May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
3 members (GMCS, Jimmy W, welder), 633 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,502
Posts545,501
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#387412 12/15/14 11:37 PM
SDH-MT Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

As many of you know, Michael Petrov made a lot of friends over the decades because he was such a nice guy and passionate researcher. Michael first called me about 30(?) years ago to introduce himself and offer story material on his favorite subject. I knew of him by reputation but I was writing largely about contemporary custom guns and rifles and seldom had the opportunity to take advantage of his material.

Much later, after I relocated to Montana he called because he wanted to improve his photo set-up and I spent a few hours on the phone with him telling him virtually everything I knew about gun photography. He implemented everything I told him and before long was showing photos every bit as high quality as I was doing.

When it came to questions about compiling and publishing books he would call and I told him what I knew.

Michael was always so forthcoming, thorough and generous with information that I was compelled to treat him in the same manner. I shared a lot of information that I might not with others simply because he was going to actually use it unlike many people who just want to talk about it.

When he was planning Volume 2 he asked for some advise and I told he absolutely Needed a Foreword and About The Author blurbs. To quote him as near as I can remember, “Yeh, I know. I read them in your books but I’m not sure I want to do that”. Humility, period.

I told him he owed it to his readers who wanted to know who this guy MP was.
He was reluctant to the point that he was, the only time I ever experienced this, a bit of a PITA to get personal information out of in a phone interview.
Fortunately the last time I attended the Beinfeld Antique Show in Las Vegas, 2010. I was talking with MP and my friend Tim Crawford and said, ”Hey, wanna get some lunch?”

I will forever cherish the following two hours as the three of us talked over lunch and he told us much of his personal story. That info made it much easier to write the Foreword and Bio. Trying to fully define the depth and complexity his knowledge of Niedner in the Foreword I wrote that, “The Niedner buttplate is an almost universal custom gun feature: Petrov has the original pattern buttplate passed from the Michigan workshop to stockmaker Thomas Shelhamer on to a close friend and lastly gifted to Michael.”

Of all the items Joe Dobrinki has auctioned, of all the guns some of you were fortunately enough to acquire or study in the catalog and we have all been fortunate to entertain us with notions of owning, I wanted that buttplate pattern. I mean I Really Wanted it, and when I missed my chance to bid in the EBay auction I kicked myself heartily, then gave it up for lost…
A couple of days ago a small box arrived in my P.O. Box and in it was the Niedner, Shelhamer, Petrov buttplate pattern with this note.

Steve, I wanted to let you know what pleasure it was to meet you and work with you at the Seminar. (June 2014) You are a wonderful teacher and your help has been a major breakthrough for my stockmaking. I am seriously thinking about going fulltime into the business when I have perfected my skills. I hope you can continue these seminars as they are immensely helpful to the students, and Fun!
Enclosed is the Shelhamer/Niedner pattern buttplate that you had written of in M.P.s 2cd book. When it came up for auction I wanted to secure it from anyone that might use it on their work and have it lost forever. I also wanted you to have it for helping me with stockmaking and all that you have contributed to the gunmaking industry over the years.
Sometimes I would set it on my bench while I worked. Corny eh?
Anyway, Enjoy,
Dan Kleber

Dan is the fellow who came from Kodiak, AK last year with Springfield metal fully inlet into a walnut blank along with Kirkwood Bros. and Barney Worthen Springfield’s for show and tell and to use as study examples. He brought a large box full of tools and a smaller box full of frozen a halibut. His project went home virtually ready to sand and finish.

Known as Newton1131 here, you can count of his posts to be correct and accurate, but you aren’t going to see them very often because he is simply a low-key kinda guy.
Thanks Dan!

Dan at work on his Springfield in my Montana workshop, 6/14.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Wonderful Story. Keep it in good health.

Sidelock
Sidelock

That's just cool. Great story, selfless gesture by Dan, and glad you shared it with us.

Petrov mastered Selflessness. Seems like it's been showing up in others around here lately.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Michael isn't really gone. He lives on through sentiments like this.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Steven:

What you wrote is simply a touching and beautiful expression of friendship and love. Thanks

Wally

SDH-MT Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks guys, Dan is a great guy who had visited with Michael in his Anchorage gun room on a few occasions. He is a serious researcher, advanced collector and careful craftsman as well as a generous and thoughtful man; like Michael.

I'm looking for the appropriate place to keep this Niedner artifact. It will probably wind up in my Gerstner oak tool chest at the north end of my workbench. The chest was a graduation gift from my parents when I completed the gunsmithing program at Trinidad State with an engraved plaque my Dad installed acknowledging the date and event. Dan is also a grad of the Trinidad program, part of the reason he accomplished so much in my seminar.

We accumulate artifacts as we venture through life but it is the people, events and experiences that make the most memorable possessions. I particularly enjoy the chain of possession of the buttplate pattern reminding me of the people involved: Niedner, Shelhamer, a friend, MP, Dan and now myself, quite a journey, eh?

Just a few months ago I saw this imprint for the first time…underneath a Niedner buttplate on a custom Krag. I like to imagine I was the first to remove it since Shelhamer installed it… a pleasant fantasy.

Last edited by SDH-MT; 12/16/14 03:33 PM. Reason: edit
Sidelock
Sidelock

What a great gift, very glad it got to someone who could appreciate it.

How about you use your gunsmithing skills and fit it to a nice piece of walnut about 2" tall and have a very nice paperweight for your office. Or maybe get a picture frame and have a picture of Niedner, Michael, Shelhamer, and your friend Dan and mount the buttplate under the glass alongside them.

Just some random thoughts. Or you could just enjoy the memories it brings.

Regards,
John Holliger

Sidelock
Sidelock

Great stories, thanks for sharing.
Art

Sidelock
Sidelock

Steven:

Perhaps not so much of a fantasy. You are a lucky guy to have turned the screws loose perhaps for the first time since.... If you can please share the story of the Krag.

All of us have a sense of history and tradition as did Michael. I somehow feel in this era of black plactic that we need to buy a very fine and expensive bottle of the best scotch that was ever distilled and save it for the last of us who will really appreciate the fine gifts of past and curent craftsmen.

My best to all of you at this time of Christmas joy.

w

SDH-MT Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Antonio, Here's the link to the Niedner Krag posting: http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=373191&page=1
The rifle belongs to a good friend who shoots it and had no idea what was under the buttplate but lent it to me and told me to go ahead and disassemble the rifle. I wish I could afford to dick around with this stuff endlessly…I have a Mannlicher/Shoenauer 6.5 with a short barrel and a 3/4 length stock in the shop right now, (sight work, stock cracks, recoil pad) don't really have time to even photograph it. A Very cool rifle in an unusual factory configuration.
I'm supposed to be working on the ultimate Krag sporter at my workbench but have about seven other writing, research, consulting, photo, revolver, rifle projects happening and am trying to talk a sweetheart in San Diego into a winter snow coach excursion to Old Faithful. Guess which one is MOST important?
(BTW: I prefer Maker's Mark, and there may be more of us than you think,,,)

John, I do enough gun work, I'm inclined to just enjoy it as it is. I like the tag and want to ask Joe if he knows whose handwriting it is? I'm glad you fellows enjoy the story.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.