March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
9 members (Jimmy W, fullandfuller, craigd, Lloyd3, gasgunner, 1 invisible), 303 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,980
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 20 of 44 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 43 44
gjw Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hi all, have not posted any pics lately, been deer hunting and helping the boys to fill their tags, so bird hunting took a back seat for the last 2 1/2 weeks. Anyway, went out to get the boys deer tags filled ans decided to take take the shotgun along, just in case. Managed to get 2, but lost one (sure do miss having a dog with me!!!!). The bird hunting was cut short when my number 2 son got his doe. Nice animal. His brother didn't fair well this year, he had a buck tag, but didn't fill it. SO now that deer season is over....time for birds.

Jim and his deer:

My bird, used my 12ga Merkel 147E:

Best!

Greg

Gregory J. Westberg
MSG, USA
Ret
Sidelock
Sidelock

It was a short morning for me. The weather was very nice when I got to the lake but it wasn't long before the clouds were rolling in. It was opening day of duck season so I didn't get to the landing until around 9:00. It wasn't supposed to rain until late afternoon but it first started sprinkling before 11:00 and quickly turned into a steady rain. At that point I only had two birds in the game bag. I decided that dry clothes and the fireplace at home would feel much better so I threw in the towel. On the way back I got lucky and picked up three more birds.

Sidelock
Sidelock

WOW,
Nice picture Snipey!
How do they taste, like woodcock?

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm sorry but I will have to let someone else answer regarding the comparison between snipe and woodcock. I have shot very few woodcock and it has been about twenty years since I shot my last one. Of the birds I've eaten a snipe is closer in taste to a dove than anything else.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Snipe & Woodcock are close cousins & have a similar diet so I'd say they taste the same with the snipe being a bit more earthy. Doves & liver are a close comparison.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Here's a 180 degree opinion from above. wink I prefer all of my wild birds cooked rare to medium rare. A comparison of dove with liver indicates to me a diet of cooked well-done game. To my palate, snipe is the mildest and best flavored of the red meat wild birds, up there with wood duck, teal and grain fed mallards and pintails. Dove are just below, but not by much. Woodcock are next. Some find the flavor of woodcock a little strong, but I don't.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I tend to agree with you and from time to time mix the slew footed Merganser(along with Coot) in the lot in duck balls & Persian duck & you really can't tell the difference. At camp or home we pretty much eat everything closer to raw/seared than well done but take 100 folks and lay out the above as you described & I'd hazard a guess that 90% will default to a liver taste being the common factor.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Raimey, I understand. As to those who could care less about eating wild game, I refer to Russell Chatham's great short story, The Great Duck Misunderstanding as to what they should be served and I don't mean what he imagined sticking in his eye at the end of the story. wink Gil

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: GLS
Here's a 180 degree opinion from above. wink I prefer all of my wild birds cooked rare to medium rare. A comparison of dove with liver indicates to me a diet of cooked well-done game. To my palate, snipe is the mildest and best flavored of the red meat wild birds, up there with wood duck, teal and grain fed mallards and pintails. Dove are just below, but not by much. Woodcock are next. Some find the flavor of woodcock a little strong, but I don't.

+1

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

At our camp timberdoodles are pan seared for exactly 2 minutes on each side.
Done perfectly medium rare on the inside without a hint of liver.

Page 20 of 44 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 43 44

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.