April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (fab500, David Williamson, arrieta2), 1,070 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,468
Posts545,135
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Sidelock
Sidelock

They need to have a show on the Outdoor Channel called "Pimp my Gun." Some guy in tweed comes rolling up to the farm house in a jag, and tells the farmer he's going to trick out the nitro behind the barn door. The farmer then jumps up and down, screaming with glee, and then starts crying. It would be great.

Imagination is everything. - Einstein
Sidelock
Sidelock

'subject kinda drags me slightly OT to a famous (to me anyway) quote by my beerdrinking friend Junior regarding the BLM's recent activity of pushing all the old late 1800/early 1900 mining buildings down into the mineshafts and covering up the barren desert to look like no one had been there. "If the Egyptians had a BLM, they'd have plowed up the pyrimids." or the other one of his quotes: "One man's petroglyph is another man's grafitti."

Sidelock
Sidelock

Well, count me as grateful the BLM ain't a bunch of Egyptians then.
Brent

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

So ol'Chuck, you say "to hell with restrained opulance."
You had better count your invites to "A" list summer lawn parties then.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Well, o'Lowell, I suppose "A List" is defined by the eye of the invitee. I'm pretty sure Feinstein and Boxer won't invite me over for bangers and mash or to swat the shuttlecock ... but then I reciprocate the gesture to them ... and add one or two.

I've a fairly small circle of friends I can show up at unannounced with a lager packet under an arm and my pup in trail. That's enough for a po boy from the 'burbs. I'm fixin' to light my grill and poison some in-laws this sunny weekend. Summer's here in SoCal. Keep yer head low, I see you guys are havin tornadoes all around.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Watch those weenie roasts in the park Chuck!

Last edited by Lowell Glenthorne; 05/10/07 06:12 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Roast one weenie in the park and from then on.....

Sidelock
Sidelock

Jumping in a bit late here but for 4 years I was the president of the Hudson Valley Pipe Club (actually my title was Rob I, Dictator. President implied a democracy and we needed to someone to make decisions.)

We have several outstanding American pipemakers in the club, Paul Bonaquisti, Joe Skoda, Rolando Negoita and Bill Fueuerbach whose family owns SM Frank, the parent company of Kaywoodie & Medico. The factory is here in Westchester, NY and we have our annual Xmas party there, all are invited for dinner and pipe smoking contest (like watching grass grow).

The similarities between pipes and guns is very interesting, the Brits led the way and are considered traditionalists to this day, the Italians make much racier pipes and some consider them to be the current state of the art. Germany has taken over much of the tobacco production, it's pipes can be a bit gaudy but they all have special sized filters. OTOH the highest prices for new pipes are garnered by some of the Danish makers and in America we have many pipemakers, each showing initiative in creating their own style.

One dichotomy is that with pipes the straightest grain are the most highly prized and expensive, burl and marblecake is pretty common.

I myself have over 250 pipes from many makers including Dunhill, Charatan, Sasieni, Comoy, (old) Barlings, Ashtons, old Petersons, many of the newer Italian makers and the great Danes, Kaywoodie and a dozen other Americans, lot's of meerschaums and calabashes. LG, I have a complete collection of Dunhill Xmas pipes, both the first and second set. No wine cellar but a tobacco cellar, with a couple hundred tins aging, mostly English blends but for a lovely after dinner get some MALTHOUSE, Virgina laced with Scotch.

I also have a complete collection of Eric Nording's hunting pipes. Eric is a Danish maker who is also an avid hunter and each year he makes a pipe that is an interpretation of a game animal.

My favorite of his is the Pheasant pipe, I'm sure you can see the inspiration. It comes with me on all my pheasant endeavors.

He has many others, duck, goose, deer , boar, quail, etc.

Good thing they don't take up as much room as guns, damn things are all over the place.

5-10 years ago you could make some very good finds at tag sales, flea markets and even antique shops but the internet and Ebay has ruined that market.

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
Sidelock
Sidelock

....a weenie roaster for life.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I was debating whether or not I should re-hijack this thread, but since Rob already did...someone earlier mentioned Ross Seyfried's pipes; those Elksong (?) pipes he advertises in DGJ look really cool. Does anyone here own one, or have comments? Frankly I probably won't spend the money it'd take to get one, but I really like them!

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. - Albert Einstein
Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.