March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
9 members (FlyChamps, Hammergun, 12boreman, Borderbill, cpa, 2 invisible), 376 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,007
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#160489 09/09/09 09:26 AM
ellenbr Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

[img][/img]
"Great Lion Battle of Leipzig" circa WWI???

F.W. Vandrey cornered the market in Hamburg by being probably the largest and was “the” outifitter in Hamburg. Up until circa WWI, various makers outside of Suhl/Zella-Mehlis sourced their components and completed their customer’s order in house or purchased longarms “in the white” from Suhl/Zella-Mehlis. Post WWI and after a devastating loss of craftsmen due to the conflict, the whole of Germany sourced the craftsmen of Suhl/Zella-Mehlis for their orders. Robert Schüler of Køln/Cologne appears to have been the contact to the sourcing of Suhl or due to family connections owned a shop there or an interest in a facility of another name. Ernst Steigleder of Berlin & Suhl is another strong possibility as early on he had a close working relationship with Sauer. My hats really off to this fella because I believe he had the funds and connections to obtain the rank of Hofbüchsenmacher, or some similar title, as evident by this photo of Ludwig Schiwy(2nd from the left) and Ernst Steigleder(2nd from the right) and others of the Diana hunting club of Berlin, probably at a competition shoot.

[img][/img]
lifted from Fredik Franzen article

But Ernst Steigleder chose to go it alone solely on his own name and merit. In my book there’s a lot to be said about that.

Ludwig Schiwy at some point owned the F.W. Vandrey & Company firm and it’s name is seen on examples and scopes peddled by J. Nowotny and many others. Ernst Steigleder heirs and assigns give Ludwig Schiwy as being born in the 1880s and I guess him to have obtained his master’s brief before WWI. The interval between the wars seems to be the peak of Ludwig Schiwy’s career with Hermann Goering and his inlaws as clients, had at least one fixed sight patent and looks to have departed this world sometime in the late 1950s in West(?) Berlin. Post WWII and as a consequence of WWII Ludwig Schiwy was reduced to peddling airguns and ammo.

Stahl & Berger was also of Hamburg and of course sourced such craftsmen of Suhl such as E. Schmidt & Habermann, Kerner indirectly thru the F.W. Vandrey & Company firm and I’m sure others. Post WWII it appears that most of the craftsmen of Stahl & Berger migrated to Hartmann(Gerhard) and Weiß(Otto). Hartmann, Weiß & Martin Hagn are somehow connected to the F.W. Vandrey & Company as well as Stahl & Berger. Hartmann looks to have been on his Journeyman walk-about relatively close and either worked at F.W. Vandrey & Company and/or some area or hunting preserve referred to as “Büma on the Höltigbaum”( http://translate.google.com/translate?hl...l%3Den%26sa%3DG ) while Otto Weiß was at Merkel in Suhl, Glaser in Zurich and on to Purdey’s in London with his walk-about after escaping East German in 1958 more than likely on a fast track Journeyman program similar to Mr. Dietrich Apel. In the early 1960s Ottow Weiß returned to German to found the business Hartmann & Weiß with his old buddy Gerhard Hartmann. 6 years later Peter Nelson of Purdey left Purdey to join Hartmann & Weiss and after 3 years returned to London to open a branch Hartmann & Weiss office. With that it seems as sourcing has become global and come full circle.

[img][/img]
Can anyone described what's on the muzzle?
Ah, I couldn't get the pic to cooperate so look here for
"Ludwig SCHIWY Berlin Doppelbüchsdrilling 2x8x57IR 20/70 mit 3 Ejektoren" a few over a baker's dozen down here:
http://www.feine-jagdwaffen.de/cms/index.php?id=8,0,0,1,0,0

Anyone have any info on the F.W. Vandrey & Company firm?

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

ellenbr Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Axel, any idea which W mechanic, if any, used the encirced rooster as a trademark? This is on a F.W. Vandrey Hamburg peddled example.

Serial number looks to be W158.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Raimey,

Your scholarship never fails to astound me.

Best regards, Clay

ellenbr Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbt...true#Post277780

Makes one wonder if the chicken stamp is the same.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

ellenbr Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Stumbled across this F.W. Vandrey example which was repaired by E. Kerner & Company and looks to have been originally made by E. Kerner & Company prior to 1939 even though it is a blitz action.

Good image for the ZM proofhouse post 1939.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Have not read Fredrik's undoubtably excellent article, but as a point of information; Gerhardt Hartmann and Otto Weiss met whilst working at Vandrey post WW2.

Best,

C.

Boxlock
Boxlock

I have an Ernst Steigleder 1922 drilling 16gax2 and 8.3R. It has a 2 power Zeiss scope. Does anyone else have one of these or know much about them?

Rog

ellenbr Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

May have been sourced from Sauer as they were real chummy. Post some images & let's have a gander. Otherwise forward them to me & I'll gladly post them for you. Y'all still have mule skinners & Mountain Dew/Tennessee Tranquilizer up that way?

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

You are probably aware; but just in case. I note that the rifle tube is a J bore; that is .318, and not the more modern JS .323 bore. You will need the earlier ammunition. I think RWS and Sellior & Bellot still make it. Lagopus..... Apologies if you were aware.

Boxlock
Boxlock

I realize this an ancient posting. That being said, I have been searching for the source of "Vandrey, Hamburg" for years. I purchased a 1959 production Walther PP .22LR in 2004. It is stamped on the frame just aft of the trigger, "Vandrey" on the left side "Hamburg" on the right. I would like to thank you for solving the mystery for me. Have a good New Year!

Thanks again,
Ron

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.