Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#386008 12/01/14 10:48 PM
murphy Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I recently purchased an older sxs with name barker. It is rough with quite a lot of rust on outside of barrel, the inside of barrels seem pretty clean. It has exposed hammers and some engraving on the receiver. I did not pay much for it and am thinking that I might try kerosene soak to clean up the barrels. My question is, will it work?

Sidelock
Sidelock

No, but it won't hurt either. You can use naval jelly to stop the rust but it will remove bluing too. Also where the rust was will be rough but it does work to stop rust down at the bottom of all the little pits and I don't know of anything else that does that.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Use 0000 steel wool and WD-40. Nothing removes pits, but this will do as good a job as possible on surface rust.
JR

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
JNW Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Steel wool and Hoppes also works well for rust removal and the Hoppes is a moderate rust preventive. Cleaning up an old gun can be fun.
Regards,
Jeff

Last edited by JNW; 12/02/14 11:40 AM.

"We are men of action. Lies do not become us."
Wesley
Sidelock
Sidelock

I like to strip the rusty parts & boil them in water for a bit. just like in the boiling stage of rust bluing this tends to help loosen the rust making it easier to remove with the steel wool & may tend to "Black" it just a bit. After the final scrubbing give it one more trip through the boiling water, be sure it is good & hot so will dry immediately & then treat with your favorite rust preventive.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

That's fine IF you have a burner and boiling tank. Most don't.
JR

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thomas Barker by Janssen Fils & Cie and Pieper

1908 Sears catalog T. Barker

Sidelock
Sidelock

Last year, I tried using feed grade molasses mixed with water as a rust remover for iron and steel. It was one of those "Where have you been all my life?" moments. It works great, and doesn't harm the good metal at all. There is no etching as with acids, and no hydrogen embrittlement of springs and critical parts as with electrolysis. It is non-toxic... you can dump the depleted solution on your lawn or shrubs. It lasts a long time, can be reused numerous times, and it is cheap. I paid $17.00 for a 50 lb. sack of dried molasses because I couldn't find the liquid molasses at any area feed stores. 50 lb. would make about 55 gallons of rust remover. Grocery store molasses is much more expensive and does not work as well as the feed grade stuff. It works by chelation like Evaporust, but is much less expensive. Drawbacks are that it is slow, and the fermented solution gets a bit stinky. Rusted items must be kept totally immersed in the solution. You would not want to use it indoors, but it is not as bad as some sources suggest. I read descriptions of a warm vomit or baby shit smell, but have not experienced anything even approaching that. I have a 5 gal. bucket of molasses solution in my garage that I may dump soon just so it doesn't freeze and crack the bucket, but it did not freeze when we got a few single digit night-time lows a couple weeks ago. I can't smell it at all with the lid on the bucket, and just take it outside to remove rusted items suspended by coat hanger wire. It does look really nasty when it ferments, but a scrub brush and garden hose rinse leaves perfectly clean steel or iron parts. It takes at least a week to work in warm weather, and up to a month in cold weather.

You can Google Search -- Molasses rust removal -- for lots more information.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.