May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
5 members (jake van dyke, oskar, Licensed to kill, Jeremy Pearce, bushveld), 271 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,537
Posts546,025
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
Sidelock

I thought Robert Redford did quite well for an actor in the lion charge scene in 'Out of Africa' - pulling out the spare pair and quietly getting ready for the charge with his Lancaster .450 DR ...

... then in steps La Streep with her bolt action, held up to the shoulder like a crutch, not a rifle and finishes the bugger orf! Not very lady-like!

Tim

Sidelock
Sidelock

While we're on the subject of guns on film and TV.
One of my favourite films is 'Shout at the devil'
I still cringe when Lee Marvin and Roger Moore are caught poaching, they throw their double rifles into a river before running away.

Another gem is in an old British feature film from a rather violent, gritty 70's cop show called The Sweeney.
(Cockney rhyming slang, Sweeney Todd - Flying squad )
In the film, the police are hunting down some ruthless armed robbers. In one scene, a bank manager has a sawn off shotgun stuffed in his face and if I remember correctly, the robber goes on to say...
'You are privileged to be looking down the barrels of a gold plated Purdey shotgun squire !
Now, as a bank manager, I'm sure you'll appreciate that any man capable of cutting a gun like that in half wouldn't hesitate to cut you in half ! '
Ah, they don't make films like that anymore smile

Last edited by El Garro; 01/09/15 02:19 PM.

Rust never sleeps !
Sidelock
Sidelock

I attended a police auction of confiscated firearms about 20 years ago in Houston. Most expensive gun sold for $700, a Winchester 21 with 18" barrels.

Hunt with vintage classics.
The right of the people to keep & bear arms shall not be infringed.
Sidelock
Sidelock

How about the movie "Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels". You've got to like a movie that has as a major subplot the reuniting of a matched pair of Holland & Holland's.

Does anyone recognize the express rifle Michael Douglas had in "The Ghost and the Darkness"? In that one, Val Kilmer shot one of the lions with a Howdah Pistol.

There's always the John Wayne film "Big Jake", where he refers to his doubles as "Greeners"...

Last edited by Ken61; 01/09/15 02:35 PM.

I prefer wood to plastic, leather to nylon, waxed cotton to Gore-Tex, and split bamboo to graphite.
Sidelock
Sidelock

The Michael Douglas character in that movie was a Hollywood invention. And Patterson didn't kill either lion with a Howdah. But in many respects, not a bad attempt. Robert Stack--an actor who knew his way around guns--starred in a 50's version of the story of the Tsavo maneaters called "Bwana Devils". Early 3D movie.

Wife and I saw "The Ghost and the Darkness" together. She nudged me in one scene where a lion is carrying off a victim and whispered "A lion can't do that!" Pointed out to her that a leopard, which is a bunch smaller, can do that--as reported by Corbett in some of his maneater hunting stories. Reinforced later on when she saw our mouse catcher in chief trotting across the yard with a full-grown rabbit in his mouth, weighed about as much as he did.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Show this to your wife,and then-- don't go near the water

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBNYwxDZ_pA

Sidelock
Sidelock

Larry,

I should have said "shot at" one of the lions. The lions are mounted and displayed in the Field Museum in Chicago. They were maneless males, but the mounts are reportedly kind'a pieced together. They don't look too bad, but it's been several years since I saw them..

I prefer wood to plastic, leather to nylon, waxed cotton to Gore-Tex, and split bamboo to graphite.
Sidelock
Sidelock

That jag/croc set-to is awesome. And I don't use that word lightly.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

A movie scene I remember was a Clint Eastwood western. A bad guy is sniping from what looks like 1/2 a mile away. Good ole Clint fetches a case from his horse, removes a takedown bolt rifle, attaches a scope, looks through it, does a couple of adjustments to the scope and blows the guy off with one shot.

I learn something every day, and a lot of times it's that what I learned the day before was wrong

james-l #389885 01/09/15 10:55 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: james-l
A movie scene I remember was a Clint Eastwood western. A bad guy is sniping from what looks like 1/2 a mile away. Good ole Clint fetches a case from his horse, removes a takedown bolt rifle, attaches a scope, looks through it, does a couple of adjustments to the scope and blows the guy off with one shot.

the movie was Joe Kidd -

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.