.

My first step is to cut the side profile, then I flip the blank 90 degrees and mill the widths; width of magazine area, width of forend, width of the butt, grip width. By taking the vise off the mill and blocking/clamping the blank one can set the correct angles to do the taper on the forend, butt, etc...With careful placement of the blank you can even start the rounding of the butt; toe to back of grip and heel to the noe of comb.

The pics below are me just milling the widths. Notice the blocking and clamping of the blank. This blank called for neutral cast and no cheek-piece, which made things easier. Blending, swamping, and further rounding is done by hand. machining the blank as far as possible makes for an incredibly consistant base to work from.

Mineola, TX
Michael08TDK@yahoo.com
682-554-0044
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thats interesting. Thanks.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Aaron -

I have a G&H M70 in .404 and that is of course odd because it is a later (probably 50's) rifle in the classic G&H style and a .404 on a M70. The barrel contour is way to heavy but it shoots like a benchrest rifle and is very comfortable to shoot. I will try to get a few pics up and one of the follower. Nice work.

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Gunmaker,
That is nice work.The shots of using the mill are interesting. I was lucky enough to watch Erik Reis( was Master Stockmaker for FW Heym at the time)in his private shop at home a few times.He also had a mill he did some of the inletting on,but he removed the excess wood from the outside with a band saw. I was absolutly amazed at how quickly he shaped it up.He marked the contours on the blank with templates an by hand.I was impressed by how well he could follow the contours in the tight places, in addition to the speed. This was freehand,so there was no "setup time" involved.
Mike

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Time for an update. The customer hasn't put a rush on anything and slowly pays as he is allowed. He has the same problem as I; young, broke, and both starting new businesses!

Since my last post the gun has grown extended top and bottom tangs, scope mounts for Talley QD rings, some checkering, and a preliminary quick polish to get ready for engraving. The rifle was handed over to the fairly new but very capable engraver John Todd while at the DSC show. I hope to have it back in four months time.

I was able to find an up and coming freelance model to hold the rifle while I took some pics(not really).

Last edited by gunmaker; 01/12/16 09:18 PM.

Mineola, TX
Michael08TDK@yahoo.com
682-554-0044
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I didn't take a picture of the top tang polished up, but here it is in a raw state. I learned adding extended tangs after shaping a stock is a royal PITA...I plan to tidy things up on the top tang with a laser welder upon getting it back from the engraver. Please ignore the screw, I like to hold off on making nice screws until just before going to engraving. This picture was taken a while ago and doesn't show the new proper screw.

Mineola, TX
Michael08TDK@yahoo.com
682-554-0044
Sidelock
Sidelock

That is impressive! You like challenges with that top tang. I can't imagine how hard that muhst have been . I'm inletting a very simple shotgun action tonight and though it is 100,000 times simpler, it will not be as nicely done as that.

How long is that barrel? I like long barrels and that one looks almost long enough smile

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.