April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (canvasback, LGF), 1,081 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,468
Posts545,135
Members14,409
Most Online1,271
Apr 26th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I came into possession of, what for the life of me appears to be a mint/like new condition, 1895 Ludwig and Loewe Chilean Mauser,Calvary Saddle Ring Carbine. It has on the stock, what appears to be a light strike but unsanded cartouche of Chile dated 1895 on the left side of the buttstock. It may be arsenal refinished but it doesn't look it. It is from the "A" block of rifles and 1041 serial number. The blue is 100% and other than 2 or 3 bumps from handling, so is the stock. The barrel is bright and sharp. My question, since I don't do Military Weapons, I wondered what is this worth? Any help would be appreciated.

Sidelock
Sidelock

when it comes to questions about military Mausers, www.gunboards.com is the best, I've asked questions there
and sometimes John Ball the author of "Military Mausers of the World" has offered his opinion. This forum is great for custom
rifles, maybe not quite as great since the passing of Michael Petrov, but the gunboards forums are great for military rifles.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ludwig Loewe & Co. Chilean Model 1895 long rifles in close to mint condition are not unusual. If all original and in essentially unissued condition, a sale price of $1,000 to $1,200 or so is typical. Here is link showing an unissued long M95 rifle, still partially covered with cosmoline, http://www.antiquearmsinc.com/1895-mauser-near-mint-unissued.htm.

Ludwig Loewe M1895 cavalry carbines, on the other hand, are typically well-used. They sell for a few hundred dollars and would be worth little or no more if re-finished. A carbine in essentially original, un-issued condition would be quite rare. Potential buyers would probably suspect a refinish somewhere along the line, unless they could be convinced otherwise.

No comparable recent sales probably exist to predict market value for an original, unissued condition carbine. It should be worth more than an unissued condition long rifle, but how much more depends on what an individual interested buyer would be willing to pay. A Gunbroker auction may be the only way to find out. To obtain true value at auction, numerous high-quality photos fully documenting original, un-refinished condition would be required.

All Ludwig Loewe Chilean Mausers, both long rifles and carbines, are recognized by the BATF as antiques because Ludwig Loewe was absorbed into DWM prior to 1899 and M95 receiver production after this occurred had DWM, rather than the typical Ludwig Loewe, "Manufactura Loewe Berlin", stamping. I have seen an official BATF letter verifying this.

Are you sure that you have a carbine, and not a short rifle? Both have the saddle ring. Barrel length on the short rifle is 21", on the carbine it is 18.25".

Last edited by vangulil; 11/29/14 02:46 PM.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

It is the Carbine Model, as the BARREL LENGTH MATCHES, and the one in the photo you linked has more wear on the BLUE AND STOCK than mine. Mine also has a turned down bolt handle that is blued and the one thing I noticed, is there is no serial number stamped on my stock, UNDER THE RECEIVER RING, AS ON THE LONG RIFLE IN THE PHOTOS. Every single piece of mine has matching SERIAL NUMBERS, INCLUDING THE CLEANING ROD! The metal does not appear to have been polished as the numbers are strong and crisp. The stock is still stained in an oil [linseed?] and then coated in a waxy substance. The only real scratch on my stock, appears to have been made by the rifle adjacent to its' Saddle Ring, WHILE CRATED. However I did make an error in the original posting, THE SERIAL NUMBER IS A1041, NOT THE 86,000 RANGE!!!!! It is one nice 7X57, THAT'S FOR SURE.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sounds great.

If you ever decide to sell it, a Gunbroker auction with a high reserve might be a good way to go. It could be worth quite a bit to the right collector, as carbines in the condition of yours are rarely seen.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

CJF Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have collected mauser rifles for years and don't recall seeing a mint/unissued carbine like you described. Unfortunately the pictures aren't working now. Can those be fixed?

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Yes, here they are. Obviously the rifle of which we speak; for those who don't know, is the bottom one.

CJF Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Looks nice. It would help to confirm we're talking apples to apples here re condition without any close up pictures of the markings (siderail, crest, serial number fonts), but I would think you would be in $800-900 range. More detailed pictures would help (or they would at least help satisfy my curiosity!)

BTW, for reference, Swede 1894 carbines are usually $500-800. Persian m49 carbines are $500-700 and Argentine 1891s are sub-$500. Of these, only the Persians are often found in unissued condition.

Last edited by CJF; 12/27/14 05:00 PM. Reason: edit year for Swedish carbine
Sidelock
Sidelock

Swedish M/94 carbines can be found in the $500 to $800 range, but they are in less than collector quality. For a collector quality M/94, $1,000 and up is typical. More for one of the 12,000 or so "antique" M/94 Swedish carbines made in Oberndorf in 1895 in good condition.

They are available with patience, either on Gun Broker, or from dealers like Empire Arms. Empire Arms has sold a reasonable number of collector quality M/94s, some 1895 Oberndorfs, in the last few years for between $1,200 and $1,500. They usually don't last long once they are posted.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.