April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (CJ Dawe), 983 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,467
Posts545,124
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

Steve,

That is Michael's cataloging tag. I have a Niedner .25/35 hand die set that he gave me and it has the same tag on it.

Gary

Sidelock
Sidelock

Steven:

Thanks for the link to the Krag. Somehow I missed it earlier. Stunning rifle! Hope the Yellowstone adventure works out.
w

Sidelock
Sidelock

Steve ...

Gary is correct. Michael left a small number of Niedner items that he tagged with a short description and an inventory number. I have been unable to find any list referencing these numbers. His computer is still in his research office. I haven't had the time to sift through the photos and files ... yet.

... Joe

SDH-MT Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Gary, Joe,
Thanks, that's about what I figured. If you ever figure out a list or code for #22 please let me know. The buttplate pattern is still sitting on the oak roll top desk I inherited from my Dad.

And thanks again to Dan!

Happy Holidays to all~
Steven

Sidelock
Sidelock

Stephen,
Really incredible inletting on the Shelhamer butt plate. The Continental guns often have the inletting black left at the final fit like this job. Any reason for that?
Dennis

Dennis
Sidelock
Sidelock

Steven,
I just returned only a few hours ago from a short hunting trip to find this post.I don't know what to say to you or the guy's here other than Thank You all for your kind replies.
I guess that a little bit of Michael Petrov may have rubbed off on me. I did not know Michael for very long but the few times that we met at his Anchorage home will always hold dear.
I had acquired a beat up Barney Worthen 1903 and wanted to bring it back to it's most possible original condition so I called Michael. He told me that he would help in any way he could, so I suggested that I bring the rifle to him for evaluation.
I had not left my Kodiak home in nearly 6 years but was exited to meet Michael and soon found out that he was the kindest person I have ever met. I think we spent about 20 minutes discussing the Worthen after more than three hours of handling Wundhammers,Adolf,kirkwoods,Etc.
After that visit Michael and I kept email and phone contact as if we had known each other for a hundred years. His only request was that I join this forum and share the Worthen restoration will all of you. That rifle is near complete but I will post parts of it ASAP.
Thanks to all, and Happy Holidays.
Dan.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Steve and Me on the last day of June 2014 seminar.

Sidelock
Sidelock

After the buttplate was formed, how was it checkered? Modern ones are investment cast but I have one that seems to have been machined.

SDH-MT Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Gary D.
Michael isn't really gone. He lives on through sentiments like this.
As Dan relates of knowing MIchael and is clearly apparent here…

Thanks again Dan, as you know that's my Gerstner tool chest over my left shoulder..

This pattern plate is not checkered. I Presume the plates were cold formed with a hardened steel, two part die on a press then checkered with a roll die that followed the contours, but I don't know???
I've always wondered how they milled the 1/8" edge border all the way around?? The mill cutter swirls are easy to see, as I remember..
I don't have a factory Niedner butt in the shop to compare?
Post a picture of it Bob!

Last edited by SDH-MT; 12/19/14 12:12 PM. Reason: edit
Sidelock
Sidelock

Bob,

That really is a great question and another good reason to buy a set of Michael's books. Treat yourself, it's Christmas. If you a re not familiar with knurling on a lathe, there may be a video of the process on Youtube. In any case, you set up a lenghth of fair sized tubing (don't remember the size) and knurl it. A knurling tool has two wheels with opposing lines on two wheels. this is fed up and down the length of pipe until it appears to be 'checkered". Then they cut out a section and shaped and beat it over a mandrel or fixture to form the butplate. I am sure it took some final shaping. Michael noted that these would be color hardened and those that did not produce color satisfactorily would be blued. Michael acquired this information from former employee face to face and recordings of those conversations exist I believe.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.